PDA

View Full Version : Which Disney coaster to try first?

Pages : [1] 2

Glass Slipper
07-07-2007, 12:12 AM
In less than three months I will be taking my 10th Disneyland trip, and I have to admit, in all those vacations I have yet to ride any of the roller coasters! :( In my lifetime I have only been on two kiddie-style coasters and was terrified on both, mainly because I felt like I was about to fly right out of the seats or jump the tracks! But I do feel that I am missing something by not being courageous enough to take a ride on at least one of Disneyland's famous roller coasters.

If anyone would like to share thoughts on which coaster to try first....for a "coaster coward" like myself....I would appreciate the tips! If it helps at all, I know that I do not like tight curves or the feeling of falling out of a car, but I do enjoy big drops. Give me Splash Mountain any day!

Mermaid
07-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Hmmmm.... I would go with either Matterhorn or Big Thunder. MH can be a little jerky but is pretty good if you sit by your self. When I go with two people I just ask for two singles. Two adults in one sled is a bit tight and your knees will not appreciate that around the turns. Big Thunder is a little faster but not quite as jerky!

RockDoc07
07-07-2007, 06:53 AM
I would agree. Do one of those two first, and I would lean toward Big Thunder. I know they are not exactly the same, but on our recent trip to WDW I went on Space Mountain for the first time and I think if I went on it first I would not have gone on BTMRR or the Matterhorn, and I would certainly (and have!) ride those again and again.

Have a great time! Let us know what you think?

Cool Runnings!
Doc

Seashellmama
07-07-2007, 07:35 AM
For the record, most "kiddie" roller coasters are horrible, and not much like real roller coasters at all (they tend to be jerky, bouncy, have no drops or smooth wooshy turns, using mostly very tight up-down-up-down to pretend to simulate a real roller coaster which just makes you feel like your head is going to fall off. in my experience). If the kiddie coasters you've been on were at carnivals or places with similar rides, then these aren't a good indication of the joy of roller coasters.

I think Gadget's Go Coaster in Toon Town would be a great "first" roller coaster- it's a "kiddie" coaster, but nothing like the awful ones. It's about a 45 second ride, swooshy and fast. Even my mom went on it when begged by my (roller coaster loving) 2.5 year old!

vickieluvsmickey
07-07-2007, 07:48 AM
My vote is for Big Thunder, too. My in-laws, who are in their 70's, love it just as much as my kids do.

~slight derail~ Glass Slipper, I see you're from Bellingham. My grandma used to live in Bellingham (at Ankar Park), and in Lynden prior to that. DH and I LOVE Bellingham! :D We think it's absolutely the most perfect place to live. I dream of just packing it all up and moving up there, but our kids are grounded here. We think it would be wonderful to retire there, or at least buy a vacation home in the meantime! :) Yay, Bellingham!

Ragrobyn
07-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Matterhorn - Tomorrowland side (at night if you can swwing it). It seems to me to be the less jerky side - and of course the faster side. Disney Rollercoasters are great because they are not the "scary" coasters from other Theme parks. You will be caught up in the theme and can forget the coaster part. Besides, you will be in Disneyland - it's all good :D

Wendi
07-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Big Thunder Mountain is great. California Screamin' is excellent too. I wouldn't do Matterhorn if I were you, it is very jerky-bumpy-chunky and it just bruises me up - I have given it another chance though, and if I sit in my own car and brace myself really well trying not to let any of my body parts actually touch the sides of the car (other than my hands) I'm OK. BTMRR gets my vote anytime, especially at night! California Screamin' is so smooth, it's a wonderful coaster. It is pretty long though, so I would do BTMRR first and see how you feel about taking on more.

Clotho
07-07-2007, 10:01 AM
I have to chime in that I wouldn't recommend Matterhorn either. Too jerky.

My hubby was a coaster-weenie until high school, when he finally tried Big Thunder, and fell in love. Now he is a thrill junkie like me. :)

BUT! This is going to sound like a big leap, but I would recommend California Screamin'. You say your fear is "flying out of your seat". All the smaller coasters do not have much in the way of restraints. Not that you need them! I promise, you will NOT fly out, and the restraints are plenty to keep you safe. But if that is your fear, then a full shoulder-harness restraint might be a great first try, IMO. You will never be able to fly out of those seats, and you will get a smooth, swoopy ride!

californiagirlx7
07-07-2007, 10:35 AM
I would say California Screamin', it seems a bit daunting but the ride is really smooth and you feel pretty strapped in.

nvmom
07-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Well I am a serious chicken. Our first trip to DLR we didn't go on a single "big" ride (still had a fabulous time btw.) Our 2nd trip I went on Matterhorn, 3rd I did BTMRR. Big Thunder is fun!! Yes, I was very scared (seriously)- the first time. I had nice people all around me, assuring me that it would be great, and it was.

I still haven't been on Screamin', Tower of Terror and others. At this point I have no desire to. Maybe someday.

I would agree that the little coaster in Toon Town is a good start too.

nvmom

3duckgirl3
07-07-2007, 10:40 AM
My brother and I have made a pact to go on Screamin' together. We both hate drops, but from watching some YouTube videos (which I highly recommend...you can get pretty much any ride and have a good idea of how jerky/scary it is) and it seems all right...banked falls, for the most part, and more fast and curvy than anything else. Here's hoping we make it! (And try the YouTube thing...it's sweet!)

cookie7762
07-07-2007, 10:59 AM
I agree, Big Thunder MRR is the one. Sit toward the front, not the very front if it scares you, but the hills on Big Thunder aren't that big, but the train is long, so if you are toward the front you take the hills a bit slower waiting for the tail end to catch up.

V.I.N.CENT.
07-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Big Thunder all the way. It gives you nice breaks in between segments to catch your breath if you are not a big coaster fan. Each fast segment is pretty short.

Susan L
07-07-2007, 02:50 PM
I say take a risk and do Space Mt. first, screamin and laughin all the way :eek: :D

sjcivilady
07-07-2007, 03:26 PM
I say take a risk and do Space Mt. first, screamin and laughin all the way :eek: :D

Ahhhh! Noooo wayyy!! lol.... She would probably never try one of the easier ones after that! I love Matterhorn - it's usually the first one I go on - even though it's bumpy, cause lines are shortest first thing in the morning. But then I DON'T like long drops. I have forced myself to do Splash and can now handle the long drop. I've never been able to do Screamin' though - although I'm starting to talk myself into it. Maybe next trip. I especially love matterhorn at night during the fireworks. :)

CookieBandit
07-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I love Splash Mountain too! :p

I'm on the fence about roller coasters but DL's roller coasters are pretty good. I tend to like Matterhorn a little more than Big Thunder - I remember riding Matterhorn as a kid, but not Big Thunder at all. My mom (who doesn't like roller coasters) will ride Matterhon but on our last trip, she didn't want to ride Big Thunder.

I also like sitting by myself on Matterhorn. Last trip - we had to sit two adults per slot, so 4 adults in a bobsled... I didn't really like it that way.

Space Mountain is kind of an acquired taste, I guess. I rode it for maybe the 2nd time in my life this last time (1st time was in 1999?) and I didn't really like it all that much. I also didn't really like that it is almost pitch black inside the ride (so you feel a little sensory-deprived).

But Matterhorn or Big Thunder would be a good first start... Gadget's Go Coaster is fun too but if there's a line (which there is, most of the time) - it's not worth waiting for 45+ minutes for a 45 second ride...

Glass Slipper
07-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all the helpful tips and advice. I am really enjoying hearing your opinions and learning more about the coasters. Keep them coming!

It looks as though most of you are leaning toward Big Thunder or the Matterhorn as a "first" for me. I seem to remember from books/reviews I have read in the past that the Fantasyland side of the Matterhorn is supposed to be a "smoother" ride. Just wondering if anyone has done both sides and noticed a significant difference. Probably a minor detail, but just something I'm curious about!

What I really need is a group of MPs with me the first time I ride a coaster to coach me along....anyone going the first week of October? :)

Ragrobyn
07-08-2007, 08:59 AM
The Fantasyland side is a little bit slower. Here is a link to the video of the ride side by side - Fantasyland side and Tomorrowland sidehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfHEeYEXhHs

Doug
07-08-2007, 12:01 PM
That side by side it great, interesting to see the differences!

Depressing to watch the skyway video :( .... we have lost enless photo ops :'(

The Fantasyland side is a little bit slower. Here is a link to the video of the ride side by side - Fantasyland side and Tomorrowland sidehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfHEeYEXhHs

Doug
07-08-2007, 12:09 PM
CalScreamin - Smooth, pretty fast, BIG DROPS <- which is what you like, and the hardness and high side walls, definitely make you feel like you are not going anywhere, which is a good is a good thing, because this baby goes upside down ;) ... radical for a Disney park, a snoozer for other parks, where they have rides that have upwards of 7 inversions ;) hehe.... this is my vote for 1st one to go on....

BTM - Kind of jerky, lots of fun though... sit towards the back for the strongest effect, sit towards (but not all the wall to the front) for a "mellower" experience...

Space Mtn - In the dark, has a couple of big drops, the dark can be disorienting, but you can't really see how high you are... very fun though....

Matterhorn, VERY jerky, I rarely ride it, maybe 1 in 5-10 visits do I ride it (then again, I go at least once a month, so...) I feel like I am going to fly out of it, because the seating is wide, but only the seatbelt holds you in place... not recommended!

Gadgets go coaster? They have a rollercoaster over there?! Haha... never noticed... I guess I should go back to Toon Town :).... very rarely go there (been years)....

Avoid the kiddie roller coaster in Cal Adventure, it's bad...

So, I suggest CalScreamin, secure, and big drops...

Seashellmama
07-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Avoid the kiddie roller coaster in Cal Adventure, it's bad...

what kiddie coaster in CA?

Glass Slipper
07-08-2007, 03:50 PM

I'm guessing Mulholland Madness. No one else has mentioned that one so far. I heard it breaks down all the time, so maybe it is never running long enough for anyone to ride it:eek:

Wendi
07-08-2007, 04:14 PM

I was trying to figure out the same thing!!! hahaha

minniemom
07-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I love coasters, but I can not stand the Matterhorn. It is so bumpy and jerky. Until you gain somewhat of a comfort level, I would stay away from this one.

My first impression of California Screamin was that it was one of the smoothest roller coasters I have ever been on. I know this one may seem scary, but you are so snug in the car, you won't feel like you are going to fall out. Good luck!! If I was going to be there in Oct, I would come along to cheer you on!!

DrAlice
07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Bring an IPod and try them all...

After experiencing the "Rockin Both Parks" this spring (Space Mountain and Ca. Screamin had music installed for a couple of months), I found that I have NEVER in my life been so relaxed on a roller coaster as when there was music that I loved playing. And my friend (who normally takes an anti-anxiety pill before Screamin - and keeps her eyes shut the whole time), was singing with her eyes open and ARMS UP the whole time!! It was awesome.

Seriously, your favorite music will cure all fears. :)

-A