PDA

View Full Version : Will the great Little Mermaid dark ride finally come to Disneyland ?

loaloa
07-06-2007, 04:37 PM
A looong time ago, i.e at the opening of Disneyland Paris, back in 1992, when one bought a map of the park, you could see a Little Mermaid attraction in the Fantasyland area with these words "future attraction". Well, it was such a "future" attraction that it never opened, and probably will never will, at least in DLP.

But all is not lost as the idea to bring a Little Mermaid attraction at Disneyland, Anaheim is seriously in talks.
One month ago, at the opening of the Finding Nemo's submarine voyage at Disneyland, Ed Grier in an interview to a web site cited "...his personal favorite as The Little Mermaid... "The Little Mermaid continues to be a Disney classic," he said during a roundtable talk at Main Street's Opera House, noting that the animated version of the Hans Christian Andersen story has been adapted for Broadway. "Imagineer Tony Baxter has done great work on a Little Mermaid-based attraction. Have we officially drawn plans up? No, we haven't. But I think we can one day."
Mind you, this doesn't mean that a definitive decision has been done to bring the Little Mermaid attraction for sure at Disneyland. So don't get too excited right now.
But the good news is that legendary imagineer Tony Baxter was recently named as the Imagineer in charge of Disneyland - to supervise Disneyland's development. And, as the Little Mermaid project was created by Tony Baxter AND that it is a great dark ride project, my feeling is that it's time again to cross our fingers and hope that Ed Grier will make the right choice between eventual different concept around the same theme.

Mermaid
07-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Well, that would be cool to see the concept shown on the Little Mermaid DVD made into a ride. Maybe where Pinnochio is! But, I would only ride it if it had a loop!

Mr.Abominable
07-06-2007, 11:50 PM
I think that this would be a great concept. In addition to that, I think all dark rides should have a loop!

olegc
07-07-2007, 08:14 AM
well, some of that already exists at Toko DIsney Seas... but where to put it unless you gut something else. Could this be the demise of Mr. Toad in Anaheim? Hmmm... maybe they'll take the area where the Skyway chalet is...

However, anything like this is a far way off - given that it seems the majority of attention may be spent on DCA for the next few years...

JCLowesman
07-07-2007, 08:28 AM
I agree that a Little Mermaid ride would be a wonderful idea. The old skyway station area would be a great spot. If I recall, there is a bit of empty land in that area, although it may incur into Frontierland a bit by cutting into Big Thunder Ranch.

BTW, all dark rides are loops, just horizontal. If they weren't, you would never come home.:~D