PDA

View Full Version : Will you get in trouble with more than 5 in room?

Pages : [1] 2

crydalhutch
07-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Just wondering if we could be in trouble with 2 adults and 3 kids and a 2 yr old in the resort hotel. We are not telling them about the 2 yr old. She should be free anyways right.I know there is a limit on standard rooms but the suites are way out of our budget and the second room is also out of our budget. We have to stay on the Disney property cause it is easier. Just wondering. Also this is my first post so PLEASE be nice!!!!

Malcon10t
07-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Just wondering if we could be in trouble with 2 adults and 3 kids and a 2 yr old in the resort hotel. We are not telling them about the 2 yr old. She should be free anyways right.I know there is a limit on standard rooms but the suites are way out of our budget and the second room is also out of our budget. We have to stay on the Disney property cause it is easier. Just wondering. Also this is my first post so PLEASE be nice!!!!
They could charge you for a second room. The problem with this is not the hotel, but the fire marshal. The fire marshal determines the maximum number of people in a room. You are exceeding this. If the location is out of your budget, you don't *HAVE* to stay there. The Park Vue has suites large enough, as does Desert Inn, Park Place, Tropicana, Carousel, and Camelot. Even these locations are about the same distance as walking to the DLH. The Park Vue and Park Place are closer than the Grand Californian.

Infinitely
07-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Keep in mind in the case of an emergency, you will want someone to know the 2 year old is in the room.

It really has to do with fire safety and being able to account for all guests in case something happens.

Have you considered an off-site suite?

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
07-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Its going to be a bit squishy with that many people. Five in a DLR room is sometimes even pushing it.

We crammed six two adults and four kids into a room at the Tropicana and we spent the entire weekend smashed into the room and both my friend and I kept waiting for someone to call us on the amount of people we had in the room and kick us out or charge us more. Really takes away from the magic, I would just stay at a non resort hotel. The Hotels suggested are all fine you can also get two rooms at the candy cane inn or the Tropicana for the same price as one at the DLR.

mistofviolets
07-09-2007, 07:17 PM
The park vue, park place or Desert suites are the same distance or closer. (literally...you aren't in downtown disney, but you are literally across the street. Walking through the shuttle drop off area.) They are not as ritzy, but the price tag reflects that fact :P

I understand that even the "entrance" to DCA from Grand Californian feels like a bit of a walk. If you bring a stroller, the harbor hotels will be just as convenient. (And you'll probably want a stroller for DLR hotels, too)

Like someone said...if there's an emergency; you'll want them to know about the little one. Although, I've never had a hotel that seemed to really know how many people we had.

minniemom
07-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I have to agree with everyone else. 6 people in a standard room would be completely uncomfortable. The two queen rooms or the rooms with one queen and a bunk bed really aren't that big. I know it might seem easier, but if this was my family everyone would be grumpy and this would cancel out any convience we might have gained. I would look into one of the suite hotels in the area.

Tinker Bell
07-09-2007, 08:07 PM
I have to dis agree with you all. I am a family of six. We stay at the DLH we all stay in 1 room. We told them we where 6 and they did not charge us more. They can't make you and your husband stay in 2 different rooms . They understand about large families . My 3 girls slept in one bed husband and I in another . Disney brought up a roll away bed that can be put up against the wall during the day.

Oh and how much time do you really spend in your room any ways.

biolabetty
07-09-2007, 08:17 PM
We are a family of 6 also. I asked Disney in December what the policy for 6 in a standard room was, and they said it was against the fire marshall law. I had to buy 2 rooms, connected, or they would not accept my reservation. That's what I did, and it was much more comfortable than having my oldest son sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag, he had a bed in the same room with his sister.

anniedg
07-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Ok, first a disclaimer, this is info from WDW -- but down there as long as the kiddo is two or under you can have them in the room. We're also a family of 6 and when our youngest was under three they'd let all 6 of us stay in a resort room made for 5 people (and it worked out fine for us, we made do). As soon as he turned three it was necessary to get two rooms or a suite.
I think you ought to just be up front and ask them. If it's not ok and you'd need two rooms, you really might consider some of the hotels on harbor blvd. Some of them are as close a walk as the DL hotel and Paradise Pier, but obviously a whole lot cheaper!
Good luck!

Foodie
07-09-2007, 08:51 PM
We were a family of four staying in one room and it was too many people. The bathroom became a real issue in terms of getting ready in time each morning. It might be easier in terms of logistics like everybody having a bed and having an extra bathroom to spread everybody out more.

-Foodie :)

Malcon10t
07-09-2007, 08:53 PM
We are a family of 6 also. I asked Disney in December what the policy for 6 in a standard room was, and they said it was against the fire marshall law. I had to buy 2 rooms, connected, or they would not accept my reservation. That's what I did, and it was much more comfortable than having my oldest son sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag, he had a bed in the same room with his sister.I just called and that is what they said on the phone. I really do feel that if you can't afford the suite, you really should look off site.

lauras5boys
07-09-2007, 09:06 PM
You'll be fine. It's really quite sad that many hotels don't accomodate large families with small children but there is pleanty of room and it will be fine.

Malcon10t
07-09-2007, 09:38 PM
You'll be fine. It's really quite sad that many hotels don't accomodate large families with small children but there is pleanty of room and it will be fine.But they do. All of the hotels in the area do offer "suites" ranging from the mini suites like at Park Place Inn to full suites or small apartment type set ups. Even the Disneyland hotel offers small suites for exactly this purpose. If the OP HAS to stay at the DLH, there are suites.

The problem with the hotels lies in the rooms are small and the fire marshal sets the capacity limits. The rooms at the Anaheim Hilton are small enough, the majority are only "legal" for 4 people and they cannot allow rollaways. We are a large family. We have never had a problem. But, we are aware of the laws, and we find rooms that are within our budget that will accommodate us properly.

kikid
07-10-2007, 05:18 AM
We used to stay at the Embassy Suites, one suite with livingroom and a separate bedroom.Embassy also offers (early am)a wonderful, made-to-order-hot-breakfast! My boys loved staying there when they were younger, and I enjoyed the privacy of the separate bedroom. We recently stayed at the DLH with two adults, and two teenage boys in one room! It was very crowded.

rmarino74
07-10-2007, 08:23 AM
I would have to agree that the reason that they do not allow 6 is for your safety as it is fire code and NOT the hotel that is determining the rule.

I would suggest the Desert Inn Suites as well as it is in about the same walking distance as the DLH and the price for a huge family suite is typically less than a standard room at the DLH! I would just think that you are going to be VERY uncomfortable with that many people in a standard room on property. And why go on vacation if you are going to be uncomfortable? The whole reason for vacation is to RELAX and enjoy.

Might not be what you want to hear, but I really believe that you will be much happier in a large family suite than in a standard studio room.

wwithers
07-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm in the minority here. If your family is comfortable, and you're comfortable...I say go ahead and do it. Personally, I don't see a moral or safety problem. It's not like you're going to leave your 2yo alone in the room (at least I hope not ;) ).
I can't imagine they are going to do a head count. On the other hand, if by small chance they DO (very small, IMO) you should be prepared to move or pony up the difference.

And before anyone jumps all over me, yes, I DO know what the fire marshall has said AND I also know why they put the limits on the rooms.

kristinhawk
07-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Ditto to wwithers, I guess we're in the minority together. I don't see an issue, other than potentially in your personal comfort. I have personal memories of a college spring break to mexico with 9 of us sharing one room. Affordable, but not comfortable.

Apples and oranges, but we went on a cruise when dd was not quite 2, and they let us have her with us in a cabin designed only for 2 passengers. I think that a child in a crib (under 2) shouldn't really count in terms of total number of guests.

Hope you have a great trip, either way!

DangerMouse
07-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I'll join the minority (hey, maybe soon we'll be the majority!). I have put 6 people in a standard room at the HoJo (talk about CHEAP!). No, we weren't able to spread out, but we weren't in our room much at all. You probably aren't going to do much but sleep in your room at the DLH anyway. Enjoy the grounds, pool and amenitities and don't worry about it.

TTFN92
07-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm in the minority too. We have 4 kids and always get one room. They are young enough that 3 sleep in the bed and they rotate to the floor. When we went to WDW though we had to get 2 rooms to stay onsite but that is the only time we've gotten 2. We've never had a problem with the bathroom either. It may be because I am the only girl in the family. But part of the boys take a bath at night and then a few, including me, in the morning. It is very doable.

hofmanns4
07-10-2007, 04:04 PM
I also think that you should go for it!

I would call the hotel and ask ahead of time (without giving your name, of course) about the addition of the 2 year old.

If I remember correctly, when we went in 05 and my DS was 6 months old, they did not even have him on the reservation since he was free. So they really had no idea he was in the room anyway. You would feel better knowing ahead of time so you are not looking over your shoulder for the room police:eek:

I forgot to add we were at the GC at the time.

ladodgerjon
07-10-2007, 04:33 PM
All I really wanna say is that I tip my hat to any set of parents that can still walk upright and formulate intelligent sentences (let alone plan a TRIP!) while being outnumbered by as many as FOUR kids!!!

I've only got one, and I'm tired all the time!

Bless all of you! ;-)

minniemom
07-10-2007, 05:03 PM
I think you are playing a big gamble if you decide on one room. If it is not in your budget for a second room, what are you going to do if you do get caught? I would be worried the entire time.

Malcon10t
07-10-2007, 05:05 PM
I think you are playing a big gamble if you decide on one room. If it is not in your budget for a second room, what are you going to do if you do get caught? I would be worried the entire time.I would check ahead of time, as if Disney does say an under 2 will not count towards the room count, then no biggie. But if they count, I too would be making some decisions.

rmarino74
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
My reasons for suggesting a larger family suite are mainly due to comfort. I am personally more comfortable with room to stretch out. In one small standard room at one of the Disney hotels with that many people, I would not be comfortable.

It is not worth it to me to give up my comfort while on my vacation just to stay at a certain hotel. You may feel differently.

bigrockstar
07-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Okay... Here's my two cents. I will be reiterating what was already said with sincere purpose, so please do not be offended. I only want to help.

Stay off-property. For the same price (or most likely quite a bit better), you can stay in a MUCH larger room that will be just as clean, just as convenient, just as fun, but also much more comfortable. This seems like an obvious choice to me.

As others have said, the "magic" of staying in an on-property hotel will quickly fade away as you will be so cramped and uncomfortable. It would probably be fun the first night or two, then, as you are stumbling over clothes, family members and toys, you will realize that you should have stayed in a larger, cheaper room off-property. There are many threads about off-property hotels here, or check a site like Tripadvisor. Once again, I'm only saying this because I want to help. Good luck! :)