PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou Questions

bag3lbit3s
07-03-2007, 09:52 AM
So I just made reservations today for July 30 for me and my girlfriend's 1 year anniversary and I have a few questions about it.

1. What is good on the menu?
2. What should I stay away from on the menu?
3. Do they do anything special for events? Because the lady I made the reservation with asked what I was celebrating and I told them it was our 1 year anniversary. But I didn't think about asking if they do anything till now.
4. Roughly how long will we have to wait to get in even with reservations? I haven't been there for over 10 years.

Thanks.

disneychick
07-03-2007, 10:32 AM
In spite of all the negative things we had read about BB, we made a reservation for our trip last November - it was our first time back at DL in years. We did have a nice time - the atmosphere is great! - but don't have plans to go back again on our trip in December (except for just dessert, perhaps). Overall, we found the food kind of "meh", and the service lacking for the price that we paid for the meal. The dessert was really the best part of the whole experiece - our family shared the Flying Dutchman cookie boat, which was more than enough to share and comes with a cool pastillage (sugar dough - technically edible but not at all tasty!) mast and flag which we still have as a souvenir. I've also heard great things about the Tortuga Creme Brulee.....the reason why we MAY go back for dessert on our upcoming trip! (plus, then we get the pastillage treasure chest to add to our collection!)

I personally wouldn't touch a Monte Cristo sandwich if you paid me - but other people love them! I think what to eat/avoid will be a somewhat personal thing as everyone's tastes vary so much.

We had a reservation, and were seated waterside within 5 minutes of checking in. I think it will depend on when your reservation is for - we ate earlier in the day and it wasn't too busy - closer to a normal dinnertime and I've heard that waits can still be 20 minutes or more (sometimes longer if you're holding out for waterside). I have read where some people make their reservation for 30 minutes earlier than they actually want to eat, so they're sitting down at the time they wanted to rather than later.

bag3lbit3s
07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I won't eat a Monte Cristo again after having one from the Orleans Cafe. I had terrible indigestion the rest of the day. I did what you recommended. I planned my reservation at 5:40 because I would actually like to eat at about 6:30ish. Also I had to change the date from the 30th to the 21st because I just realized I'm leaving to Florida the 24th and will be gone the 30th.

Thanks for the information.

nmjohnston874
07-03-2007, 02:35 PM
After having a terrible experience last October, we decided to try again this May since reviews I read were mostly positive. We were pleasantly surprised. The May visit was everything the October wasn't. Food and service were excellent. My daughter said her prime rib was the best she's had. I had a bite and had to agree. DS and I had the jambalaya and my dw the chicken. I agree with Disneychick -- don't try to eat the sail and mast of the cookie boat. The rest is very yummy, however.

bag3lbit3s
07-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I've been hearing good reviews about the prime rib. We'll see what we might do. We might share something, which we usually do when we go out, then do desert.

And for the sails and mast I think it's the same thing they used to make the ghosts during halloween time on some of the cakes at the French Market. Didn't taste good at all. :p Thanks for the warning.

Rkkm
07-03-2007, 05:37 PM
We have been eating in BB since it opened and have never had a bad experience, service or food. The servers have always been polite, friendly and competent. And, I might add, infinitely patient, what with all the kids scampering about and folks wanting to have pictures taken.

Have you told the phone reservation folks that this is a special occasion? If not, call them back and have them note it on your reservation. Then, when you arrive at the check-in window, tell 'em again. And, tell your server, as well. I know that birthdays are honored at BB, so I imagine that a romantic celebration such as yours should be, as well.

Went as recently as last Thursday (the 29th) with a 2:30 p.m. reservation for four. We waited five minutes for a waterside table. If this is a special occasion, I strongly recommend waterside, no matter how long the wait. If privacy is something you'd like, there is a table next to the kitchen, waterside, where they put celebs who don't want to be bothered.

The food tends toward spicy as this is a creole-oriented restaurant with a sophisticated menu (for the adults - kids have mac and cheese). I don't think some BB first-timers know this and, thus, are disappointed not to have more of a wide-ranging menu. I adore the Monte Cristo, so that is what I order during lunch .. it is not available after 4 p.m. I am also partial to the mint juleps. I also like their vegetables, especially the asparagus and spinach sides.
The desserts are fun .. but the sail on the cookie boat tastes like plastic!

You are going to have a magical time! BB is so romantic! Enjoy! And don't forget to give us a trip report!

cirquelover
07-03-2007, 09:43 PM
We love the prime rib! Now that you get two choices of sides I always ask for double Blue Bayou Potatoes. Those things are to die for, seriously. They were so good I ahd to get the recipe to make at home. Of course they are not as good as they would be while sitting in the BB but close enough!
My husband loves the salad with the carmelized pecans, yum!

Glass Slipper
07-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I have never eaten at the Blue Bayou, but I'm getting quite tempted by this "cookie boat" that everyone is talking about! Is it true that we can use priority seating at this restaurant just for dessert? If so, I may have to check into that. We'll be there Oct. 1st, so I will begin calling Disney Dining at the first part of August.

disneynut
07-03-2007, 10:44 PM
The cookie boat is wonderful. And yes, do the PS even if you are just having dessert. Do they do walk-ups anymore? I was wondering since we haven't tried to do walk up since they reopened the restaurant last year.

Clotho
07-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I think we need to define "sophisticated" because that is *not* how I would describe Blue Bayou's menu. From everything I have read, people's disappointment with the menu is believing it WOULD be more sophisticated, well prepared, and just plain yummy, but it wasn't. Complaints also range in the area having to do with expecting the service to match the excellent atmosphere, but the service has been lacking for most, as well. It's not a matter of it being too sophisticated--it's a matter of expectations being high, and delivery low.

And I agree with those posts. I love the atmosphere, and go back anytime I can for that alone. But I have only ONCE eaten a dish I found truly delicious, and it was something my husband ordered that was a special that week--not a regular menu item. *sigh*

Rkkm
07-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Blue Bayou's menu is definitely considered "sophisticated" cuisine .. it is defined so by the California School of Culinary Arts which offers the Cordon Bleu program and uses the BB chef as a guest lecturer. As those lucky enough to attend the Disney Wine and Food Celebration evening know, the BB and other Disney chefs create food that is viewed as art, as well as tummy-filling. This is different from the chains such as Ruth Chris' or Outback Steakhouse or Benehana's.

mariezp
07-04-2007, 02:40 PM
So I just made reservations today for July 30 for me and my girlfriend's 1 year anniversary and I have a few questions about it.

1. What is good on the menu?
2. What should I stay away from on the menu?
3. Do they do anything special for events? Because the lady I made the reservation with asked what I was celebrating and I told them it was our 1 year anniversary. But I didn't think about asking if they do anything till now.
4. Roughly how long will we have to wait to get in even with reservations? I haven't been there for over 10 years.

Thanks.

1. I love the Monte Cristo. The prime rib is very good too. The best part is the creme brulee. Mmmmm!
2. Never had anything bad.
3. I am pretty sure we had a couple sitting next to us last year that were celebrating their anniversary and were treated to a dessert.
3. With reservations we have always gotten seated within 30 minutes. That time was the longest wait only because we requested a water side table. IMHO we were not terribly impressed with a waterside table. We were seated behind crates or a pole, I don't remember exactly, but something obstructed our view. Also, guests on the boats were quite rude.
However, even though we don't care whether we sit water side, BB is still a must do on our list. It should be a great place to celebrate your anniversary!
BTW, congrads! :D

iridemyownmc
07-05-2007, 08:33 AM
My fiancee and I are having lunch on monday, 7/09 at BB. We made our PS in early June:) It was his idea to do this, I didn't even realize there was a restaurant there (it's been 10+ years since my last visit to DLR). So, ever since we made our PS I've been checking out the reviews and pics on the dis board, and now I'm super excited:D

Clotho
07-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Blue Bayou's menu is definitely considered "sophisticated" cuisine .. it is defined so by the California School of Culinary Arts which offers the Cordon Bleu program and uses the BB chef as a guest lecturer. As those lucky enough to attend the Disney Wine and Food Celebration evening know, the BB and other Disney chefs create food that is viewed as art, as well as tummy-filling. This is different from the chains such as Ruth Chris' or Outback Steakhouse or Benehana's.

I didn't realize "sophisticated" was an official designation! LOL Thanks for the heads-up!

I definitely find the desserts to be artful, but never found the food to be. I can't just be there on a bad day every time, can I?

disneychick
07-05-2007, 12:30 PM
My take on the quality of the food is that it was on par with most banquet food - good? Sure. Outstanding? No. Even the way it is plated and presented is more on par with a typical wedding banquet than a fine restaurant, IMO.

Given that (barring alcohol) I can spend a similar amount of money and enjoy a meal at Napa Rose, I would choose Napa Rose every time. BB is all about the atmosphere to me, which does mean I will visit from time to time (albeit just for dessert from now on, as I mentioned), but won't shell out the big bucks for its fairly nondescript food.