PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they use the queue's much for some rides anymore?

justagrrl
06-27-2002, 06:17 AM
Why don't they use the queue's much for some rides anymore?

i.e. Indiana

Uncle Dick
06-27-2002, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl
Why don't they use the queue's much for some rides anymore?

i.e. Indiana
FastPass

Ghoulish Delight
06-27-2002, 06:25 AM
There have been a couple different theories. The most popular, and most cynical, is that it supposed to make these rides look more popular and crowded than they actually are, inflating public perception of how well the park is doing. Personally, I believe it's a combination of 1) it makes it easier to deal with FP. Just stop the line outside the door and let the FP holders walk on in and 2) saves them a bundle on air conditioning costs. When they DID ouse the lines (especially Indy), it was ALWAYS a confortable temperature in there. That's a huge building that holds a lot of people. It must have been costing them a fortune to cool that thing.

Any CMs with actual reasons?

Uncle Dick
06-27-2002, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
2) saves them a bundle on air conditioning costs. When they DID ouse the lines (especially Indy), it was ALWAYS a confortable temperature in there. That's a huge building that holds a lot of people. It must have been costing them a fortune to cool that thing.
There are so many other areas where Disney is wasteful with A/C (Animation building, Pirates, Splash, etc.) that I don't think the savings based on a few extra bodies left out of a building are significant. If Disney was really concerned with saving money on air conditioning, they'd install more doors.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-27-2002, 07:37 AM
The beautifully themed queueing areas for Indy, Roger Rabbit, and Star Tours were all designed in an era when (1) somebody realized that if you entertained the people while they were waiting, it wouldn't seem so long a wait (that was presumably the theory behind co-opting CircleVision as a queueing area for Rocket Rods, and the goofy TV in the Space Mountain queue), and (2) FastPass hadn't been invented yet. So to keep the FastPass queue short and fast-moving, and still use the queueing areas as intended, they would have to extensively re-engineer them (especially RR), which would cost money.

Ghoulish Delight
06-27-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
The beautifully themed queueing areas for Indy, Roger Rabbit, and Star Tours were all designed in an era when (1) somebody realized that if you entertained the people while they were waiting, it wouldn't seem so long a wait (that was presumably the theory behind co-opting CircleVision as a queueing area for Rocket Rods, and the goofy TV in the Space Mountain queue), and (2) FastPass hadn't been invented yet. So to keep the FastPass queue short and fast-moving, and still use the queueing areas as intended, they would have to extensively re-engineer them (especially RR), which would cost money. But I really don't think that's true, especially Roger Rabbit. When you enter the door for RR, to the right is the bulk of the queue withall of the temeing. To the right is nothing but a bunch of switch backs. All they would have to do is remove a couple of the switch back railings on the left, send the FPers that way and the stand-by line to the right through the old queue area and voila, problem solved. With Indy, the FP insertion point used to be just before the projection room. The FP wait was still short, and the queue was still used. Star Tours is the only one I can think of that has no real alternative. But then again, it's been years since Star Tours has had a line long enough to fill the queue area, let alone warrant FP, so it's ridicuolus that it has a FP to begin with.

Uncle Dick
06-27-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
With Indy, the FP insertion point used to be just before the projection room. The FP wait was still short, and the queue was still used.
The FP insertion point on the interior of the Indy queue is still used only on very busy days because it requires two extra CMs to staff (one to separate FP from standby just before the film room, and one to remerge them just after the film room).

You're totally right about Roger Rabbit, though. There's no reason to keep the crowds standing out in the hot (and unshaded) Toontown sun while the beautiful queue inside sits unappreciated. The only conceivable reason for the current setup is that some FP holders complained that they couldn't see all of the queue elements which provide a very nice "preshow" for the attraction.

Star Tours completely baffles me. FP holders could easily be sent up the right hand side of the queue and the tickets taken by the CM at the turnstiles. It would even reduce the need to use the (air conditioned) supplimental queue beneath the Starspeeder mural. Just wait til I'm running things at the parks… ;)

Techie7
06-27-2002, 08:18 AM
I don't think fastpasses have to be able to enjoy the themeing of the queue. As it is how many people stop and look at the themeing that have fastpasses (a small minority of which I belong to). Think about single rider... people do not go through the themed queue (splash mtn this is nice). In WDW I know that single rider does not go through the test track queue (which also is very nice). I think people should be happy to get fastpasses and those that choose to wait around in staqndby should get theming in the queue. Makes sense to me :)

Ghoulish Delight
06-27-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Star Tours completely baffles me. FP holders could easily be sent up the right hand side of the queue and the tickets taken by the CM at the turnstiles. It would even reduce the need to use the (air conditioned) supplimental queue beneath the Starspeeder mural. Just wait til I'm running things at the parks… ;) Duh, that's right. I forgot that ST has a divided queue inside. Again, mostly because it's been years since it's warranted a double queue. They really need to get a new film in there if they ever expect it to attact anything over a 15 minute wait again.

Matterhorn Fan
06-27-2002, 03:24 PM
About Roger Rabbit--it is possible that they realized how claustrophobic the queue is and that's why they hold the line outside? It doesn't bother me when I'm walking through it quickly, but I definitely would not want to stand around in there for very long (in fact, I got out of line a couple weeks ago when I realized how far back into the queue the line went).

But maybe in the summer it's better to be in that narrow and dark space smushed close to people you don't know than to stand around outside getting yet another sunburn. :confused:

innerSpaceman
06-27-2002, 04:06 PM
Ok, but I will never get why they let a crowd for Indy back up into the narrow walkway of Adventureland when they have that really cool, outdoor switchback area in front of the Temple (that hasn't been used in years) which can serve as a sort of pre-theme pre-queue to the mile-long themed queue.

No air conditioning required!

Rallymonkey23
06-27-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
You're totally right about Roger Rabbit, though. There's no reason to keep the crowds standing out in the hot (and unshaded) Toontown sun while the beautiful queue inside sits unappreciated.

Oh yes there is........

1 soda/water...... $2.50

disguy
06-27-2002, 04:50 PM
Last time I was there (in april) they were using that area and also in Nov.

Disney Nick
06-27-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Ok, but I will never get why they let a crowd for Indy back up into the narrow walkway of Adventureland when they have that really cool, outdoor switchback area in front of the Temple (that hasn't been used in years) which can serve as a sort of pre-theme pre-queue to the mile-long themed queue.

This area has been used every time I've been there in the last year. Maybe they don't use it on non-peak times, but I can't figure out why?? :confused:

socabch
06-27-2002, 07:03 PM
The Splash Mtn queue is the one I can't figure. Why did they stop using the area that winds you around between the rocks and garden. From there you could watch the people come down the last hill. Does anyone remember when this was last used?

Uncle Dick
06-27-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by socabch
The Splash Mtn queue is the one I can't figure. Why did they stop using the area that winds you around between the rocks and garden. From there you could watch the people come down the last hill. Does anyone remember when this was last used?
As near as I can tell, Splash Mountain uses the same queue it always has which does, at least partially, spend some time near the front of the mountain. Once the new Fastpass distribution area is completed, the queue will probably start out in front of the mountain again and wind its way around the right side following the old, pre-Fastpass layout.

Nigel2
06-27-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
About Roger Rabbit--it is possible that they realized how claustrophobic the queue is and that's why they hold the line outside? It doesn't bother me when I'm walking through it quickly, but I definitely would not want to stand around in there for very long (in fact, I got out of line a couple weeks ago when I realized how far back into the queue the line went).

But maybe in the summer it's better to be in that narrow and dark space smushed close to people you don't know than to stand around outside getting yet another sunburn. :confused:

That is also one of the possible reasons they don't let the temple fill up for indy (plus it was never comforatble and cool in the first few rooms when they were full of tourists.) That and also the ratio of FP to SB that they let in also keeps the inside line down as well.

PhilMP
06-28-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23

Oh yes there is........

1 soda/water...... $2.50

Soda=2.75
Water=2.50

However, there's no ODV carts near the Roger Rabbit. There's an Ice Cream cart across the fountain near the entrance, and an slushie cart right next to it, both a little far for someone to walk over while they're in line to buy a soda. The only other ODV thing that sells soda/water is over by Gadget's Go Coaster.

Besides, considering how much Attractions management detests ODV, I find it unlikely they'd get rid of an entire queue just for us, or the rest of Foods, in fact, to sell more beverages.

Phil

coronamouseman
06-28-2002, 06:26 AM
In my opinion, only concern of any importance for Disney in the case of the ride queues is that they want to make sure that FP guests do not wait any longer than the advertised 10 or so minutes. Imagine the uproar and bad publicity if FP guests began to report 20 minute wait times using FP - would make that "bonus" feature worthless and make Disney look bad for marketing a feature that didn't deliver.

Current strategy of holding customes outside of queues is simply the result of all the different policies which Disney has implemented over the past few years - FP and standby queue lines and handicapped, baby swap and single rider entrance through the exits have all made the original queuing area obsolete on many rides. So while all of these "programs" remain in place, Disney will do whatever is necessary, despite how stupid or ridiculous it might seem to the guests in line, to ensure FP guests and the other "special issues" guests that they receive their due.

What will be really interesting is to see how new attractions handle these issues and how queues for those rides will be built. Hey, maybe that's what all the talk about making updates for Disneyland's 50th Birthday is - simply update the queues for FP

mousey_girl
06-28-2002, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

Are you talking about the little area between the outside of Indy and JC? It is covered with trees, nice and shady? If so we used it in Dec. We had gotten a FP for it, and then decided to see how long the line actually was and ended p being qued there only to pretty much have to jog thru the inside que area. By the time we had ridden and back outside the FP's were due. Since we didn't want to go on it again we gave the FP's to some other guests.