PDA

View Full Version : Got Hired At DL

Pages : [1] 2

Cinemascribe
06-27-2002, 08:22 PM
I was hired to work at the Disneyland Resort in the Attractions department- My orientation is on the 6th! Anyone else gonna be there?????

Coreybelle

DisneylandKid
06-27-2002, 08:30 PM
:D:)Congratulations!:):D

Disney Nick
06-27-2002, 09:18 PM
Attractions.. nice choice. I sooo wish I went to school close enough to get a job at Disneyland. But here's my new plan... once I get out of law school I can go work in Burbank and tell those damn lawyers to stop worrying so much and open up Tom Sawyer Island and stop messing with Splash!!! YAY... Well not really.. But working for Disney would be cool, even though the only way it would happen is if I was one of those Disney lawyers I've hated so much. Or I could go to law school at UCLA.. that's close enough to get a job :). Hope you have fun!!

mikala
06-27-2002, 10:04 PM
Congratulations.
The best place on earth, woo hoo.

Mikala:cool:

Cinemascribe
06-27-2002, 10:22 PM
Thanks you guys, I am totally excited about going back to the park!!!

I was so hoping to connect with someone else who got the same orientation date as me! That would be so cool.

PhilMP
06-27-2002, 11:55 PM
Attractions has more people than they can handle and Casting is still hiring? And here I am still working six or seven days...with people who don't have the intelligence to handle a bottle of air, much less a couple thousand bucks.
:confused:

Oh well, this behavior from Casting has been common over the past several months...I can only hope it changes before I go crazy.

Phil

Cinemascribe
06-28-2002, 12:09 PM
where in attractions do you work?

ChipmunkStar
06-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Cinemascribe, Phil doesn't work in Attractions. That's why he's so grumpy. . . They aren't hiring nearly enough people for ODV, ad the ones they do hire are. . .well. . . not the brightest crayons in the box. (That's why I got out when I could. . . ha ha ha! )

~T
Former ODV CM (Oct 2000~June2001)
Current _________ CM :)

Cinemascribe
06-28-2002, 12:31 PM
I'm sorry.. ODV?

ChipmunkStar
06-28-2002, 12:35 PM
OutDoor Vending.

Cinemascribe
06-28-2002, 12:38 PM
Ah.. I see. From the process I went thru a month ago, they gave me a choice between any of the departments. Is that usual? Or do they usually assign people to departments or areas without asking them what they would like to do?

My cousin went the same day and was told only those with full availalbility were being hired.

9oldmen
06-28-2002, 02:03 PM
During peak periods like summer, don't they ask everyone to be fully available?

marron-cream
06-28-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Cinemascribe
Ah.. I see. From the process I went thru a month ago, they gave me a choice between any of the departments. Is that usual? Or do they usually assign people to departments or areas without asking them what they would like to do?

My cousin went the same day and was told only those with full availalbility were being hired.

When I hired in, they asked me to pick some departments, put them in order of preference, and they'd do their best to meet my needs. I got into where I wanted to be.

And yeah, they tend to be very strict about availability in the summer and other peak seasons. If they're looking for people now, they don't want to hear that you'll be able to accomodate them sometime in October. They want you five days and they want it NOW. :cool:

Cinemascribe
06-28-2002, 06:52 PM
I am extremely excited about starting, about orientation, about every part of the process, however as of late, I have had a couple of CMs giving me bad reports, in essence - discouraging me as to the work enviroment. I worked for Disneyland in 1991, and it was something I never forgot.

You can imagine this is true when you consider that at 29, I am leaving a 40k a year job to pursue a writing career, and to go back to something fun and less stressful...

I let them know they can have me anytime they want, day, night, weekends, grad nights.. whatever.. I am game.

However, I am a little worried about all this stuff I hear from people about how the atmosphere is rather competitive, and cagey, and the enviroment is anything but fun...

Someone please tell me they LOVE the job, and that it's not crappy, so I can go to orientation on Saturday feeling good!

C

MonorailMan
06-28-2002, 08:37 PM
Someone please tell me they LOVE the job, and that it's not crappy, so I can go to orientation on Saturday feeling good!

C

I'm sure Uncle Dick will give you all the happiness you need. :)

Rallymonkey23
06-28-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan

I'm sure Uncle Dick will give you all the happiness you need. :)

I'm sorry for knocking this thread off balance but, I'm glad to see you posting Monorailman..... I was worried about you. Is it still smokey there? Do you have gas masks on? :D

blusilva
06-28-2002, 11:31 PM
Coryebelle, congratulations.

By the way, can I have your old $40K job?

;)

Have fun!

PhilMP
06-29-2002, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by ChipmunkStar
Cinemascribe, Phil doesn't work in Attractions. That's why he's so grumpy. . . They aren't hiring nearly enough people for ODV, ad the ones they do hire are. . .well. . . not the brightest crayons in the box. (That's why I got out when I could. . . ha ha ha! )

Well...the ones they hire now for ODV aren't the brightest crayons in the box, as put in your words. And they're hiring maybe 3 a week, while Store Ops, Attractions, and a few other departments are getting many, many, many more.

I remember when they actually hired intelligent, hard-working people to work ODV. Now it's like they're sending us the ones who slip through the cracks. Oh well, maybe it's my innate distrust in the new hires after a couple we received, who promptly got fired.

danyoung
06-29-2002, 05:35 AM

C

My older brother has been a merchandise lead with DL for almost 20 years now. He was on the team that opened up several of the stores in DCA. After 20 years he still loves his job! But then he has a lot of freedom in his position, cruising between 3 different merch locations. I try to draw him out on discussions about CM dissent, dumb management decisions, etc., but it's very tough. He's about as strong a company man as you'd ever find.

Good luck with your new career direction!

MammaSilva
06-29-2002, 07:10 AM
any company with as many employees as Disney has is bound to have some with negative attitudes, don't let others influence your opinion, go to your orientation with the joy in your heart you felt the second you heard you were hired, walk on stage with that same joy and let those sourpuss folk wallow in their own negativity, will there be negative stuff, most likely, but to use a totally corny saying that my grandmother used, when someone gives you lemons just make lemonaide out of them......easy to say not so easy to do I know, but if you want to be having fun at work then you can make it be fun :)

ChipmunkStar
06-29-2002, 07:20 AM
:) OK, Ill just warn you. After being through Orientation (twice!), It is probably one of the most boring things ever. Don't get me wrong, some of the stuff is fun (Disney History, skits, etc.) But some of the stuff goes on and on and on. . .

But after that, the job RULES! It's like paid playtime. If you lve DL, you might just find you appreciate it a little more after you start working there :)

thamnarestan
06-29-2002, 11:24 AM

The good applicants will be given their choice of departments. Those who are not good enough for, say, Guest Relations or Attractions, will still be hired, but will be forced into Foods. Those who Disney chooses not to hire will be told that they need to have full availability (or will be given some other excuse).

Congratulations, by the way. If I had to guess, I'd say that you'll be working at Splash. That's where there is the greatest need, and where most new hires are going. Either that or Fastpass (pray you don't get FP!).

thamnarestan
06-29-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by PhilMP

Well...the ones they hire now for ODV aren't the brightest crayons in the box, as put in your words. And they're hiring maybe 3 a week, while Store Ops, Attractions, and a few other departments are getting many, many, many more.

I remember when they actually hired intelligent, hard-working people to work ODV. Now it's like they're sending us the ones who slip through the cracks. Oh well, maybe it's my innate distrust in the new hires after a couple we received, who promptly got fired.

From my perspective, Casting is getting better and worse at the same time.

On the good side, they are hiring more cute girls for the big Westside attractions, and on the whole, the quality of new hires seems to be pretty good.

On the bad side, they have hired a few bad apples recently into Attractions. One new guy at Splash scares all the CMs there, and even some guests too. Last week during a downtime he even remarked to an upset guest that at his old job at Chucky Cheese, he "just snapped, blew a nut, and pushed a kid off the playground." Besides that, he always acts way too cheerful with his fellow CMs. And it seems that whenever he works in the control tower, something bad happens...

Phil, what exactly did the new hires in your department do?

thamnarestan
06-29-2002, 11:38 AM

Whoever told you that the work environment is competetive must have been on crack.

The job is so kick-back and fun. I wouldn't work at Disneyland, with the costuming, parking, shuttle, bad pay etc. situtations if I didn't have fun. As long as you have a fun attraction, you'll have a good time.

Cinemascribe
06-29-2002, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all the info. Splash sounds like fun. I am just sick and tired of sitting on my bum typing all day, or giving orientation on sexual harrassment to a bunch of yawning people which is what my last job was like. I chose to work at DL while I use my grant to write screenplays because I want to have fun at work for the first time, in a long time, and I remember loving going to work when I was 18 and working on Main Street in Store Ops.

Speaking of which, what is the demographic like- age wise- is it odd to be 29 and working at DL? LOL

Corey:p

PS: Why not FP? Really boring?