PDA

View Full Version : Disney Gallery closing; Fantasmic Balcony viewing ends July 31st.

Pages : [1] 2 3

AVP
07-04-2007, 01:52 PM
I've gotten some info from a variety of sources, and while I can't pin down all the details, it looks certain that the Disney Gallery is closing as soon as the end of July. The last date for the Fantasmic Balcony viewing is definitely July 31st, and there are not more than one or two seats available each show for any date.

There have been so many rumors about the possible uses for the Gallery, and I'm interested to see how the competing departments have carved up the available space. We'll post more in the Park Update as details become available.

AVP

DorisZ
07-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm sad to see the Gallery go :crying:. Hopefully there will be a place to get prints in the future.

I wondered because I called at 8 am today to make my Fantasmic reservations and they told me only the riverfront was available--I was happy to get that. I just figured someone got through before me to get the balcony seating.

Thanks for the info.

Foodie
07-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Oh, this is so sad! I love going up there and looking at the art...Hopefully they'll put something nice there to make up for it...

-Foodie :crying:

10-97
07-04-2007, 02:48 PM
I remember going to the Disney Gallery a few weeks after in opened in 1987. I'm really going to miss it.

disneyperson
07-04-2007, 02:57 PM
We've always loved the Gallery! Dangit!

tod
07-04-2007, 03:13 PM
I. May. Vomit.

--t

futurecm21
07-04-2007, 03:44 PM
I. May. Vomit.

--t

Me too, well not exactly, but like most other closures, it sickens me. This is about how I did, and still do feel about the takeover of TSI.:crying::(:mad::(:(

olegc
07-04-2007, 03:47 PM
hmmm - seems like other departments in the park are taking leads from Marketing and the pirate-izing efforts. Grab what you can to use for your own projects...

another item lost at DLR that provided a unique experience - different from any other theme park out there.

As an avid collector of Disney art and images (not just trinkets and t-shirts) it was the one place I could see some quality art pieces in a quiter setting than Disneyana (have you ever had the growing din from the Markethouse invade Disneyana? ).

I know - they should create an observation area where guests can watch others eat at Club 33 and the diners can point and laugh at those agog over entering this private locale.

Or - maybe they'll just open another Plush or Hat store... :crying:

KarenW2
07-04-2007, 04:21 PM
We both always enjoyed the Disney Gallery over the years, but haven't been there as often lately, due to problems with having to wait for a CM to take us up & then back down, in the elevator, since I'm in a wheelchair these days.

I hope they do find some venue for the exhibits and things that they used to put in there. It was also really nice to get up there and relax, away from the hustle and bustle of the busy park downstairs.

We're sad to see the Gallery go and join the ranks of the other things in Yesterland. :(

oregontraveler
07-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Oh, this is so sad! I love going up there and looking at the art...Hopefully they'll put something nice there to make up for it...

-Foodie :crying:

Not to burst your bubble but it's more likely to become extra room for Club 33
or office space. Pretty sure it won't be accessible to the general public anymore. I could be wrong though.

Foodie
07-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah...I googled it after reading this the first time and apparently the rumor has been going on for a while that it's gonna be built into a private hotel room, like the one they built in the castle in WDW. Who knows for sure though?! I'm still so bummed...:crying:

-Foodie

VWCat
07-04-2007, 05:52 PM
:crying:never got to see it:rolleyes:that sucks

magicpointeshoe
07-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I always loved going up there at least once each trip. Part of why I enjoyed it so much was seeing the artwork, and usually there was a display of conceptual artwork for some piece of the park. But being a starving student, I never even thought about buying anything from there.

The other main part of why I enjoyed the gallery was just looking at the details of the building. Knowing that it was meant to be Walt's newer apartment just was cool to walk through. Unlike the apartment above the firehouse that I never got to go in, nor the office that we had to look at behind glass at great moments... this was different. Walking around in it, not on a tour was and is cool. I'm sad to see that the gallery is closing.

And, if oregontraveler is correct, wouldn't guests of the club have to walk through the kitchen to get there or am I not recalling the layout correctly?

Leslie21
07-04-2007, 06:15 PM
:crying: I loved the disney gallery. I'm going to try to go one more time before they close it. :(

seanutbutter
07-04-2007, 06:50 PM
No! :crying: I never was able to go there.

John
07-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Time to visit the florist.

D15
07-04-2007, 09:28 PM
A great big :crying: for this news. What a shame, we love the Gallery! And never got to try F! Balcony seating either... drat. :(

Niwel
07-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Not cool. I love the Gallery! :crying:

Mr.Abominable
07-04-2007, 10:34 PM
On another site, I read a CM rumor that they were going to make it into a version of the Cinderella Castle suite like WDW. Obviously not Cinderella themed but some type of in park room for the Year of a Million Dreams promotion that has apparantly been extended through 2008. I hope they use it to expand Club 33 and that is why we all got those letters a while back.

- keeping my fingers crossed - :)

I am very sad to see it go and I hope they move the gallery to another location since it is one of our favorite places to visit.

JamesDL
07-05-2007, 01:27 AM
If they turned it into a hotel, who would be the type of people that stay there? I'm sure not your average folk.

RStar
07-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Someone should let Werner know so he can get some pictures for Yesterland :(.

It will be sad to not be able to go up there and walk around in the second apartment Walt built. Though it wasn't completed before his death, he still worked on it and it was close to being done.

I've heard that Club 33 has already taken some of the space to epand the kitchen. If they move the kitchen back more, they may be able to make more dining space. Then they may be able to add more memberships. At the prices the get for memberships and food, it may very well be the most profitable part of the park per square foot! :eek: And incidentally, I wonder why the cancelled the breakfast there for the NCCS club? Are these two things related?

codewoman
07-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Wow, I feel fortunate to have reservations on the 23rd!

Mrs Mouse
07-05-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm kicking myself that I didn't make reservations for our trip next week. I knew I was going to regret it. :(

MelissaR
07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
OK so due to this news :crying: I just booked balcony ressies for the 15th. I was shocked that there were seats left and bought four of them for the 10:30 showing. We have never done it before and my husband loves Fantasmic. It was one of those things we always thought about but said we would do it the next time. I am glad we have a trip planned so that we can see the gallery one last time and experience the balcony at least once.

For those who have done balcony for the 10:30 show, is it best to be there and check in at the end of the first showing?

bloodnswash
07-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I've also heard about the Suite. A big bummer to me. Glad I got some nice photos from the Balcony on our May 5 trip. Our last picture taken up there was of my husband kissing me. :) Glad I did the Balcony for Fantasmic the several times that I did.