PDA

View Full Version : Terrorist threat on the 4th??

jrsharp21
06-29-2002, 06:45 PM
I know one CM said there has been suspicious middle eastern men in the park lately. Is there any truth to this. Can any other CM's comment on this? Also what is everyones opinion on going to the park on the 4th?

DisneylandBoy
06-29-2002, 08:42 PM
I have heard of so many terrorist threats lately. Our government is working very hard if they get a threat, and I have confidence in them (I have confidence in springtime! I have confidence in rain! Sorry, I'm doing that show right now so I have the songs on the brain. :D ) Anways, I also think that some people still see any middle eastern people as threats these days, which is really sad. So, I am not worried about anything happening on the 4th.

cstephens
06-29-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by jrsharp21
I know one CM said there has been suspicious middle eastern men in the park lately. Is there any truth to this. Can any other CM's comment on this? Also what is everyones opinion on going to the park on the 4th?

Even if the "suspicious middle eastern men" thing were true, CMs shouldn't be going around announcing that sort of thing, and the CM may just be tagging any middle eastern looking men as suspicious.

We'll be at the resort on the fourth. If you were going to go, go. Don't let someone else's threats ruin your lives.

justagrrl
06-30-2002, 06:36 AM
Wasn't it in WWII that they locked up Japanese American's? American citizens that had not been proven guilty of any crime...yet due to "our" paranoia, their freedom was taken from them.

"In February 1942, Lt. Gen. John DeWitt, the commanding general of the Western Defense Command, which
included California, Oregon and Washington, urged the evacuation of all Japanese American citizens from
the West Coast. He argued that "[t]he Japanese race is an enemy race and while many second and third
generation Japanese born on United States soil, possessed of United States citizenship, have become
'Americanized,' the racial strains are undiluted. . .The very fact that no sabotage has taken place to date is a
disturbing and confirming indication that such action will be taken." Final Recommendation of the
Commanding General, Western Defense Command and Fourth Army, to the Secretary of War (Feb. 14,
1942), quoted in, Hohri v. United States, 782 F.2d 227, 231 (D.C. Cir. 1986), vacated, 482 U.S. 64
(1987)(emphasis provided). "

(The very fact that they hadn't done something YET, was proof enough that something must be coming for sure!)

================================================== =======
"In Germany, they first came for the communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Catholic. Then they came for me -- and by that time there was nobody left to speak up."
-Martin Niemöller
================================================== ========

We have neighbors next door who are from Pakistan. They are some of the nicest people you'd ever want to know. We have other neighbors who are caucasion (sp?) and are some of the biggest jerks around.

Judging people based on race and appearance is the wrong way to go about this...whether that's a CM or Disney Mgmt explaining it to them.

Gracy_hm
06-30-2002, 06:44 AM
Yes, it was the only time I know of that the United States had concentration camps. The modern U.S gov. is making sure that NEVER happens againg.

justagrrl
06-30-2002, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Gracy_hm
Yes, it was the only time I know of that the United States had concentration camps. The modern U.S gov. is making sure that NEVER happens againg.

er....and how is that?

Gracy_hm
06-30-2002, 09:25 AM
By making public statements that we are not targeting middle easern people but terrorists. I have to say I am very pleased with the government in this sense.

Lani
06-30-2002, 10:34 AM
I am a Japanese-American. I believe there is a big difference between what the government is doing now, and what it did in WWII.

The U.S. is profiling terrorists, not summarily rounding up everyone who fits a particular ethnic group -- including naturalized citizens and legal immigrants -- as it did in the '40s.

In fact, I believe Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta has been outspoken about not targeting Middle-Easterners because of his family's experience with Japanese internment camps in WWII. My personal opinion is that Mr. Mineta is tackling this in the wrong direction, because his edict has led to "random" security searches at airports which I do not believe are particularly effective and a serious waste of time (Al Gore, and a Congressional Medal of Honor receipient are two examples of people who were grilled in searches).

disguy
06-30-2002, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about the fourth of July I belive SOMETHING will happen I don't know what. Even so Disneyland should really install metal detactors it really bothers me that they have not done that yet.

mousey_girl
06-30-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by lani
I am a Japanese-American. I believe there is a big difference between what the government is doing now, and what it did in WWII.

The U.S. is profiling terrorists, not summarily rounding up everyone who fits a particular ethnic group -- including naturalized citizens and legal immigrants -- as it did in the '40s.

In fact, I believe Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta has been outspoken about not targeting Middle-Easterners because of his family's experience with Japanese internment camps in WWII. My personal opinion is that Mr. Mineta is tackling this in the wrong direction, because his edict has led to "random" security searches at airports which I do not believe are particularly effective and a serious waste of time (Al Gore, and a Congressional Medal of Honor receipient are two examples of people who were grilled in searches).

I completly agree with you. My parents went to Hawaii for the 60th of Pearl Harobr (my paternal grandfather is entombed on the AZ). My dad was let through without a 2nd look and my mother was searched and patted down. The way they are going about some of the searches needs to be re-checked.

As for terrorist threats against the Happiest Place on Earth, that has been going on for years (in some cases more than a threat).

Gracy_hm
06-30-2002, 12:14 PM
lani,
Exactly what I am trying to say.

gn2dlnd
06-30-2002, 01:04 PM
What were these middle eastern men suspicious of? That $45.00 a head plus $8.00 parking is an awful lot for the average family of four to cough up? That Disney is trying to pass DCA off as a quality theme park that everyone would enjoy if they'd just give it a chance? That Mickey and Minnie are probably just actors in costumes? That Walt's head isn't really frozen? That their refillable mug is only refillable for the length of their stay in the hotel? Give me a (would really like to use an expletive here) break! Do you honestly think that suspicious looking people of any sort are getting through the main gate? The problem with identifying the 9/11 hijackers before the fact is obvious to anyone that has seen the security camera videos of these guys, they didn't look "suspicious!" Live your life paranoid. Go around thinking that anyone that looks like anyone who ever hurt you is also going to hurt you. In fact, just stay home with your shades drawn, only answer the door for the pizza guy (hope he's not Persian,) and listen to a lot of AM talk radio. There'll be one less fool in my way on the road or in the grocery store line in front of me. If you're CM friend joins you, that'll make two.

funnygarcia
06-30-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by mousey_girl

I completly agree with you. My parents went to Hawaii for the 60th of Pearl Harobr (my paternal grandfather is entombed on the AZ). My dad was let through without a 2nd look and my mother was searched and patted down. The way they are going about some of the searches needs to be re-checked.

As for terrorist threats against the Happiest Place on Earth, that has been going on for years (in some cases more than a threat).

Depends on which airport you go to.. I had a gut feeling that every person of color was stopped at MSP (Minneapolis) airport on our last trip..... including my Hispanic husband...... I waited for several minutes for them to complete the search ,in that time every person of color was stopped- not a single caucasian.... Though i feel it is necessary to have increased security at airports --- I do feel it is discrimination to do racial profiling. We had no problems at other airports (LAX was actually the easiest airport - I did not see security stop anyone there..)

I have heard reports of elderly women, children, person w disability being stopped. One of my friends knows someone w artificial leg- she purposely wore a skirt to make it easier to take off her leg for security to examine - they stop her every time....

Hades
06-30-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by funnygarcia

Depends on which airport you go to.. I had a gut feeling that every person of color was stopped at MSP (Minneapolis) airport on our last trip..... including my Hispanic husband...... I waited for several minutes for them to complete the search ,in that time every person of color was stopped- not a single caucasian.... Though i feel it is necessary to have increased security at airports --- I do feel it is discrimination to do racial profiling. We had no problems at other airports (LAX was actually the easiest airport - I did not see security stop anyone there..)

I have heard reports of elderly women, children, person w disability being stopped. One of my friends knows someone w artificial leg- she purposely wore a skirt to make it easier to take off her leg for security to examine - they stop her every time....

During the days after the shoe bomb incident, my mother was traveling in Hawaii. She was stopped on more than one occasion at security check points in both Honolulu Int. and at Lihue airports. She was even asked to remove her shoes in Honolulu Int. Airport. Whether or not it was profiling (racial or otherwise) is hardly the issue. The bottom line is that EVERYONE is being inconveinenced for a little security. Unfortunately, there is no way to be totally secure.

If you cherish freedom, remember that it comes with both responsability and risk. We are all responsable for the security of ourselves and those around us through our actions. To do nothing, or to allow terror to dictate our lives, is to risk our freedom.

Use your freedom to enjoy the 4th of July as Americans. Be proud and unaffraid!

Grandbreaker
06-30-2002, 08:14 PM
GO AND HAVE FUN HERE AT DISNEYLAND AND EAT AT ONE OF THE MANY PLACES OH HAVE A DISNEY DAY

cstephens
06-30-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by disguy
I'm not sure how I feel about the fourth of July I belive SOMETHING will happen I don't know what. Even so Disneyland should really install metal detactors it really bothers me that they have not done that yet.

I hope DL never installs metal detectors. Bag checks are a good idea, though on some days, I think they should be more thorough as I peridiocally get only a cursory check. Metal detectors aren't going to help in the case of any serious threat.

MammaSilva
06-30-2002, 09:55 PM
metal detectors at Disneyland? what earthly purpose would they serve? If someone is intent on causing harm at Disneyland don't you think they have already done major research? Much like was done for the attack on 9/11? Metal detectors wouldn't stop or even slow down someone who is determined to cause damage/injuries, didn't every single one of those men on 9/11 go thru at least one metal detector to get on those planes? In truth I think the bag checks are a joke, I realize that Disney felt the need to do "something" to make the public feel better, but how many people who post here have really really had their bags/fannypacks or backpacks searched to a degree that once the last zipper was closed the CM that did the search could tell you what color your wallet was or what type of camera you are carrying? We were there for four days, each and everyday I had a small cooler in the basket of my EVC ..it had snacks in it for our hypoglacemic kids, my friend had a backpack with dry snacks loaded in it, in all those times in and out of the park only once was I even asked to open the cooler, it sat under my tote bag and I wasn't attempting to conceal it, they simply didn't ask, they would take a quick glance into the tote, smile and tell us to have a wonderful day....granted a group of 11 people dressed alike, several of them obviously special needs wouldn't send up a red flag for terror but at the same time "if" someone was intent on terror wouldn't they attempt to blend in the crowd? Ok I'm getting off the soap box, just the 'thought' of metal detectors at Disneyland sends me into a tizzy!

honeymom
07-01-2002, 02:44 AM
Suspicious because they are middle eastern or suspicious because they are doing suspicious activity? If they are taking pics of security, etc. engaged in suspicious activity - report it to the police. If they are just there having fun with their families, you are prejudice and stop worrying about it.