PDA

View Full Version : February

Jim Dear and Darling
07-11-2007, 03:00 PM
We are planning to go to DL in February, but I have never been at this time. I am curious if anyone knows what will be up and running? Fantasmic, Fireworks, Attractions? Also, any general weather info would be appreciated too! Thank you!!!!!

BraMax
07-11-2007, 08:11 PM
We went this past Feb and the weather started out great then cooled off a little bit and of course you need a sweater or jacket for nighttime. There were fireworks and Fantasmic on the weekend only so make sure you have at least a Friday night in there. But the crowds were light. Just make sure you miss Presidents week ;)

oregontraveler
07-12-2007, 06:40 AM
We went this past Feb and the weather started out great then cooled off a little bit and of course you need a sweater or jacket for nighttime. There were fireworks and Fantasmic on the weekend only so make sure you have at least a Friday night in there. But the crowds were light. Just make sure you miss Presidents week ;)

I'm planning a birthday trip that week, avoiding the Monday holiday.
Why is the rest of week bad ?

bloodnswash
07-12-2007, 08:29 AM
We spent 5 days at DL in February 2005; trip started February 15. We had a variety of weather; sun, mild temps, cold, clouds, rain. There was one day we got dumped on. :) Careful on Thunder when it's doing a decent rain.....OUCH! ;)

Jim Dear and Darling
07-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. So as a general rule, Fantasmic and Fireworks will still go on on the weekends?

Darkbeer
07-12-2007, 08:56 AM
A couple of days to worry about in Febraury.

While not a Federal holiday, Lincoln's Birthday (celebrated on Monday, February 12th in 2008) is a holiday for many schools and state/local employees. This creats a busy 3 day weekend.

Wednesday the 14th is Valentine's Day, and does add a little to crowd size, but the major issue is eating. Almost every DtD and Hotel restaurants has a long wait, and many sit down restaurants in the parks also have much longer lines than normal.

Of course, President's Day is Monday the 18th in 2008, and that is a Federal holiday.

And then one more issue, more and more schools have the entire week off (16th thru the 24th). (It has many names, Mid Winter Break, Ski Week, Rodeo Days.)

Here is a thread from earlier this year, with a selected quote to give folks a heads up...

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=66557

The week of Presidents Day is always, always, always very busy. And it seems to always, always, always catch people off guard. Somehow a lot of nice folks must think that their child is the only one west of the Rockies that was also given the entire week off of school.

Hint: If it is convenient for you with school schedules to take a trip to Disneyland, it is also going to be convenient for a hundred Million other Americans schedules to take a trip to Disneyland on the same days.

Oregon and Washington schools also get the week of Presidents Day off of school. In Portland and Seattle it's called "Ski Week", but with cheap jet flights to John Wayne, a lot of those city folks don't drive up to the mountains to go skiing, but instead catch a break from the rain and fly down to Disneyland.

This week is always very busy at Disneyland. Always.

Darkbeer
07-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. So as a general rule, Fantasmic and Fireworks will still go on on the weekends?

Last year, they had the Fireworks on weekends and Holiday Mondays, but Fantasmic! was on hiatus due to the work on Tom Sawyer Island to add Pirate's Lair.

Not sure if they will offer both, in the past they sometimes offer both, or offer one or the other during the off-season weekends.

A lot of things affect the decisions, including the budget, which hasn't been approved yet (it usually gets approved in September). So plan for one or the other, and count yourself lucky if you get both.

Jim Dear and Darling
07-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the info Darkbeer.

ILoveDisneyMagic
07-12-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm planning a birthday trip that week, avoiding the Monday holiday.
Why is the rest of week bad ?

Just to add to what's already been said, yes, that week is pretty bad. Silly me, I took my kids out of school that week this year. I knew the three-day weekend would be busy, but once Wednesday hit and it was STILL BUSY, I couldn't figure out why:confused:. I'd never heard of "ski week." Anyway, the worst part of it is they didn't have any increased entertainment schedule. Fantasmic was down, yet they didn't have the Electrical Parade. If I'm going to go during a busy time, I'd at least like to have the full entertainment schedule available. Oh, and there could very well be a major ride closed for refurb. This year it was Splash.

So if that's the only time you can go, then you'll know this ahead of time, so you'll be fine! After all, it's still DL. But if you can choose another week, you may want to look into that.

oregontraveler
07-13-2007, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the info. While it would be nice to actually celebrate the big day
at the parks. I just might push it back a week to avoid the crowds.
BTW: How do these crowds compare to other busy periods.