PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Kidlets (Big and Small) Occupied in Line

Pages : [1] 2

adriennek
07-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Lets try a spin on this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=72891) to keep the good ideas flowing. :)

Your mission:

Share games, tricks, strategies, time passing activities, etc, that you use to keep yourselves and/or family and/or friends entertained in line or while waiting for shows or in restaurants or wherever at the Magic Kingdom.

:)

Adrienne

Andrew
07-06-2007, 02:51 PM
I like to look around for little-known things like birdhouses, weathervanes, window frames, etc and take close-up pictures of them. :~D

Infinitely
07-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Look at scenery….yes, we are boring. My oldest (12), likes to look at the gardens/statuary to get ideas for our yard. Apparently our backyard is supposed t turn into New Orleans Square, it hasn’t yet, but thinking about it and coming up with ideas in line keeps him busy. I can’t remember the last time we had a really long wait, as we usually go in off season. I think they just think about what is going on around them. Next time we are there and they seem to be pondering something, I will ask them what they are thinking about….maybe they have a whole exciting adventure going on in their heads that I know nothing about.

Infinitely
07-06-2007, 02:53 PM
I like to look around for little-known things like birdhouses, weathervanes, window frames, etc and take close-up pictures of them. :~D

You gave me a GREAT idea, I will give them each a camera!

D15
07-06-2007, 03:02 PM

I do the same thing! I'll also take pictures of "odd" things (aka things that wouldn't necessarily be recognizable in a particular line) and then later when we're back home, I'll bring out the pictures and we'll play the "Where can this be found?" game to psych ourselves up for our next trip :)

adriennek
07-06-2007, 03:12 PM
You gave me a GREAT idea, I will give them each a camera!

I think that digital cameras are the greatest invention ever for kids.

Seriously.

Adrienne

crazi4dlr
07-06-2007, 03:14 PM
With my kids we sang, probably to the annoyance of those around us, but we would sing whatever Disney song we could come up with. Between that and everything there is to look at, I found I could divert their attention for short periods and then have to change it up. Also playing the I Spy game is very successful even with the little ones. With the littlest of them I found that if there are 2 or more of us in line, taking the little one for a walk works too. Most folks are pretty gracious about letting you in and out if you're trying to deal with a little person.

~derail: AdK that is the proudest looking little boyscout I have ever seen. He's way too cute! :) end derail~

disneyperson
07-06-2007, 03:18 PM
I think that digital cameras are the greatest invention ever for kids.

Seriously.

Adrienne
I know Zero would have had a blast with one when she was little. We used to give her a disposable camera to shoot up as she willed, but she would usually use it all up right away. With a digital they can snap away all they want.

I used to carry a notepad with me so we could draw. One that Zero really likes was one of us would draw a squiggle and then the next person would make it into soemthing.

OK I lied. I still carry a notepad with me so we can draw.

Clotho
07-06-2007, 03:24 PM
I used to carry a notepad with me so we could draw. One that Zero really likes was one of us would draw a squiggle and then the next person would make it into soemthing.

I love this idea! I remember doing this in a creative thinking course one summer as a kid. Sounds like fun for all ages!

adriennek
07-06-2007, 03:27 PM
~derail: AdK that is the proudest looking little boyscout I have ever seen. He's way too cute! :) end derail~

Thank you. :) He's my happy little Tiger Cub who's watched his brother for three years just waiting for his turn. Can you imagine how happy the littlest will be when he finally gets HIS uniform? :)

Back on topic: Trivia - have your kids recite their scout oaths and practice the stuff they have to memorize ;)

Of course, my eldest has been known to sing Wakko's America (http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/a/animaniacs8676/wakkosamerica295694.html). We promise to make him stop after one round. :D

Adrienne

disneyperson
07-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Once I came up with the correct answer to a Trivial Pursuit question only after singing that song until I got to the right city .

DizneyMommy
07-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Small magna-doodles from Target keep my 2 year old entertained to no end. They are cheap and lightweight and small enough to easily fit in our preschool size backpack

disneyperson
07-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Small magna-doodles from Target keep my 2 year old entertained to no end. They are cheap and lightweight and small enough to easily fit in our preschool size backpack
That's a great idea!

adriennek
07-06-2007, 04:16 PM

Ok, I have to amend my digital camera comment from earlier because this is another one of those "greatest invention" things. We have to take multiples of these to church with us because the other toddlers get fussy when they see Cman playing with his and he doesn't share well. (Ok, I don't have to. I choose to. :D ) I've given them away to our friends with kids in that age group.

Adrienne

shna
07-06-2007, 04:37 PM
~another slight derail/ ADK -- I agree! Your son is absolutely freakin' ADORABLE. He looks a lot like his Mommy, too. He'd be the spitting image of you if you were to dye his hair (not that I'm recommending that... I'm just sayin'). ~end derail

Thank you for starting this thread, by the way. I was a little bummed to see the other one get shut down. One bad apple.... :mad:

Something I may try is just bringing my super-cheap solar calculator. DD pulled that out of my purse last night and kept herself entertained for a couple of hours. :p

Malcon10t
07-06-2007, 05:07 PM
MDM usually carries a book and 20Q with her and all the kids of their iPods. While my "kids" are 17, 18, 20 and 21, we still get Children's menus for the 3 younger ones. In lines or waiting for parades/fireworks, they usually have a deck of cards or play speed. In open lines they have been known to work on their forms. We are usually in HA lines, where you sit 20 mins, then move 5 feet and wait another 20 mins. So they have a lot of sitting time. The dog also keeps us entertained and busy (questions from others, we get a lot of them... "Whats its name? How old is he? How do you get him to wear his ears? Why do you have him? Is he going to ride?" etc... Feel free to ask questions! We don't mind answering.) If all else fails, we will mess with MDM's snacks...

E-ORLover
07-06-2007, 06:06 PM
My two big ideas this trip
1) letting my boys play with their gameboys (they can simply but them in "their" camelbacks, when not in use)
2) I am a prenurisng student and I am taking a human body class this summer quarter, I have made up several sets of flash cards for myself (heart, bones, muscles)and will have my DH "quiz" me on them. I figured an hour and a half of standing in line will be very good use to "study" and have fun at the same time and the broken up times between that gives my mind a break (because I'm sure it will need it). Hoping this works.

jMom
07-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Of course, my eldest has been known to sing Wakko's America (http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/a/animaniacs8676/wakkosamerica295694.html). We promise to make him stop after one round. :D

Adrienne
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Just when I thought I was going to get some sleep tonight! I will now be dreaming in looneytune vision! ;)

(wah! I miss Animaniacs!)

My current game plan is to talk to my 4yo daughter about what's around us and, um, make stuff up as we go (like the Seven Dwarves sometimes get to empty the trash cans). Of course, we get a lot of help from the park (like the Queen from Snow White up in her window, behind the curtain).

adriennek
07-06-2007, 07:52 PM

Vol 3 is out!!! Target had it for $35, Costco for $25. :D

Signed,
The Enabler

disneyperson
07-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Vol 3 is out!!! Target had it for $35, Costco for $25. :D

Signed,
The Enabler

Yay! I didn't know that! Thanks,Adrienne.

yohomama212
07-06-2007, 08:22 PM
I too try to stock up on Target's Dollar Spot toys. I have to find a way to distract a 2yo and a 4.5yo in lines, which means I have to change their activities every 10-15 minutes! :eek: Since I'm home-preschooling now too, I plan to do a lot of flash cards one we pick up a tighter schedule in the Fall.

Elizabeth

Andrew
07-06-2007, 09:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8aZp6TnL08 :D :D :D

aznewsboy
07-06-2007, 10:05 PM
This idea is for restaurants. I made up a bingo grid with hand drawn pictures of things you might find inside.Easy ones like salt & pepper,straw,fork,french fries,ketchup,balloon,pizza,ice cream,money,stroller,highchair,& harder to find ones like a girl with pigtails,a man in a hat, a mickey mouse, a clock,a tv,pair of glasses,a green shirt,or a crying child). I bought bingo stampers for the kids and they both try real hard not to be the "crying child". Some they get right off the bat but others take just long enough to maybe get bingo before the food arrives. I have 2 kids so I made 2 different grids with the pictures in different spaces so no one got bingo at the same time and I made extra copies.The stampers fit easy in the backpack with the papers or you could just use the crayons you get at the restaurant. They liked it so much we even play it at hometown restaurants. My non-reader likes that he can play just by looking at the picture.

leota's necklace
07-06-2007, 10:13 PM

:)

Do you ever do exquisite corpses? They can be a lot of fun.

For the uninitiated: fold a piece of paper into thirds, widthwise.

The first person draws a head in the first section, and folds the paper back so it cannot be seen. The next person takes the paper and draws a body, then folds the paper over. The next person draws the legs and feet. Open then up & hilarity ensues.

Mermaid
07-06-2007, 11:27 PM
For older kids who wouldn't get their feelings hurt, we used to fold a paper into fours. Each person would draw something (say a cow) the best they can in one minute. Then someone else (random people are more fun) votes on whose was the best!

Do they still make those carbon things with a plastic sheet type thing over it. You draw on it (tic tac toe) and then you lift it and it clears itself. Those are cheap and have endless possibilities.