PDA

View Full Version : Debate... cotton candy at Disneyland?

lilstreet
07-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Ok, my mom and I are having a debate about this. She said that she remembers cotton candy being sold within DL. I said that I don't believe they do. Who is right????

We are leaving in about 2 hours to drive to DL, but I need to know now. Anybody??

adriennek
07-07-2007, 09:46 PM
I clicked on "Search this forum" and typed "Cotton Candy" found this very recent thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=71349) that talks about where to get Cotton Candy at DLR.

Adrienne

DLyouth27
07-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Yep, they certainly do. They make it backstage, so you won't find the carnival-style hoopla about it, but it's usually sold under the toontown DLRR bridge as well as other locations throughout both parks.

mariezp
07-08-2007, 10:29 AM
We have gotten cotton candy at a stand on the right hand side of Main Street on the same little alcove the red corn dog cart is located. (Just outside of the photo shop.)

Leofoenget
07-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Ok, my mom and I are having a debate about this. She said that she remembers cotton candy being sold within DL. I said that I don't believe they do. Who is right????

We are leaving in about 2 hours to drive to DL, but I need to know now. Anybody??

I know you can get it at DCA my son got some in May. I assume they have it at DL too

10-97
07-08-2007, 04:50 PM
My daughter likes the cotton candy, and we usually buy one for her. Then I'll ask for just one bite, and before you know it, I've eaten about half of it.

minniemom
07-08-2007, 05:03 PM
When I saw the title of your thread, I thought you were debating on whether or not you should buy cotton candy. The great debate my husband and I have is do we buy it for the kids and let them get all sticky, or do we tell them no & keep our sanity!!!

awinner
07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
they had some near the mark twain...it sells for $3

PragmaticIdealist
07-09-2007, 04:57 AM
Unfortunately, Disneyland now does sell cotton candy after Walt Disney, himself, expressly forbade it.

Spun sugar is cheap to make. So, who cares what Walt Disney thought? ... Right?

BarbD
07-09-2007, 05:19 AM
I bought some in front of Haunted mansion on a cart Saturday!! I also saw it in DCA on the Hollywood BLVD.

mkraemer
07-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Unfortunately, Disneyland now does sell cotton candy after Walt Disney, himself, expressly forbade it.

Well, *I* care what Walt thought. :)

I can understand not wanting gum in the park because people are so careless with it and it's messy.

But cotton candy? Why not that?

Malcon10t
07-09-2007, 10:25 AM

Can you provide a cite for this? I don't remember anything about forbidding cotton candy. I know he did on gum and peanuts in the shell.

snappy
07-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Yep, they certainly do. They make it backstage, so you won't find the carnival-style hoopla about it, but it's usually sold under the toontown DLRR bridge as well as other locations throughout both parks.

Disneyland and DCA (ODV) does not make cotton candy backstage. In the day cotton candy was made on stage for their guest, but as of now the Cotton Candy is purchased from an Outside Vendor and sold within the parks. Making the cotton candy created a big mess for the CM's. My 2 cents..Still love it though..

spectromen
07-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Yes, and I'm pissed about it. It was great getting freshly spun floss in front of the castle a few years ago, but every time we ask CMs, they say it's not being used anymore.

However, there is a 3rd party vendor on the bridge between DTD and the DL Hotel right now that spins it fresh. It's not "Disney" cotton candy, but it's on property!

Exitx
07-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Every time we go we get cotton candy on Main Street!

danyoung
07-10-2007, 08:46 AM

I'll be interested to see where this came from, as I've never heard it either. But this falls under the category of personal preference. We know that Walt didn't want his new park to be associated with the dirty carnival parks of the day, so perhaps he felt cotton candy was too much associated with the carny atmosphere. But Disney parks are so well established now that I can't see that it would make a dime's worth of difference. If there's a demand for it, bring it on!

disneyshoes
07-10-2007, 10:16 AM
We just had some over the 4th and it was Wonderful! Since that is the only time we get it I don't feel to bad about the sugar overload!

TTFN92
07-10-2007, 03:23 PM
I love getting cotton candy :p! That is a must for me. It is also a great treat to share.

Burnt Toast
07-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Disneyland and DCA (ODV) does not make cotton candy backstage. In the day cotton candy was made on stage for their guest, but as of now the Cotton Candy is purchased from an Outside Vendor and sold within the parks. Making the cotton candy created a big mess for the CM's. My 2 cents..Still love it though..

Tell me about it... the one shift that I took to help out ODV, because they were really short-staffed, I was put on Cotton Candy near Small World. They just told me to go there and nothing else... didn't tell me how big to make them, what really to do, or anything. I figured it out... but to pay them back I made these monstrous bunches of cotton candy for the Guests, easily twice the size of a "normal" one. Guests loved it. I gave one to a Guest and was like, "well, that's not bad for a first attempt!" the Guest looked at me and her mouth dropped open. Soon, as she walked away, other Guests noticed how big I made hers and I had a constant line until I finally had my break. Hell, if anything it made a lot of Guests happy and heck, they never "trained" me to make "proper" cotton candy... just threw me out there.

When I finally got a break, four hours after I started, my entire right side of my body was covered in pink cotton candy. I had cotton candy eyebrows, the right half of my paper hat was solid pink, my entire right half of my body... it was nasty. Needless to say, I didn't get to go back to Cotton Candy because the person who bumped me was not very happy that I had made them so big and "broke the rules". I simply looked at her and was like, "How long have you worked here? Radio back to base and send me back to my restaurant then, because I'm only here as a favor to your department. Yah, that's right... btw, thanks for the extra hour of pay for not giving me my break after two hours." Hee hee.

Was fun though.

Disney Vault
07-14-2007, 12:10 PM
I can't ever remember seeing cotton candy at the resort. I must be oblivious or just running to my next attraction too fast haha:D

9volt
07-14-2007, 04:27 PM
So if my understanding is correct, the cotton candy is sold pre-packaged? It's basically a cart with pre-packaged bags of cotton candy?

Park Freak
07-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Yes, yes it is. :D

abookworm
07-14-2007, 06:29 PM
So if my understanding is correct, the cotton candy is sold pre-packaged? It's basically a cart with pre-packaged bags of cotton candy?

It is in a bag but it does "look" fresh-it's not all smashed like at stores or anything.

TTFN92
07-14-2007, 08:24 PM
It is pre-packaged but it is on a stick and is still sooo yummy! It still seems very fresh to me. :p

DaddyB
07-15-2007, 05:41 PM

Spun sugar is cheap to make. So, who cares what Walt Disney thought? ... Right?What's your source? I'm pretty sure Cotton Candy was available in the park in the 1950's.

I usually buy mine in Tomorrowland, across from the "Buzz" fastpass area.