PDA

View Full Version : The 411 on "Disney's Aladdin Live" at the Hyperion Theatre

awinner
06-27-2002, 11:05 PM
This will be the show that will be taking over Blast!!!!

It will open on November 28, 2002, with a soft opening starting on/about the 25th.

This show takes a sophisticated approach to character, similar to the concept behind the theatrical adaption of "The Lion King"; the actors themselves are the central focus of each character. None of the characters will be heavily masked or costumed.

So far the characters in the show are as follows:

Genie-singing role
Aladdin-singing role
Jasmine-singing role
Jafar-non singing role
Iago-must have some what of a singing ability
Sultan-must have some what of a singing ability

I know auditions start in L.A in July and in N.Y in August.

It is a six month contract-so who knows if it will go beyond that.

The music will be arranged, adapted and orchestrated by Timothy Mark Williams, although, I don't know if the music is live or pre-recorded.

Nigel2
06-27-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by awinner

Iago-must have some what of a singing ability

Get Gilbert Godfried, I am sure he isn't terribly busy at the moment with that Hollywood Squares thing. :ducks in case there are any fans awake at the moment::D

Flynn
06-28-2002, 11:52 AM
Interesting that it's a six month run. Makes one wonder if Shockwave will take over the theater once it's done on the road. Considering the success of Blast, it wouldn't be a bad call.

gn2dlnd
06-28-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2

Get Gilbert Godfried, I am sure he isn't terribly busy at the moment with that Hollywood Squares thing. :ducks in case there are any fans awake at the moment::D

"Ducks," that's funny. AFLAC!!!

LIMANDL4EVA
06-28-2002, 05:28 PM
speaking of shockwave, i know it opened some time ago at EPCOT, does anybody have any info or reviews? (IM sure its great anyways)

TP2000
06-28-2002, 10:24 PM
That info is interesting. It sounds as if they are going at this fairly organized, rather than throw something together at the last minute like the rest of DCA's entertainment changes and additions.

I'm intrigued by the use of the word "sophisticated" when used to describe this production. I hope that doesn't mean a trendy and "real world" take on the Alladin story, like the plotline of "Steps In Time". I thought they already got burned on the "hip and edgy" thing at DCA.

I just hope they don't try to take too high of a road with this thing, and get a theater full of theme park families with little kids wondering where the dancing carpets and wise cracking parrots are in this show. DCA can't stand another flop on the scale of Steps In Time.

JRob2k1
06-28-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by TP2000
I'm intrigued by the use of the word "sophisticated" when used to describe this production.

I think, from what I have read from the various "insiders" on the boards, that sophisticated will have to do with a quality storyline and some very special effects like Aladdin flying over the audience on the carpet. Should be interesting...

Starlight Express Rules!!;)

-JRob

BlastFanatic
06-29-2002, 09:54 AM
speaking of shockwave, i know it opened some time ago at EPCOT, does anybody have any info or reviews? (IM sure its great anyways)

Here's a thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7252) that will answer your questions. This could mean that it might also take the place of Aladdin in six months...

DisneylandBoy
06-29-2002, 08:44 PM
I am very excited about the new Aladdin show. I just hope that Disney pulls through on this one and makes it good!

Lost Boy
06-30-2002, 12:14 PM
I wonder about something. With the sucess of Blast and the possibilty of Blast II: Shockwave appearing out here next year or so, and the stories about a large-scale Aladdin Show (What an odd choice for a new stage show, the movie is old, the story is old, the movie isn't all that good if you remove Robin Williams, as the direct to video sequel proved), I wonder if the Hamburger woman that ruined so many of Disneyland's Theme Park shows is still in charge, or has she gone bye bye. I sure hope so, because if she in charge of staging Aladdin, then I probably won't waste my time until somebody else goes and tell us about it. I have no faith anymore in the live stage shows at the Disneyland Resort. Mickey's Detective School is auwful. It is so cheap and aimed straight at very young kids. They did such wonderful stage shows there like Beauty and the Beast, Pochantas and Animazement, not to mention Mickey's Nutcracker. I long for the old days of big, lavish stage shows at Disneyland, and DCA at the Hyperion, if they can ever get there act together.

sydney
06-30-2002, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't call a movie from the early 90s old, especially when snow white made such a great idea for disney dvd to really launch from.

Also, the part of the new Aladdin show I"m looking forward to the most is the music. I think Aladdin has my favorite score of any disney movie, and especially "A Whole New World". add in the flying carpet... which better have a personality to match... and I"m sold. I'll be first in line. But still-- glad to hear they will actually sing-- not lip sync.

Andrew
06-30-2002, 05:54 PM
I suppose this means that the Oasis show is toast when the new show opens? Sad.

MonorailMan
06-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Andrew

That would suck. :(

More unused space in DL.

gn2dlnd
07-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Andrew

I don't see why, Mickey still appears in Toontown, Main Street, Fantasmic, various parades, and at DCA. Personally, I'd like to see the Oasis turned back into a restaurant, but the little puppet show's a lot cheaper.

papajorgio
07-05-2002, 04:04 PM
I have heard that this show will be the testing ground for the full Broadway production of Aladdin.
Just like Beauty and the Beast started in a theme park and jumped to an amazing Broadway show, they hope Aladdin will follow suit.

The show is being directed by Francesca Zambello
http://www.francescazambello.com/

and choreographed by Lynne Talor-Corbett
director and chor. for Swing! and various ballet companies.

i hope i get in.

nick.

disguy
07-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Is aladdis Oasis still going? Always wanted to eat there but it's never open :(

MammaSilva
07-05-2002, 04:46 PM
um disguy .... that hasn't been a restaurant in longer than I can remember, it's strictly a story/show now

sydney
07-05-2002, 09:45 PM
has the show been cast yet? (not that I'm interested in rejection, so I would never try out, just courious) does anyone know how far along it is-- as in are they advertizing in trade publications or the disney job listings or what)

Uncle Dick
07-06-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by disguy
Is aladdis Oasis still going? Always wanted to eat there but it's never open :(
You can read about the rise and demise of Aladdin's Oasis on this page (http://www.yesterland.com/oasis.html) from Yesterland.