PDA

View Full Version : Is AAA worth it?

Pages : [1] 2

hybrid-god
07-10-2007, 08:08 AM
:confused:
Is it worth getting a AAA membership? Any discounts in Disneyland with a membership? Just wanting to know peoples thoughts about this! Any help would be appreciated!

bloodnswash
07-10-2007, 08:13 AM
I have a AAA membership. Is it worth it? Depends on what you are looking for. :) There are no discounts in the park(s) that I am aware of.

kranders
07-10-2007, 08:14 AM
In my opinion getting an AAA membership is worth it just for the roadside assistance, maps, DMV services, travel agency, etc without even concidering the discounts.
So..YES. :)

barely
07-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Definitely worth it! I locked my keys in my vehicle a week and a half ago, and AAA had them in my hand in about 45 minutes. Then, this past Saturday, my fuel pump went out and AAA towed my vehicle to a nearby shop. Has more than paid for itself already, not to mention the peace of mind! I say go for it!

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
07-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Many hotels offer AAA rates, and the Disneyland tours I've taken also had a discounted AAA rate. Our membership pays for itself with the roadside service calls, and my daughters love going online and ordering maps for free (even free shipping) whenever they're learning about a new part of the state or country.

Malcon10t
07-10-2007, 09:10 AM
We are AAA Plus members. AAA gets 10% off at teh DLR hotels, and 10% off meals at various DLR restaurants (Ariels, Goofy's are 2 I know of.) You also get 10% off of some tours.

Andrew
07-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Is AAA worth it for Disney trips? I haven't used the discounts, because they are matched or beaten by AP discounts, but the travel agency services are invaluable and there's usually some kind of bonus when you book a package through them.

Is AAA worth it outside of Disney trips, just in general? Absolutely! I wouldn't dream of driving without AAA.

Disclaimer: My lovely wife is a AAA travel agent, but we were both members before she started working there.

Malcon10t
07-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Is AAA worth it for Disney trips? I haven't used the discounts, because they are matched or beaten by AP discounts, but the travel agency services are invaluable and there's usually some kind of bonus when you book a package through them.

Is AAA worth it outside of Disney trips, just in general? Absolutely! I wouldn't dream of driving without AAA.I have to agree. The service is great, and in my area quick. I can't imagine not having it. I like the Plus package as instead of the 5 mile tow, you get 100 miles. And if something happens more than 100 miles away, they will pay for expenses to get someone to you or get you home. AND, if you have an accident and get life flighted, they will pay for it. (That alone can cost you $30,000. BTDT.)

mkraemer
07-10-2007, 09:59 AM
We have had AAA for years, and have (unfortunately) made use of the towing service at times. I am glad to have that convenience and peace of mind, especially when my son was a new driver. We have AAA Plus membership, so we can have the car towed to the shop of our choice, not just 'someplace' close.

I love getting the tourbooks and maps from them.

We use the AAA discount when booking hotel rooms when we travel; that's a nice feature.

disneyshoes
07-10-2007, 10:14 AM
We used our AAA discount at Goofy's Kitchen and Ariels Grotto over the 4th. It turned out to be a big savings for a party of 6 :)

hybrid-god
07-10-2007, 10:14 AM
All sounds good! Guess I'll have to go for it since most of you have posted very insightful info on AAA! Thanks to all of you!! :p

Another thing I wanted to ask was, can you get Disneyland tickets thru AAA?

Malcon10t
07-10-2007, 10:19 AM
All sounds good! Guess I'll have to go for it since most of you have posted very insightful info on AAA! Thanks to all of you!! :p

Another thing I wanted to ask was, can you get Disneyland tickets thru AAA?Yes, they are the same price as buying online. The advantage is you get free parking.

shna
07-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I love AAA -- wouldn't drive without it. Being able to get maps, brochures, and the like for free is lovely, as is being able to renew my DMV registration at the AAA office. No need to mail it in and wait, or to stand in line at DMV. I go, pay, and have my registration sticker in my hand immediately. :)

I've gotten AAA discounts at a number of places. It's always worth it to check.

Mr.Bear
07-10-2007, 10:58 AM
I got 30% off on my prescription and eyeglasses from a big name eye glass store. Many times you have to ask if they give AAA discounts.

adriennek
07-10-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm sitting in a motel room as I type (although not in Anaheim, but it's a hotel room.) I booked it via my wonderful AAA travel agent. When I read the AAA book, the rates in the book, the discount rates - I should be paying $350 to $400 for this room for my entire stay.

I'm paying $200.

Now. If I didn't have AAA I wouldn't be paying $350-$400 - I'd be at the Best Western down the street. Instead I'm in a "nicer" hotel with room service and complimentary breakfast and free wireless interent. So I guess I'm not spending less, but I'm having a far lovlier experience.

When I've booked with my AAA agent, I've been given generous upgrades because they know I'm going to give her a full report and she will send future business their way.

I'm also sporting a pile of maps and guidebooks that cost me nothing because I picked them up at AAA. I could've used Google Maps but this way when I'm in my car and we decide at the spur of the moment to go see something new, I don't need to find the internet to figure out where we're going.

And, like others, we've used the free towing before. Oh, it wasn't for our car, but because I had AAA and I was there, the car got towed for free.

We use USAA for our auto insurance, but this is our other 'insurance' and it's a lovely vacation planning savings plan on top of that!

Adrienne

mkraemer
07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
I love AAA -- wouldn't drive without it. Being able to get maps, brochures, and the like for free is lovely, as is being able to renew my DMV registration at the AAA office. No need to mail it in and wait, or to stand in line at DMV. I go, pay, and have my registration sticker in my hand immediately. :)

I've gotten AAA discounts at a number of places. It's always worth it to check.

I have also used the DMV registration at AAA, but it's so easy now to simply renew online and have DMV send me the sticker/registration in the mail.

However, if you have to have it in your hand right away, AAA is the way to go!

miss bianca
07-11-2007, 11:09 AM
from mousesavers.com

...(AAA) members save 10% on food and beverages (excluding tax, gratuity and alcoholic beverages) at the following locations:

Plaza Inn in Disneyland

Wine Counry Trattoria in DCA

Ariel's Grotto in DCA

PCH Grill at Paradise Pier Hotel

Goofy's Kitchen at Disneyland Hotel

PumbaaMan
07-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I received a $10 gift card when I purchased my AP earlier this year because I was a AAA member. :)

mistofviolets
07-11-2007, 02:06 PM
AAA offers free towing, and their agents are wonderful...first thing they ask is if you are in a safe place, and if there are kids...and how many are in carseats so they can send an accomodating truck your way.
They'll jump your battery for free (a limited number of times)
If necessary, in some areas they have roadside battery replacement services; I've not used that service yet.

Also, at one point dh's membership lapsed somehow or other, and he found himself in need of a tow. Called AAA and they still orchestrated the tow because he had been a member, and he was able to work something out financially since he was renewing membership. The tow would have cost as much as a years membership. They are awesome as far as customer service goes.

My parents love their insurance, too.

DianeM
07-11-2007, 07:24 PM
A few weeks ago, I flew back into Sacramento Airport after a week at a convention. I was tired, and it was hot, and my car wouldn't start. The battery. (I don't know how I burned it out - I have automatic lights!). I called AAA and 30 minutes later a man was there to give me a jumpstart. He told me that they will even come out and replace the battery, if necessary.

Discounts are nice. Free maps are handy. Having a tow truck there in 30 minutes to help me get home was worth way more than the annual fee.

:confused:
Is it worth getting a AAA membership? Any discounts in Disneyland with a membership? Just wanting to know peoples thoughts about this! Any help would be appreciated!

DianeM
07-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Did you get their spare? I don't know if they still do it, but you used to be able to get a spare plastic key made at AAA offices. Slim enough to fit into your wallet.

Definitely worth it! I locked my keys in my vehicle a week and a half ago, and AAA had them in my hand in about 45 minutes. Then, this past Saturday, my fuel pump went out and AAA towed my vehicle to a nearby shop. Has more than paid for itself already, not to mention the peace of mind! I say go for it!

The Blue Parrot
07-11-2007, 10:39 PM
In 2005, I retired after 26 years working for the Northern California (Nevada and Utah) AAA affliliate in the Emergency Road Service department.

So, hearing everyone say how much they have appreciated their AAA memberships just reminds me how glad I was to be able to be there to help at all hours of the day and night over those 26 years.

But, I have to relate a classic story from those years. Working early one morning (in a road service office all by myself), I answered an incoming phone call from a woman who was using her cell phone (a relatively new thing at that time) to call for assistance. Seems that she was travelling down Highway 101 on a trip from the San Francisco Bay Area to where else? Disneyland! And not being familar with the Los Angeles freeways, she had made a wrong turn and was lost.

Having been through the same exact highway interchange where she got lost on many trips of my own to Anaheim, I knew right where she was and had her turned around and on her way headed for the Five to the Parking Lot in less than ten minutes.

Now that was Five Diamond service!

hybrid-god
07-12-2007, 06:42 AM
All this feedback was a good read! Thanks to all I am now a AAA member! Lets just hope I "don't" have to use the service! :p

mkraemer
07-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Did you get their spare? I don't know if they still do it, but you used to be able to get a spare plastic key made at AAA offices. Slim enough to fit into your wallet.

Oh *yeah*! I remember those!! I used to have some of those, years ago, and they were handy. :) I should get one made for the DS' (old and boring--to him--but incredibly safe--and I love it) Volvo.

Now, though, I don't think they can make the spare for my Odyssey because of the multi-level design of the key.

Thanks for that reminder!

Jim Dear and Darling
07-12-2007, 10:11 AM

AAA doesn't do that anymore in Washington State. :(