PDA

View Full Version : Am I being selfish?

MissYvonne
06-26-2002, 07:08 PM
Hi gang..
Okay, so my fiance has a 5 y/o daughter who has never been to Disneyland. We have been together since she was 3 and I've been bugging him for us to take her. Being a So Cal kid born and raised, of course Disneyland means the world to me and I've been going at least once a year since I was too young to remember (and I'm about to turn 39!!!)....(He went once as a teen when he first immigrated and wasn't that impressed, and has never been back, thats why he hasn't bothered).

Now, her mamma and I can't stand each other, and she's never bothered to take my stepdaughter 'cause she's too lazy. NOW I hear she's got family coming out from Europe or something in the next few weeks and they have all kinds of plans.

When I heard that I hit the roof, terror in my heart that these "strangers" are gonna take our girl with them to Disneyland!!!!!!!!! No! No! No!! It HAS to be us (errr, okay, me!)

So, we are going on Saturday. And, I'm having absolute guilts about it. NOT because I'm trying to beat the ex to the punch, (she's an indifferent Mom and I'm more a Mom to the kid)...but because in my anxiousness we are going on one of THE worst days (Saturday)....during the worst holiday weeks (pre 4th of July)...
is this a recipe for disaster? I am used to going during the slow months to avoid crowds..haven't done a busy summer season in YEARS. I'm nervous. I'm pictureing stampeding, crushing crowds all day. My guy isn't the most patient person in the world.

Can I do this??? Should I??

I need some enouraging words here, guys. I can't sleep for excitement. I haven't been this excited to go since I was a kid. I sit at my desk at work and picture our little girl seeing Sleeping Beauty castle for the first time.....hugging Mickey...wowing at the wonder of the Pirates of the Caribbean..and I get all choked up and teary eyed!! I imagine only this crowd understands what I mean when I share this.

I keep doubting my wisdom in going at this time. But then, when I pictures these...strangers taking her instead.....my stomach turns. No, no, no. It has to be me!!

I read all the threads on how to do the fast pass thing, how to arrive early...plus I know the park like the back of my hand. I know I can do this. But will going this time of year ruin it for them? Will it be that bad?

Please say it aint so!!
help!

Gemini Cricket
06-26-2002, 07:14 PM
I say take her and don't feel guilty about it.

The crowds are part of the fun. It's added anticipation before getting on a ride. The wait is also a good time to bond with the little one. :)

Have fun. Don't think about anything negative. Don't set yourself up for a bad time. Just have fun. In fact, have a blast.
:)

mousey_girl
06-26-2002, 07:17 PM
Don't go with an agenda. Don't make any advance plans about what you want to see and do, that way if you can't do something you won't be disappointed.

MammaSilva
06-26-2002, 07:30 PM
she is 5? there are only 2 important areas for her....Fantasyland...walking over the drawbridge into the world of princesses and fun.... get there when the park opens! do not wait an hour or two or you'll spend the whole day miserable.....we were there this past weekend and it was crowded but doable.....toon town doesn't open for an hour or so after the park opens so you can go down main street hit fantasyland then go over to toon town......if that is all you do with her for her first trip it will set her memories forever and ensure she is a Disneyfan for life :)

teri
06-26-2002, 10:14 PM
If the crowds are overwhelming and it gets to be too much, go over to DCA, see Muppets 3-D and It's Tough to Be a Bug, ride on the rides over there. She will have a blast, and so will you. :)

outlaw8
06-27-2002, 09:27 AM
I would like to interject one thing here...
Talk with your man BEFORE you go and explain to him about the possibility of the crowds. Let him know that no matter what you BOTH keep a positive attitude and a Happy face on for the girl. Nothing is worse than to see your parental units argueing about heat,crowds or anything for that matter. Especially in DL!! I hate to say it but I have some of those memories but I have tried to block out the bad for the good..
If he gets overwhelmed or tired sit him down in some shady corner and tell him you'll pick him up in an hour or two.:)
I do this for my wife:) I'm a buzzsaw at DL..I want to see it all and soak it all in!!
Above all have FUN and relax for your in The Happiest Place on Earth!!!

RideMax Mark
06-27-2002, 10:59 AM
OK, I've got TWO five-year old daughters myself, and I couldn't resist making a RideMax plan for Saturday.* As you can see, you should be able to ride quite a bit with minimal waiting if you arrive early and do things in the "right" order.

I have to echo what mammasilva says, though: for this to work, you have to get there EARLY. Even showing up an hour late could cost you a lot of waiting as the day goes on.

I wasn't sure if your daughter would want to go on Matterhorn or Splash, since one of my five-year-olds LOVES these, and the other one is scared to death of them. I included them in the sample, though.

Whether you use the "plan" or not -- have a great trip. I should be in FL Saturday morning myself, so maybe I'll see you there!

(BTW, don't expect the above URL to be available past this weekend!)

[* Moderator's note: URL promoting member's product removed to comply with community policies regarding advertising. For more information about this particular ride plan, contact the member privately; otherwise visit his Web site via the link provided in his signature. -- Lani]

AliKzam
06-27-2002, 11:24 AM
I agree with mammasilva, too. If you don't have an agenda, you won't be upset about not getting certain rides in. Kind of like being bummed about the Christmas presents you didn't get after they're all opened.
Besides, one of the coolest things about Disneyland is, the more times you go, the more things you discover! Like a good movie with lots of details.

Marty
06-27-2002, 11:26 AM
I just have to say this:

I hate to see you taking your step-daughter to Disney just to beat out the competition. I know that you want to experience her first time in the park. But it also sounds like you really don’t want to visit on such an obviously busy day. Please don’t make this a contest, because contests like this simply can’t be won. Even if biological Mom is an indifferent parent, it is still important that she have times like these with her daughter.

Ultimately, it isn’t important who goes with your step-daughter the first time. When she looks back at her childhood as an adult, she is going to associate Disney with the person (or persons) who imbued in her a love of the place - the person who taught her to appreciate all the little things that Disneyland has to offer. From where I sit, I think that person is going to be you. And I also think that is going to happen whether you are there on her first stroll down Main Street or not.

Shannon
06-27-2002, 11:30 AM
Ride Max. That was very interesting. I have a 9 year old and 12 year old and will be there Wed-Fri to both Disneyland and DCA. Will you do a plan for me or is there a charge for this service? Thanks. I'd like to include shows though and don't see that on the schedule.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-27-2002, 11:40 AM
I don't have any kids (and unless an attractive geekette comes along to fill the void in this aging geek's heart, I don't have any immediate prospects for same),

B U T :

Even though I'm a premium passholder, and can go to DL and DCA any time I want, every year I still spend the entire day in the park on what is often THE busiest day of the year, as well as one of the hottest, and one of the worst for sunburn hazards (July 4th), and I spend the entire evening in the park on what is often THE busiest evening of the year (December 31).

Yes, it's crowded. But FastPass mitigates this, to a certain extent, and not everything is equally crowded (Innoventions is a good place to beat both the heat and the crowds, and Star Tours usually doesn't have too big of a crowd any more, even on crowded days), and if the crowds get to you, and you have park-hopping privileges, you can go over to DCA.

Mburk
06-27-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Marty
I just have to say this:

I hate to see you taking your step-daughter to Disney just to beat out the competition. I know that you want to experience her first time in the park. But it also sounds like you really don’t want to visit on such an obviously busy day. Please don’t make this a contest, because contests like this simply can’t be won.

Marty, you are a man of great insight. Well said! I agree with your point entirely.
MissYvonne, the only thing that matters is making the day fun for the girl. Don't let her read your stress. Just have fun!

stinkerbell
06-27-2002, 12:52 PM
Oh my gosh!!! I am with you. I can't imagine anyone but me taking the children I love to Disneyland. Especially the first visit! Especially since she's five and ready to enjoy, participate, absorb and love it all. I don't think you're being selfish. It's a natural Disney-lovers reaction to such a threat. ;)

Please enjoy the day. Get there early. Enjoy Fantasyland as much as you can early in the day. Spend a lot of time in Main Street at the end of the day. Pure magic there! I know it'll be a long long (hot) day for a five year old, but I hope you're able to see the fireworks or something with her. Watch a parade. Get a Mickey ears hat. Get a squished penny. Buy a Splash Mtn. photo. Eat a Dole whip at the Tiki Room. Share a churro. Ride the Mark Twain. True Disneyland experiences.

Enjoy!

lotsafuzz
06-27-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by teri
If the crowds are overwhelming and it gets to be too much, go over to DCA, see Muppets 3-D and It's Tough to Be a Bug, ride on the rides over there. She will have a blast, and so will you. :)

I totally agree w/ the idea of moving over to DCA in the afternoon.

However, while I *love* It's Tough to Be a Bug it *may* be a little intense for a five year old. Some of the younger folks in the crowd had a tough time with the effects. On our third visit to the Bug show there was a family with some 5-6 year olds. I suggested that they let their kids know that if they got spooked they should take off their glasses and they thanked me on the way out (one made it through with no problem, the other little one got a bit spooked).

teri
06-27-2002, 04:02 PM
Actually, if the SO is bothered by the crowds, then moving over to DCA could be done sooner rather than later, especially if they go very early. Like 10:30, maybe! Keep it light, stressless and happy. Besides, he can have wine with lunch at DCA. :)

ITTBAB can be scary, that is true... but then again, that is a good chance to show a child that you will protect them and not let any real harm come to them. :) Nice opportunity for building trust.

MissYvonne
06-27-2002, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging words!!

RideMaxMark, I'm heading over to your link next...thanks so much for the advice!! Yeah, we live in Thousand Oaks so we are heading out before 6 to get there in time. I figure about what and hour drive plus 30-40 minutes to get parked and to the gate? (We already got our tickets on the base). What time should I arrive? I'm thinknig around 7?

Stinkerbell, yes! yes!! You get me! You totally understand how I feel!! No, Marty, I realize this isn't a competition...but rather an opportunity I can not miss. Disneyland is too special to me for her to go with people who won't understand sobbing during the fireworks, or the importance of screaming after "No windows...and no doors..." in Haunted Mansion and Daddy is the one who needs to hold on to her tight on the Dumbo ride, and help her steer her way though Mr Toad.

Sage advice, Outlaw 8 about discussing patience and forwarning my guy in advance.

I'm a natural worry-wort, and you guys have made me feel a lot better.

I'm going to get there early, relax, follow RideMax Mark's plan as I can, and just enjoy the day.

thanks guys!! I'll check in and let you guys all know how it went.