PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Tips & Tricks

CaptainTom
07-05-2007, 04:55 PM
hey, just thought that this would be a good time to find out if anyone knows of any good tips and tricks in regards to holiday time in DL and DCA seeing as halloween and christmas are just around the corner.

Foodie
07-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I have never seen a busier day than New Year's Eve, so if you hate large crowds, avoid that day at all costs!

-Foodie :)

Jenlan2001
07-06-2007, 07:39 AM
We always go the week right after Thanksgiving. It's great...getting a little more crowded as the years go by, but still a great time to be there - if you don't mind the Parks closing earlier than usual.

Do not miss Santa's Reindeer Roundup at Big Thunder Ranch. Entertainment, characters walking around, SANTA, cookie decorating, arts/crafts, and tables and benches. A great place to take a load off and the theming is fantastic.

You will see lots of great holiday stuff and the peppermint mochas go very well with the giant snickerdoodle cookies!

Have fun!

ssturgeo
07-06-2007, 10:35 AM
We always go the week after Veterans Day...holiday decorations go up that Friday....we miss the Christmas parade (it does not start until the Friday after Veterans Day), but have seen it before. Low crowds that week, last two years the weather has been GREAT...short sleeves!

Gingerbread Man from the Blue Ribbon Bakery is a must!!

Dickens carolers strolling and singing down Main Street.

Snow after the fireworks on Main Street, New Orleans Square and Small World Mall

Candy Cane's made at the Candy Palace
Fresh candy canes are made on Fridays during the holiday season and as soon as they are done they go on sale at the counter inside. One batch makes about 50 canes….they sell out quickly to anyone who is there. That is why a crowd gathers to watch AND to buy!!

and candy cane fudge from the broken pieces (this you can get at most of the resort candy stores)

Haunted Mansion overlay
Look each year to see what the gingerbread house looks like that is sitting on the dining room table. Notice the different wrapping paper styles in the attic…one is patterned after Sally’s dress.

and Small World Overlay

In Story Book Land Christmas trees, lights, etc., are added to the miniature
scenes

DCA

Sunshine Plaza becomes “Santa’s Beach Blast”. Santa the surfer greets guests near a Woody wagon sleigh, and the area is filled with seaside-style holiday decorations.

Be sure to stroll through the resort hotels and see the decorations, trees, etc.

It is a magical time to visit!!

And, thanks to another poster last year, here is a list of the holiday treats available:

Holiday Treats

Gingerbread Men Cookies - Blue Ribbon Bakery, Baker's Field Bakery, Pacific Wharf Café

Snowman Short Bread - Blue Ribbon Bakery, Baker's Field Bakery, Pacific Wharf Café

Pumpkin Bread (mini loaf) - Blue Ribbon Bakery, Baker's Field Bakery, Pacific Wharf Café

Cranberry-Orange Bread (mini loaf) - Blue Ribbon Bakery, Baker's Field Bakery, Pacific Wharf Café

Holiday Biscotti - Blue Ribbon Bakery, Baker's Field Bakery, Pacific Wharf Café

Snowflake Crispy - Main St. Fruit Cart, Refreshment Corner, Bengal BBQ, Tropical Imports, Critter Country Country Fruit Cart, Harbour Galley, Hungry Bear Restaurant, The Golden Horseshoe, Royal Street Veranda, Fantasyland Fruit Cart, Village Haus, Clarabelle's Frozen Yougurt, Daisy'd Diner, Pluto's Dog House, Tomorrowland Terrace, Redd Rockett's Pizza Port, DL ODV, DCA ODV, Award Wieners, Schmoozies, Taste Pilots' Grill, Farmers Market Fruit Cart, Burger Invasion, Corn Dog Castle, Strips Dips and Chips, DLH Coffee House, Whitewater Snacks, Surfside Lounge

Holiday Brownie - Blue Ribbon Bakery, Tomorrowland Terrace, Redd Rockett's Pizza Port, Baker's Field Bakery, Award Wieners, Tase Pilots' Grill, DLH Coffee House, Whitewater Snacks, Surfside Lounge

Holiday Tres Leches Cake - Rancho Del Zocalo, Cocina Cucamonga

Brownie Holiday Funnel Cake With Sprinkles - Hungry Bear Restaurant, Stage Door Café, Mint Julep Bar,

Holiday Fritters With Dipping Sauce - Mint Julep Bar, Royal Street Veranda

Holiday Breads - Boudin Bakery Bread Cart, Pacific Wharf Café

Eggnog Latte - Blue Ribbon Bakery, Carnation Café, Mint Julep Bar, Royal Street Veranda, Baker's Field Bakery

Peppermint Mocha - Blue Ribbon Bakery, Mint Julep Bar, Royal Street Veranda, Baker's Field Bakery

Spiced Caramel Apple Cider - Blue Ribbon Bakery, Carnation Café, Mint Julep Bar, Baker's Field Bakery

Eggnog - Blue Ribbon Bakery, Mint Julep Bar, Royal Street Veranda, Baker's Field Bakery

Coffee - Critter Country Fruit Cart

Hot Cocoa - Critter Country Fruit Cart

Hot Mug - Blue Ribbon Bakery, Critter Country Fruit Cart, Mint Julep Bar, Royal Street Veranda, DL ODV, DCA ODV, Baker's Field Bakery

Peppermint Ice Cream - Gibson Girl, The Golden Horseshoe, Bur r rbank Ice Cream

Crushed Candy Cane Premium Cone * - Gibson Girl, The Golden Horseshoe, Bur r rbank Ice Cream

* W/Frozen Yogurt – Clarabelle’s and Catch A Flave

Chritsmas Tree Confetti Premium Cone* - Gibson Girl, The Golden Horseshoe, Bur r rbank Ice Cream

*W/Frozen Yogurt - Gibson Girl, The Golden Horseshoe, Bur r rbank Ice Cream

Peppermint Holiday Sundae - Clarabelle's Frozen Yogurt

Sliced To Order Yule Log - Plaza Inn

Haley's Holiday Pizza - Redd Rocket's Pizza Port

Yule-Tide Pizza - Pizza Oom Mow Mow

Seasonal Pot Pie and Shepherd’s Pie – Carnation Cafe

Fresh Candy Canes – Candy Palace

Candy Cane fudge – if you like the dark fudge go to Pooh Corner

Hot cocoa, coffee, milk - Reindeer Roundup

Hot Buttered Rums - The Grand Californian.

Snowman Carmel apples – Candy Palace and Pooh’s Corner

BLUE RIBBON BAKERY –
All of the drinks are made to order, there is no latte mix!

Peppermint flavoring is a syrup and can be added to any drink…just ask!

oregontraveler
07-06-2007, 12:13 PM
I went Thanksgiving week in 2004 (Mon-Weds only) Crowds are light and holiday hours are in full effect, open 'til midnight. I don't think I waited more than an hour standby for attractions. It worked for me.

yohomama212
07-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Oh My! You having me drooling and getting all excited now! I LOVE Christmas and now that I have an AP I can enjoy all the DL Christmas I want! Ohhhh! Candy Canes! Eggnog Lattes! Gingerbread Men! Peppermint Mochas! I become a kid at Christmas! This is all too exciting! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks about Christmas in the Summer!

Elizabeth

The Evil Queen
07-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Snow after the fireworks on Main Street, New Orleans Square and Small World Mall

We've been many times in October and I've missed the snow! There's snow? When? Where? Going again either the 10/9-12 or 10/16-19 and I don't want to miss the snow...

Fill me in, please! I wanna see the snow!

disneyperson
07-06-2007, 12:54 PM
We've been many times in October and I've missed the snow! There's snow? When? Where? Going again either the 10/9-12 or 10/16-19 and I don't want to miss the snow...

Fill me in, please! I wanna see the snow!

Although I agree that Halloween is the most important holiday of the year.;) it only snows in Dl for Christmas, as far as I know.

KarenW2
07-06-2007, 03:19 PM
The Christmas-time tamales and the sweet cream cheese-filled soft pretzels - YUMMY!!:D

disneyperson
07-06-2007, 03:21 PM
The Christmas-time tamales and the sweet cream cheese-filled soft pretzels - YUMMY!!:D
Cream cheees pretzles? How did I miss those? Yum.

crazi4dlr
07-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Although I agree that Halloween is the most important holiday of the year.;)

If not the most fun one.....

crazi4dlr
07-06-2007, 03:23 PM

Okay give....where are these to be found? I need to have tamales at Christmas, must have my tamale fix....drool

Malcon10t
07-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Okay give....where are these to be found? I need to have tamales at Christmas, must have my tamale fix....droolThey can usually be found by the Red Corndog Wagon and by the Mark Twain loading area in Frontierland.

Mermaid
07-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I did the Holiday Tour a few years ago and it was soooo fun! I highly recommend it!

Mermaid
07-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Oh yeah, and Toontown is awesome during the holidays! Look above the store fronts for some great sight gags! It is the little stuff that makes DL so awesome!

Niwel
07-07-2007, 07:11 AM
I did the Holiday Tour a few years ago and it was soooo fun! I highly recommend it!

I second that -- I've gone every year for the past few years and I love it!!! (and I'm of the Chanukah persuasion). :)