PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland in the Summer is Crazy

evrythngwmn
07-04-2007, 08:33 AM
I like this topic.

How interesting this should come up as a topic. I was just remarking last night that I will never go to WDW again in the summer. (Being local Disneyland is a day trip.) Between the heat and the crowds it was horrible.

As to when the busiest time of year is at DLR, it has to be Christmas. Having worked at DLR going on six years now hands down it is the most crowded. The Summer season (offerings and hours) is three months long. Christmas offerings though, only go on for about a month. Everyone jams in (the last two weeks of the year in particular) during that time frame to see the Christmas offerings. Gate closures happen regularly.

Malcon10t
07-04-2007, 08:57 AM
I go both times of the year. Christmas is the busier time, BUT, the summer with the heat is much harder, the crowds get angrier and are not as friendly. We still go though, we just try and be the friendly ones.

cfitz/pirates
07-04-2007, 05:06 PM
I love going in the summer, sure its busy but everything is running so there is always somthing to see. 9 more days yeah.:fez:

JamesDL
07-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I like going the week that school returns (in aug/sept). Very empty and enjoyable.

E-ORLover
07-04-2007, 05:22 PM
My personal favorite time to go is Labor day week. Just after "summer" crowd, but you still get the warmth and almost always all attractions are still up.

But now I have two boys who are in school (my DH refuses to allow us to pull them out of school) so we're suck going when crowds are high. To me it's better going at that time then not going at all. I am so excited about our up coming trip (our boys don't know yet) it's a surprise.

Malcon10t
07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Looking at the tickers, there are a lot of us going that week!

BraMax
07-04-2007, 06:00 PM
We are going for the first time in the summer we will be there July 18-25. We've gone in December and Febuary when it is slower so it will be weird to be there when it's really busy. Oh well like most of you I would rather be there when it's busy than not at all. And our boys don't know yet either it's a surprise for them aswell :p

kiki
07-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Being a local, I have experienced summer, the off season and christmas, and I would have to say that I love the summer better. Not only is everything open( also during christmas) but there is just an energy there that I cant really explain. Maybe its from all the tourist that flock to southern cali during the summer. Christmas time is fun and the decorations are beautiful( and super crowded), but I love summer at Disneyland.

nvmom
07-05-2007, 08:15 AM
We've went in the off season, Feb and into the first 2 weeks of March. I'd like to try summer sometime... but I'm not sure I'd talk my dh into given the crowds & the heat. I do think it would be fun to enjoy the late hrs, the warm nights, water rides, etc.

nvmom

E-ORLover
07-05-2007, 08:31 AM
WOW, there are quite a few of us going that week in July. I leave for vacation in 8 days, but start our Disney vacation on the 18th-22

Mrs Mouse
07-05-2007, 09:29 AM
The only time I've ever been to DL is in the summer. I've been in early July and once in late August. I really enjoy it, but perhaps that's because I don't know any better! The biggest perks, to me at least, for going in the summer are the late hours and the fact that everything is open.

That being said, I would like to experience it at least once in the cooler off-season, and definitely at Christmas time. Speaking of Christmas, for those of you who have been - which is busier, around Christmas or during the summer?

Like someone else said, a crowded trip to Disneyland is better than no trip to Disneyland!

kiki
07-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Speaking of Christmas, for those of you who have been - which is busier, around Christmas or during the summer?

Christmas is so much more busier. Just imagine the entire 3 months of summer packed into the month and a half of Christmas.

Leofoenget
07-05-2007, 03:12 PM
The only time I've ever been to DL is in the summer. I've been in early July and once in late August. I really enjoy it, but perhaps that's because I don't know any better! The biggest perks, to me at least, for going in the summer are the late hours and the fact that everything is open.

That being said, I would like to experience it at least once in the cooler off-season, and definitely at Christmas time. Speaking of Christmas, for those of you who have been - which is busier, around Christmas or during the summer?

Like someone else said, a crowded trip to Disneyland is better than no trip to Disneyland!

I have to disagree. Ok I can maybe handle some crowds but once you add heat into the mix forget it. I would rather have NO trip to DL if it means crowds & HEAT.

the heat my GOD the HEAT!!

jdee
07-06-2007, 04:44 AM
I think the best way to enjoy DLR anytime of the year is to be prepared for the weather. In the winter take rain gear to stay dry, in the summer take hats, spray bottles, sun screen, etc. And as Malcon10t said, "just try and be the friendly ones".

ShirleyFilms
07-06-2007, 09:36 AM
So. If one DOES want to experience all the Christmas decorations and stuff... when is the best time to see all of that... while getting the least amount of crowds?

Leofoenget
07-06-2007, 01:43 PM
So. If one DOES want to experience all the Christmas decorations and stuff... when is the best time to see all of that... while getting the least amount of crowds?

Right after Thanksgiving and everyone goes home+ first 2 weeks of December mid week of course. Friday-Sunday it's crowded as always. My friend went like the 6th of December on a Wednesday and it was totally dead. Rembmber there is a tradeoff as there are also no Fantasmic or Fireworks so it depends on what you are wanting to see. I think the BEST way to do it is go mid week Weds, Thurs to enjoy the lack of crowds but do plan on one Friday to see
Fan&Fire.

californiagirlx7
07-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Okay since nobody answered me in the "How busy will the parks be?" thread, I'll ask here. Does anyone know how the crowds will be on August 6-7?
It's a Monday & tuesday.

Mermaid
07-06-2007, 11:52 PM
I would guess pretty busy because it is still summer crowds but the fact that it is in the week should help some. AZ schools go back the 13th for the most part so I would go then if at all possible!