PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn Refurb

barely
07-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know if/when the Matterhorn will be down for refurbishment? We missed riding it last September and hope to ride this September.:p

barely
07-12-2007, 08:06 PM
O0ps! Forgot to mention, I checked Riderefurbs.com regarding this but there was nothing posted.

barely
07-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Anybody know? Darkbeer?:confused:

olegc
07-13-2007, 02:46 PM
well, not having access to a real current chart but looking at past postings - it seems EVERY September is refurb month for Matterhorn. So you'll have to either change your month of travel or live without seeing Harold in his home.

barely
07-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks! Harold??! :confused:

olegc
07-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Harold is the "pet" name given by Disney insiders (i forget if it was imagineering or cast members) to the Abominable Snowman inside the Matterhorn.

PanFan
07-13-2007, 09:44 PM
I just had my first Matterhorn shift today! Got signed off last night :) I've been hearing for a while that it will be getting individual lap bars (rather than the two seat belts) and was told that it will likely be after this fall's refurbishment. So get those rides with your significant others in soon!

Niwel
07-14-2007, 07:13 AM
So get those rides with your significant others in soon!

Oh I wish we could have reached that stage. ;) (Sharing a car with someone 5'10 means my knees reach under my chin.) Lap bars sound interesting (although the please remain seated spiel won't be needed anymore) :(

Mr.Abominable
07-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Oh I wish we could have reached that stage. ;) (Sharing a car with someone 5'10 means my knees reach under my chin.) Lap bars sound interesting (although the please remain seated spiel won't be needed anymore) :(

If they took away the "Remain Seated Please" spiel, it would be a bigger tragedy than the Gallery closing! BTW, Harold Jr. lives with me, his picture is in my avatar! ;)

Pedema se sentados, por favor!!!!! (note: spanish words may be spelled wrong!)

Disney Vault
07-14-2007, 11:58 AM
If they took away the "Remain Seated Please" spiel, it would be a bigger tragedy than the Gallery closing!

Hasn't that line already been edited anyway? I think they added with your seatbelts securely fastened and might have changed some other wording. Or maybe I am just losing my mind:confused:

PanFan
07-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Hasn't that line already been edited anyway? I think they added with your seatbelts securely fastened and might have changed some other wording. Or maybe I am just losing my mind

Yeah, it used to say "Remain seated please. Permanencer sentados por favor." Now it says "Please remain seated with your seatbelt fastened. Permanencer sentados por favor."

As sad as I'll be to see the current seating arrangement go, lap bars will ultimately be a good thing. It will definitely make the dispatch process go quicker (it can be kind of tricky checking all of those belts sometimes, especially when people don't know how to do it with one around each rider). And it will be safer. They will hold people in better and will also prevent anyone from getting out of the vehicle either while it's moving or when it's stopped for a down time. I think I read on another thread about someone's brother who freaked out during a down time and took off his seatbelt and went running down the track (and quickly came back, but still absolutely not a safe situation). So yeah, it will be a bittersweet transition.

cillydznygirl
07-15-2007, 12:10 PM
How long does the refurb usually take?

HobbitFeet
07-15-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm no expert, and this system of mine might be flawed...but I read the refurb area of the DLR update on mouseplanet itself... :)

Also I was there last year in early October, and last year it had a big refurbishment, that, according to memory and looking at the old updates mentioned above, lasted months.

I thought I remembered that it was closed for a usual "spiffing up" the year before in September, but I'm not finding notice of that. Also, it was open for our day-trip in Sept '05, around the 22nd... But I'm not finding that it was, actually, closed in the fall of '05.

Starting with the Sept 13, 2004 update (I checked through October), they each said that Matterhorn would closed until Nov 23 (another long one!).

For some reason I'm not seeing a closure in the fall for '03...

Going solely by my skimming of some of those specific updates, it almost makes me wonder if it goes down every OTHER Fall?

I'm probably missing things, and of course it's only buoyed by by VERY limited experience so far...but I sure HOPE it's not going to be down this year in September, b/c with the "go go coaster" down, it's DS's only chance to ride a coaster on this trip. :)

Suzie Minnie
07-21-2007, 10:07 PM
When will they do a complete referb of the ride? You know what I am talking about? So it won't be so bumpy and "old" feeling. A smooth ride would be much better.

Petersgj
07-22-2007, 09:05 AM
When will they do a complete referb of the ride? You know what I am talking about? So it won't be so bumpy and "old" feeling. A smooth ride would be much better.

Personally, I like the bumpiness. It makes it feel more like a real bobsled instead of a roller coaster.

The Real Cinderella
07-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Personally, I like the bumpiness. It makes it feel more like a real bobsled instead of a roller coaster.

Yep, it's that vintage feel. If they change that, the ride will loose it's appeal.