PDA

View Full Version : Rapids ride...is it worth it?

disguy
06-28-2002, 10:30 AM
I've seen the rapids ride at DCA yet never waited in line nor got a fastpass for it...Is this ride any different then what you would see at any other themepark?

I've also wondered if you get very soaked..i've seen others who are and others who aren't any way of not getting very wet? I cant stand it when the shorts stick to the butt and the socks squish as you walk! ;)

disneyscott
06-28-2002, 10:37 AM
i love this ride....somthing has changed because in the last drop you used to spin in circles as you went down but it doesnt happen evey time ...there are two drops in the ride and the first one(much smaller) gets you wetter.....I have been soked to the bone and as dry as i started so it is no guarantee of cooling off or not...If your asking if it is worth the wate use the fastpass or the single rider line cuzz the hotter it gets longer the line it is

SoCalSnowWhite
06-28-2002, 11:03 AM
it's pretty much the same ride as at Sea World and Magic Mountain. Don't get me wrong, i love the ride!!! every time i have been on, I've gotten soaked. I mean, it was as if I'd jumped in a pool with my clothes on!!

smd4
06-28-2002, 11:14 AM
I cant stand it when the shorts stick to the butt and the socks squish as you walk!

No offense, Disguy, but that's like saying:

"I love the carousel, but I hate the fact that it goes in circles."

"I love roller coasters, except for the dips, curves and high speeds."

"I love the Haunted Mansion, except for the ghosts."

It's a WATER RIDE! The idea is to get wet!

disguy
06-28-2002, 11:35 AM
Steve: But I don't like to get wet.

MammaSilva
06-28-2002, 11:40 AM
then you have 2 options, one is skip the ride, the other is to buy a pancho......

cstephens
06-28-2002, 01:15 PM
I went on this ride for the first time about a month ago and the second time about two weeks ago and had a great time on each occasion. There's no telling how wet you'll get because it depends on how the raft happens to spin. The first time, I got a little wet, but not a lot. The second time, I got drenched on one side, but I was dressed prepared to get wet and it was very warm out so drying out was fairly quick. Tip for if you want to try to minimize how wet you get - sit in one of the seats that has an adjoining seat on either side. If you sit in one of the seats that has an opening next to it on one side, you're more likely to get wet as it's easier for the water to pour over the side at that point rather than having to get entirely over the seat.

Also, definitely go the FastPass route. We did that both times and bypassed the two-hour line.

Ghoulish Delight
06-28-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by SoCalSnowWhite
it's pretty much the same ride as at Sea World and Magic Mountain. Don't get me wrong, i love the ride!!! every time i have been on, I've gotten soaked. I mean, it was as if I'd jumped in a pool with my clothes on!! I like it MUCH better than any other similar ride (MM, Knott's, etc). It feels much faster/out of control, more like actual rapids than a ride. Plus, of course, the drop, which no one else has (especially when the spin is workin'

coronamouseman
06-28-2002, 02:55 PM
You most certainly will get a little wet and if you are "unlucky" (or "lucky" in the case of your small kids who want to get soaked) you might get drenched .........

Not as wet as Bigfoot Rapids at Knott's where they simply pour water into the raft at several points .......... more like the Kali River ride at WDW or the one at SFMM or the one at SeaWorld in San Diego ........

innerSpaceman
06-28-2002, 02:55 PM
Yeah, when the spin is working this ride stands out a bit from it's cousins to be found everywhere else. The theming is also a little better than what you'd find elsewhere (though not fantastic by any means), and the ride seems to be a bit shorter than others of its type.

But it's all in the spin, dude. If that's not happening, this is just another raft ride.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-28-2002, 03:42 PM
Ride it on a day that's off-and-on rainy, but neither especially cold nor especially windy. And wear either a raincoat, poncho, or rain-parka, and either a hood or a sou'wester (since an umbrella would be ineffective at best, an eye-injury hazard at worst).

Why a rainy day? The rain gives you an excuse to be dressed properly for the ride!

MagicBeliever
06-28-2002, 04:35 PM
I enjoy this raft ride much more than those at other theme parks. The theming is much better, the "leaks" on the lift are more entertaining than you would think, and the drops can't be beat. How wet you end up always depends on how the raft turns, but the past few times we've gotten much more soaked on Splash than on the river run.

Ghoulish Delight
06-28-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Ride it on a day that's off-and-on rainy, but neither especially cold nor especially windy. And wear either a raincoat, poncho, or rain-parka, and either a hood or a sou'wester (since an umbrella would be ineffective at best, an eye-injury hazard at worst).

Why a rainy day? The rain gives you an excuse to be dressed properly for the ride! OKay, you've said this enough times for me to respond....are you water soluable or something :confused: ?!? It's just water! You'll be wet. On a hot day, it'll cool you down. It's not that big of a deal. You've said this a total of 11 times! I did a search for sou'wester. 11 posts by hbquikcomjames. I mean, is a little water really going to hurt you??

Okay, I feel better :p :D

triciaj
06-28-2002, 07:17 PM
this ride is definitely worth it, we did it four times in a row on a hot May day this year (well, i wimped out and only did it three times!) it was great. (after that we retreated to the Paradise Pier hotel for a nap and drying out!

the ride is also different depending on how many adults are in the raft. we had one that had all adults, and it sat lower in the water, and we seemed to get wetter that time.

if you go, though, make use of the lockers that are just beside the ride, they will keep everything dry!

cheers,

MonorailMan
06-28-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by triciaj

if you go, though, make use of the lockers that are just beside the ride, they will keep everything dry!

cheers,

The Best Thing: Thoes lockers are free!!!! :) (For Like The First 2 Hours) :)

Techie7
06-29-2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan

The Best Thing: Thoes lockers are free!!!! :) (For Like The First 2 Hours) :)

The lockers are free for the first 1 hour not 2.

Pony Sugrue
06-30-2002, 05:24 PM
While I absolutely love the way GRIZZLY PEAK looks, I rode it once and decided there was no need to ride it again because it has nothing to look at/for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time around. Like a whole lot of DCA, there's no theming.

Can you imagine SPLASH MOUNTAIN without anything but just that dirt/grass texture... and no creatures etc? Thunder Mountain with just red rocks and caves? JUNGLE CRUISE with just the river and some plants? That would be a rip-off. But for whatever reason, GRIZZLY has nothing but a bunch of fake rocks with no additional theming, and people seem to think it is splendid.

I don't get it.

MonorailMan
06-30-2002, 06:32 PM
It really great, as you rise, you can see all the mountains around you, even the Matterhorn. And It really feels like the mountains. The spin can't be beat ether. :)

stinkerbell
07-01-2002, 09:02 AM
We all loved it and got wet to various degrees on a variety of rides by hitting each rapid and the "spin" in a variety of spots. It's all about variety. ;) One time I got so wet, front and back, that by late afternoon I still wasn't dry and I had gone on it at ten am. I'm not one who loves to get wet, so this is a big thing for me. I ended up buying a new shirt later that day.

But I do have to say, that my mom went on it several times and didn't get wet north of her ankles! :rolleyes: Grrrrrr........