PDA

View Full Version : AP renewal time

SoCalSnowWhite
06-28-2002, 09:11 PM
Our AP's are expiring in August and we just got our renewal form in the mail. My husband and I already decided we're going to upgrade to premium. I was wondering if there are any benefits in renewing rather than just waiting til the passes expire and paying full price and getting $45 off instead of just the $20? in our letter, it said we would get a 20% off voucher (1x) but that was it. I think it would be a better deal not to renew.....what do you say?

disguy
06-28-2002, 09:54 PM
maybe but, you never know now that Disney has there "confidence" back they may up the price for the premium. If you have a "Disney Club" card you get an extra $10 off no matter how much you pay.

Darkbeer
06-28-2002, 11:29 PM
First off, Disney Club discounts are $20 off a NEW Premium AP, you get NOTHING for a renewal...

If you are not planning to visit the DLR anytime in the near future after the pass expires, it is better to wait and buy a new pass, with a NEW experation date that matches the new purchase date.... (You can bring your Parking ticket for a rebate!)..

If you have a Disney Club card, it is almost always better to let the old pass expire....if not, a month is a good basic guide, if you plan to take at least a month off between passes, then WAIT! and buy a new AP when you want to attend the park!

danyoung
06-29-2002, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by SoCalSnowWhite
Our AP's are expiring in August and we just got our renewal form in the mail. My husband and I already decided we're going to upgrade to premium. I was wondering if there are any benefits in renewing rather than just waiting til the passes expire and paying full price and getting $45 off instead of just the $20? in our letter, it said we would get a 20% off voucher (1x) but that was it. I think it would be a better deal not to renew.....what do you say?

What a coincidence that you should ask that question. I just went through renewal, and got hosed. Fortunately Disney is making the matter right. My current premium AP expired on June 11th, so I called a couple weeks ago to renew. I was told that I could either get the $20 off as a renewal or get the discount with my Disney Club card. I foolishly chose the renewal, expecting to get a voucher that I would trade in for my new AP on my next visit (now exactly 7 days away - YIPPEEEEE!!!). Well, I got my new AP in the mail this week - with the expiration date of June 11th, 2003 on it. By my reckoning, that's gypping me out of a month's worth of use! I called the Disneyland AP renewal line, and they made the change for me. Now, when I show up next week, I need to go to Guest Services, where they'll reprint my card. So it all ended well, but my obvious advice is - DON'T RENEW unless you go every week or so. Use the Disney Club discount (you are a member, aren't you?) and start your year on your next visit.

SoCalSnowWhite
06-29-2002, 07:12 PM
Ok, I'm not a member of the Disney club. But, if I was, is the $ 20 off in addition to the $45 general admission that goes toward the price of a new AP?

Darkbeer
06-29-2002, 07:20 PM
Yes, with a Disney Club card, a NEW Premium (other AP's are not discounted) would be $199, and you could use your addmission ticket as a credit (so if you bought a $45 one-day, you would be charges an additional $154), Now, before you go out and get a Disney Club, most of the same discounts you receive with the Disney Club card, you get with the DLR Premium AP, so unless you were planning a trip to the WDW resort, I wouldn't bother...

SoCalSnowWhite
06-29-2002, 09:31 PM
That's what i thought. I think I'll probably just wait and not renew. Thanks!!

Disney Nick
06-29-2002, 10:20 PM
This is how it breaks down. If you are going to go to Disneyland within 1 month of your AP expiring, then renew. You will receive a one-time 20% merchandise discount if you do it by mail. You will keep the same expiration date, except one year later.

If you are NOT going to go to Disneyland within one month of your AP expiration date, it is just better to wait and get a new AP. However you will not receive the 20% merch. discount, but unless you plan on a really big merchandise purchase soon, it's not worth it.

The easiest way to figure it out is the one month rule. Are you going to go to Disneyland in the month after your AP would expire? If yes, then renew. If not, then wait until your next visit and get a new AP.

SteveCJB2001
06-30-2002, 10:55 AM
Ok here is my question. My pass expired June 25th but being the broke college student that I am, I dont get paid again until July 14th so I can't get a new AP til then. So the way that I understood the renewal letter was that if I did not renew by mail by my expiration date, I cant take advantage of the $20 discount. So which one is it, Do I pay $199 or do I pay $219. I need to know cause that will determine if I will eat this week or not (well not really) but ya $20 isn't that much of a difference but ya ok I'll shut up now.

SoCalSnowWhite
06-30-2002, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure if everyone is understanding me. It's all about saving money to me. Even if I do go the month after my pass expires, I'd still pay $ 25 more by renewing than paying full price the day I go and saving $45. Sorry if my wording is confusing, but i'm not sure how else to explain it.

MickeyD
06-30-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by SoCalSnowWhite
I'm not sure if everyone is understanding me. It's all about saving money to me. Even if I do go the month after my pass expires, I'd still pay $ 25 more by renewing than paying full price the day I go and saving $45. Sorry if my wording is confusing, but i'm not sure how else to explain it.

Wait, I'm confused. How will you save the $45?

disguy
06-30-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
Yes, with a Disney Club card, a NEW Premium (other AP's are not discounted) would be $199, and you could use your addmission ticket as a credit (so if you bought a $45 one-day, you would be charges an additional $154), Now, before you go out and get a Disney Club, most of the same discounts you receive with the Disney Club card, you get with the DLR Premium AP, so unless you were planning a trip to the WDW resort, I wouldn't bother...

That's not exactly correct I have both and save money at the Disney store as well as the online store. I think it's a better savings to have both. Now that it's so cheap. I got my club card for 69.99 when it was still a "gold card"

Disney Nick
06-30-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD

Wait, I'm confused. How will you save the $45?

Count me in on that... How are you going to save $45 by BUYING a one-day ticket and then upgrading... Here's my advice.. just renew the AP and stop giving me a headache ;)

danyoung
07-01-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by SteveCJB2001
Ok here is my question. My pass expired June 25th but being the broke college student that I am, I dont get paid again until July 14th so I can't get a new AP til then. So the way that I understood the renewal letter was that if I did not renew by mail by my expiration date, I cant take advantage of the $20 discount. So which one is it, Do I pay $199 or do I pay $219. I need to know cause that will determine if I will eat this week or not (well not really) but ya $20 isn't that much of a difference but ya ok I'll shut up now.

I don't see a question here, other than one directed at you. If you can't afford it till July 14th, then I guess you have to pay the extra $20. You might call the renewal line and see if you can squeeze in just over the wire on your renewal. I've had them do that for me before. Good luck!

SoCalSnowWhite
07-01-2002, 09:18 AM
I'm confusing myself:rolleyes: . Thta's it, i'm just gonna get it, somehow....

SteveCJB2001
07-01-2002, 06:32 PM
I just was on the phone with the automated machine thing and they said that the $20 discount is only valid til the expiration date. So oh well $20 isn't to bad.

HBTiggerFan
07-01-2002, 06:44 PM
If you pay $45 for a 1-day pass then upgrade you will not be saving any money. That $45 will be credited towards your AP, so it may seem like your paying $45 less but you actually are paying the full price. $45 was just paid at the main gate or whereever you got your ticket.

Darkbeer
07-01-2002, 07:06 PM
The ONLY benefit to buying the one-day ticket is the fact that you buy it on a blackout day, this allows you to enter the park (for example, you want a SoCal AP ($99), but the next valid date isn't until the end of August, by getting the ticket, you are getting the enterance on the blackout date, plus you can take the full amount against the purchase of the AP...

Best play is either the 2-day SoCal, or the 3-day discounted ParkHoppers and convert them to SoCal AP's on the last day of the hopper! That way, you can spend a few days in the summer, and most of the off-season too ;)

pikachan
07-03-2002, 10:36 AM
HI! I see you have some confusion over the passport renewal and the 20% discount card. If you renew your passport 30 day prior to your expiration, you can get $20 off the premimum and deluxe passport. Once your pass expires, you have to pay the regular box office price.
The 20% discount card doesn't apply to Annual Passes, only for discounts at selected stores located on theback of the card. Sorry! I know they look misleading but it doesn't mention discounts for APs. But hey it is better to get some sort of a discount than none.