PDA

View Full Version : Have you stayed at Candy Cane Inn?

Pages : [1] 2

mommy-san
07-14-2007, 07:43 PM
For all of you that have stayed at CCI, have you ever noticed a musty smell to the rooms? I have VERY sensitive allergies and I am worried that the rooms may bug them since it is not a brand new hotel. The older buildings at HoJo bugged me, but maybe just one of them- roof could have leaked at one point or something. We are jumping ship to CCI from HoJo in favor of comfy beds!
Thanks for your help!

ktrm
07-14-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't remember any weird smell but the hotel is older and the rooms are dark. I also don't remember the beds being particularly comfortable. Now the Hampton Inn, they had extremely comfortable beds. Are HoJos beds really, really uncomfortable? I am kindof concerned since I'm am staying there soon.

kikid
07-15-2007, 04:59 AM
I just booked the CCI for next week. I usually stay onsite, but we are just doing a quick trip to Knott's, and I wanted a less expensive place to stay. The CCI has won some awards, so I guess people are happy with the rooms. I'm picky, picky, picky, and will give you my opinion next week upon our return:)

nmjohnston874
07-15-2007, 06:02 AM
One of the travel websites, maybe Tripadvisor?, I can't recall, ranks the CCI as No. 1 throughout the resort, including onsite hotels. Just do a search on Mouseplanet and see all the raving reviews it has received.

We haven't been in a while opting for something closer, but could find nothing as nice as the CCI for its price. We're going back our next trip.

BTW, I've never noticed a musty smell, and I have stayed there MANY times.

barely
07-15-2007, 10:32 AM
We stayed at HoJo's for five days last September and we found the beds to be VERY comfortable.

ghoofie
07-16-2007, 01:08 PM
The Cane is our home away from home.
It is always so clean very clean 'smelling'.
One thing that I think helps there, even when
they had smoking rooms, they have shutters
instead of drapes, so odors don't 'linger'.

I even stay there on business trips when I can
easily stay at nice, more expensive hotels.

As for beds....very very comfortable.

Jim Dear and Darling
07-16-2007, 01:26 PM
How is the breakfast at the CCI? Is it pretty good as far as continental breakfasts go?

mommy-san
07-16-2007, 02:27 PM

We are booking a 'delux' room I think- the one that sleeps 5. I really hope the beds are comfy- at HoJo I slept on the floor on a flocked air-bed the last 2 trips to avoid the beds. That was in the 2 double config- I have no idea about any of the other rooms.
Thanks for the info. I, too, would love info on the breakfast!

KarenW2
07-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Ever since we booked our first night at CCI, it's been really hard to want to spend so much more money to stay "on-site". CCI's got great access to the parks and we enjoy the breakfast buffet, to start our mornings in the park off without running on empty stomachs. We don't spend any time in the rooms, other than for sleeping, so paying extra for on-site atmosphere for us, is a total waste of good money that can be put to use for so many other things there!

The reason we went there in the first place over other off-site places was that they have their own private shuttle to and from the park. Unfortunately, now that I have to do the parks in a wheelchair, we can't use the shuttle, since it's not accessible for me. But we stay there anyway.

We also think it's great to be able to park there for free when you stay there, since other places charge, even for self-parking.

I say try it, see what you think, then come back and tell us about it. Hope you have a great time!

Rhiannon8404
07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
We really like the Candy Cane Inn...we almost always stay there when we go to DLR. And we go every Thanks giving. We'll be there this Thanksgiving for a week.

DisneylandForever
07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I've stayed there, but not for about 2 years now. I can tell you that not only was there no musty smell, but the Candy Cane is one of the nicest non-Disney hotels in the area (again, as of '05 anyway).

ghoofie
07-17-2007, 07:21 AM
The breakfast includes cold cereal, instant oatmeal, toast (you toast your own), bagels, danish, apple juice and orange juice, coffee, bananas, apples, hot cocoa.
It's in a back room near the pool. Indoor seating is limited, but there are tables outdoors around the pool. People also bring trays from their room and bring food back to the room. It's from around 7-9. Usually if you are there early, you can sit either in or outdoors.

As for the deluxe room and 5 people, they give you a roll away, me thinks.

The Cane has it's own private shuttle, no extra stops.Even though its a 250 yard walk to the park, the shuttle is nice when you're tired at the end of the day. And it runs every 1/2 hour.

For us, the beds are always very comfy.
Ooooh...I'm gettin' excited, we'll be there in 3 more weeks !! Woopeeee !!!

ghoofie
07-17-2007, 07:24 AM
The reason we went there in the first place over other off-site places was that they have their own private shuttle to and from the park. Unfortunately, now that I have to do the parks in a wheelchair, we can't use the shuttle, since it's not accessible for me. But we stay there anyway.

I wonder if they would be able to accomodate you with one of their smaller vans. I don't work there, (though I have employee clothing from there, hee hee), but they are always very helpful. You might ask ahead, if you haven't already. Call and ask for Jeff.

tigga please
07-17-2007, 08:52 AM

truth.

if im not staying at a friends place, i make sure to book at the CCI. ive stayed in just about every hotel in the main gate area, except HoJo's. i also have horrific allergies, but have never suffered by the hands of CCI or a musty smell. i also have degenerative disk disease, and a bulged disk in my L5 S1 and havent slept in a more comfortable bed than at CCI.

i should be getting paid for this LOL

bloodnswash
07-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Yes, I know the smell you are talking about. I am sensitive to anything and everything. Knock on wood, I haven't had any problems while staying at the CCI. We have stayed here many many many times.

I do believe you have to pay extra for the roll away bed...even in the deluxe room. At least you did back in August 2005.

The breakfast is decent enough. They could use to keep the milk a little colder, though, imo. :)

mommy-san
07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes, I know the smell you are talking about. I am sensitive to anything and everything. Knock on wood, I haven't had any problems while staying at the CCI. We have stayed here many many many times.

I do believe you have to pay extra for the roll away bed...even in the deluxe room. At least you did back in August 2005.

The breakfast is decent enough. They could use to keep the milk a little colder, though, imo. :)

we aren't actually going to have 5 in the room, we just want the '40 extra square feet and joining rooms ' because we are travelling with the inlaws and this is the only room which have shared doors. And we will still take the blow up mattress in case the kids fight and can't sleep together or if I find the beds not comfy.

ghoofie
07-18-2007, 07:29 AM
we aren't actually going to have 5 in the room, we just want the '40 extra square feet and joining rooms ' because we are travelling with the inlaws and this is the only room which have shared doors. And we will still take the blow up mattress in case the kids fight and can't sleep together or if I find the beds not comfy.

I believe they don't guarantee the adjoining rooms, but I'd say that if you requested them, you'll most likely get them.

mommy-san
07-18-2007, 09:01 AM
We have made the request- and since we are going end of January and arriving on a Sunday the reservations guy said that all worked in our favor for the adjoining rooms.
As for the breakfasst...
Do they mind if you grab extra fruit etc. for later? Do they have take-away cups for the coffee? I can't pack my tassimo coffee machine, so I NEED my 2 cups of coffee!
In case of emergency (caffeine related or otherwise) there is a 7-11 right next door right? And quiznos I've heard. Anything else?

timb77
07-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Does any one know if there are microwaves/fridge in the regular rooms at the CCI?

ghoofie
07-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Does any one know if there are microwaves/fridge in the regular rooms at the CCI?

Regular rooms have a fridge, no micro.

ghoofie
07-18-2007, 12:59 PM
We have made the request- and since we are going end of January and arriving on a Sunday the reservations guy said that all worked in our favor for the adjoining rooms.
As for the breakfasst...
Do they mind if you grab extra fruit etc. for later? Do they have take-away cups for the coffee? I can't pack my tassimo coffee machine, so I NEED my 2 cups of coffee!
In case of emergency (caffeine related or otherwise) there is a 7-11 right next door right? And quiznos I've heard. Anything else?

They don't intend for you to take extra fruit, etc. But if you walk away with fruit, etc. on a tray, they don't know if you are taking it to someone in the room. For example, typically, my wife and I are up and at bkfst while my daughter is still getting ready. We usually bring her some fruit and coffee when we go backto the room. It should be fine. As for coffee, they have a big coffee maker indoors and coffee thermos by the pool, with paper cups, so it's no problem. We usually have 2-3 cups each morning.

There is a mini-mart right next door, and a 7-11 next door to that. Across the street I remember a subway, might be quiznos now, don't know. IHOP is on corner of Katella and Harbor, just across the street. A MacD is also across the street on Harbor, walking towards Disneyland. Candy Cane also has a small gift shop, with toiletries and snacks.

timb77
07-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks ghoofie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb77 View Post
Regular rooms have a fridge, no micro.

Malcon10t
07-18-2007, 02:46 PM
There is a mini-mart right next door, and a 7-11 next door to that. Across the street I remember a subway, might be quiznos now, don't know. IHOP is on corner of Katella and Harbor, just across the street. A MacD is also across the street on Harbor, walking towards Disneyland. Candy Cane also has a small gift shop, with toiletries and snacks.Isn't the IHOP at the crosswalk, closer to Harbor and Disney Way? (Between Disneyway and Manchester?) From the Candy Cane, you would walk to Disneyland, then cross at the crosswalk, and continue north to McDs (there isn't one between and Candy Cane and Disneyland.) Near the Candy Cane, there is a Subway across Harbor from CCI, and there is a Quizno's at the Desert Palm (around teh corner on Katella) and one at the Carousel Inn across from Disneyland.

ghoofie
07-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Isn't the IHOP at the crosswalk, closer to Harbor and Disney Way? (Between Disneyway and Manchester?) From the Candy Cane, you would walk to Disneyland, then cross at the crosswalk, and continue north to McDs (there isn't one between and Candy Cane and Disneyland.) Near the Candy Cane, there is a Subway across Harbor from CCI, and there is a Quizno's at the Desert Palm (around teh corner on Katella) and one at the Carousel Inn across from Disneyland.

The IHOP either moved or there are two of them. There is one at the corner
of Katella and Harbor.

mommy-san
07-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Seems to me We ate at one of them, so I think there ARE two. But don't place money on that- once I can see Disneyland I notice little else in the area!