PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic Viewing Strategy

squuggy
07-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Okay, I'm going to start off by saying that despite having visited Disneyland MANY times, I have never seen Fantasmic. (Insert invective here) I will not make this same mistake for my upcoming visit in October. What I'm hoping you veterans can provide is a viewing strategy that will meet the highest number of the following criteria (in order of importance):

1] Zero additional money paid.
2] Minimal time staking out a location.
3] Good sight lines.
4] Easy exit at end of show.

In other words, I'm a cheap, lazy bum who wants the very best without doing a darn thing to get it. Thanks for the help!

DianeM
07-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Have you ever heard the expression, "Cheap, Good, or Fast... Choose 2 out of 3"? You can't get all of what you asked for. You can get fast seats with good lines and fairly easy exit by paying for riverside seating. You can get cheap, good seats if you wait a while, you can spend very little time staking out and have a quick exit - but you're going to be watching the show from the back of the crowd.

I've tried several strategies. Riverside seating was nice, although I only did it because my mother got us the tickets as a birthday present (I'm cheap, too). I've also gotten good views by chance. Last time, we watched the firewords from near IASW and decided to take a chance on Fantasmic. We went through the back gates into Frontierland and happened to hit the area by the Mark Twain just as they were dropping the ropes from the first show. We were in the 2nd row and had a wonderful view, and were among the first out of the park when the show ended. I've also stood out by HM and had a nice view, but I'm not sure if that position is open anymore.

Best bets: Go to the 2nd showing, if there is one. If you want a fairly quick exit, be near the gates to Frontierland and you'll be toward the head of the crowd (it will still be slow). Personally, my husband and I prefer to hold back and simply wait out the crowds. Don't worry about front row spaces. Most of the show happens on a raised stage or in the air, so you won't miss much if you're a few rows back (although it is better in the front row). Try not to be somewhere where your aerial view is blocked. And then relax and join the crowd in enjoying the show. If you get a chance, look around at the crowd. It can be as much fun watching their faces as watching the show. That's what I missed when I did the Riverfront seating... being in the crowd. Normally, I hate crowds, but this is a bit like being in the front row at a rock concert. It's fun.

Okay, I'm going to start off by saying that despite having visited Disneyland MANY times, I have never seen Fantasmic. (Insert invective here) I will not make this same mistake for my upcoming visit in October. What I'm hoping you veterans can provide is a viewing strategy that will meet the highest number of the following criteria (in order of importance):

1] Zero additional money paid.
2] Minimal time staking out a location.
3] Good sight lines.
4] Easy exit at end of show.

In other words, I'm a cheap, lazy bum who wants the very best without doing a darn thing to get it. Thanks for the help!

BarbD
07-15-2007, 05:17 AM
We once walked up on a Saturday in October (Halloween weakend) and sat on some stairs on the Haunted mansion side of the lagoon. We was right next to the seats that paid $55 but we got the same view for free and only got there maybe a half hour early.

disneyhound
07-15-2007, 08:05 AM
...I'm a cheap, lazy bum who wants the very best without doing a darn thing to get it...

I hope this is a trait that only surfaces while you are on vacation... :p

I have read about some folks getting lucky finding a spot on the POTC entrance overpass at the last minute. That would also give you the best location for a quick exit from the area after the show. Good Luck!

Chadsgal
07-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I have heard that you can wait behind the light towers because normally no one is sitting there because you can't see the river. but as soon as the show startes they go up in the air giving you an unabstrucked view. I told my friend about this and she tried it and said it worked great. They were able to show up just about an 1/2 hr early & she said the view was really good.

Bytebear
07-15-2007, 09:51 AM
If you want a quick retreat, I would stand closer to the Train Station and try hopping on a train after the show.

cyby
07-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I would stake out for the 1030 show. Right after the fireworks or so I can usually get a seat along the river (maybe 2 or 3 rows back). That reduces the wait time to about 30 or 45 minutes at most.

danyoung
07-16-2007, 06:40 AM
I have heard that you can wait behind the light towers because normally no one is sitting there because you can't see the river. but as soon as the show startes they go up in the air giving you an unabstrucked view....They were able to show up just about an 1/2 hr early & she said the view was really good.

There's one modification to this trick (my personal favorite trick!). This only works behind the central lighting tower, as the two outside ones go up into their show position much earlier. This central tower is right behind the show director's position, and it really does look like your view is going to be blocked (these towers are underground during the day, but easy to see at night). Just get there 20 to 30 minutes before showtime. Right about 10 minutes out, this tower goes up, and now you have a perfect, central view!

As to quick retreat at the end, my personal strategy is to just stay put and enjoy watching all the masses trying to cram their way out. Wait about 10 minutes and you'll find your exit is much more enjoyable when you're not shoulder to shoulder like cattle being herded through Adventureland and down Main Street.

tigger08
08-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the tip we will try this on our upcoming trip to Disneyland. With kids ranging from 12 to 4 I don't think they will be able to handle a long wait just for a show. And i want to keep the husband happy

danyoung
08-10-2007, 12:01 PM
One of the great things about this central position is that you're just a few steps from a food location in NO Square that serves the clam chowder in a bowl. You can send one of your family over there to grab munchies while the rest of the family stakes out their position.

Good luck, and let us know how it turned out!