PDA

View Full Version : Is Mulholland Madness fun or lame?

Pages : [1] 2

Gymgirl975
06-26-2002, 07:17 AM
I've never been to DCA, but we are going in a few weeks. I heard that MM was really fun, but I downloaded the video from disneyland.com and it just seemed you go from one side to the other. Is it fun? What's it like? Is there a theme at all for the ride or do you just go around one curve and then another? Thanks!

mad4mky
06-26-2002, 07:25 AM
I find it lame. Other will disagree though (my younger kids like it though...:rolleyes:).

PinkFloyd
06-26-2002, 07:30 AM
It is a good ride with a fastpass/no wait, but I wouldn't waste your time in line for it.

Ghoulish Delight
06-26-2002, 07:32 AM
I personally LOVE it, one of my favorite rides in the park. Probably not worth more than a 15 minute wait (it's a short ride), but I really enjoy it.

Others hate it. Only way you'll find out is to try it!

disguy
06-26-2002, 08:12 AM
Don't ride if you have a bad back, that's for sure!
I think it's lame. It's the same design at any other park who has a wild mouse coaster except this one has dumb wooden cutouts.

heidiwhr
06-26-2002, 08:22 AM
I think it's a "cute" ride, but not a major attraction. It's just like a mini roller coaster you find at the state fair. Here's a hint - go in the single rider line and you will get right on. It's definitely not worth waiting for.

stan4d_steph
06-26-2002, 08:27 AM
I found it to be painful. I got bruises from being thrown from side to side.

merlinjones
06-26-2002, 08:29 AM
Lame. Jerky, painful, non-thrilling, extremely ugly.

justagrrl
06-26-2002, 08:47 AM
painful

one decent dip...

the rest I found disappointing.

been on it once and that was plenty.

7 year old daughter thought it was great.

MonorailMan
06-26-2002, 09:26 AM
I love it!

The big drop still gets to me! It's fun! :)

Lani
06-26-2002, 09:50 AM
Mulholland Madness:

- Not bad, but
- Not really special (even with the theme it's not all that much better than other mad mouse rides)
- Too short
- NOT worth a wait of more than 10 minutes.

Ghoulish Delight
06-26-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by lani
Mulholland Madness:

- Not bad, but
- Not really special (even with the theme it's not all that much better than other mad mouse rides)
- Too short
- NOT worth a wait of more than 10 minutes. And what's so special about King Arthur's Carrousel (err, when it's not just a rotting pole in the ground)? Or the railroad (okay, maybe the Grand Canyon, but a lot of people, including myself, enjoy the entire thing, Grand Canyon or no)? Or Dumbo? These are all standard contraptions, nothing special in the amusement park world. But that doesn't mean they aren't fun. Heck, that's why they are standard, because they ARE fun. Certainly they would never be put up there with the breakthrough, innovative, knock your socks off unique attractions like Indy, Mansion, etc. But there is still a place for them. I like the theming of MM (though perhaps they could have done a LITTLE more). The vehicles are cute. I mean, how much less themed is it than the carrousel? That just has a bunch of murals on it. Woohoo. But they are both amusement park staples that have their place, IMO.

Of course, I can see how it could hurt someone. I guess I'm lucky in that I'm no small fry, but I'm apparantly built right that that ride doesn't injure me like it seems to other people.

disneynut
06-26-2002, 10:36 AM
My 4 y/o loves this ride. I've never been on it because it looks a little too scary for my blood. But my son and husband hit it on every trip.

hefferdude
06-26-2002, 10:47 AM
Rode this same thing ( Wild Mouse ) at Seaside
Heights N.J. in the early 60's. It was on the end
of the pier out over the water which made it a little
exciting. The drop is good for a little tickle. But the
side to side action could auger anybody with a loose lower lumbar. It fits the PP theme though.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-26-2002, 11:42 AM
First of all, the Disneyland Railroad is not a "standard amusement park contraption." Most "standard amusement park" railroads don't have real steam locomotives. While two of the four locomotives (the original two) on the DRR were purpose-built for DL, the other two are actual narrow gauge locomotives that were slightly modified. The only other park I've been in that pulls its trains with retired narrow-gauge steam is Knott's.

Second of all, King Arthur's Carousel exists because Walt was first inspired to build Disneyland while sitting on a park bench, eating peanuts, and watching his daughters on a merry-go-round. It was extensively modified because Walt wanted horses and only horses, and wanted all of them to go up and down, and wanted it to have a medieval theme to fit in with the overall theme of Fantasyland.

On the other hand, Mulholland Mistake is a simple, off-the-shelf, "Wild Mouse" rollercoaster. No Disney park has ever had a naked, off-the-shelf rollercoaster before, and even "Gadget's Go-Coaster" is better-themed. It is unworthy of a Disney park. If people want to ride an off-the-shelf "Wild Mouse," I believe one can be found in Adventure City, on the grounds of Hobby City. In DCA, as Mulholland Mistake, it simply takes up space that could be better used to expand Bay Area, and offer any one of the cable car themed attractions that have been suggested in this forum.

Uncle Dick
06-26-2002, 12:02 PM
Worst attraction at the Disneyland Resort. Even "Cosmic Waves" is better than this. Not only is it an eyesore, but it's also very painful and contains little or no thrill.

MickeyD
06-26-2002, 01:08 PM
I love MM! But I wouldn't wait longer than 20 minutes for it.

TheMur
06-26-2002, 01:31 PM
Strong opions everywhere (I guess that is to be expected!)

I enjoy it (as long as the line is short) The Santa Cruz Boardwalk used to have one and I loved it as a kid. My 11 and 14 year old think it is lots of fun (went on it numerous times last trip)

Every attraction at DLR cannot be groundbreaking. Like the growth of DL, many of the lesser interesting "off-the-shelf" rides may find their way to Yesterland or at least the DCA equivalent over time.

Like all attractions, if you don't like you don't have to spend your time on it. For the time-being, since my kids like it, I'd rather go on it with them and experience their joy and excitement!

Mur

9oldmen
06-26-2002, 02:41 PM
Well, one "good" thing about the ride is that , like just about everything else in PP, you can learn almost everything about it just as a spectator. It's not a mysterious dark ride, hidden inside of a show building (like the dark rides in Fantasyland, you know, the ones rubbing elbows with Dumbo, the Carrousell "post" and the Teacups), so you can pretty much make up your mind about it just by looking at it, without waiting in any line.

mousey_girl
06-26-2002, 07:33 PM
I was able to ride it once. It was a fun ride. There were 2 reasons I only rode it once:

1) My back still bothers me from a car accident and even though it didn't "hurt" me, I could feel a twinge in my shoulder that told me not to go on it again.

2) I wanted to make sure we had good seats for DEP.

The Boy and the man I sometimes claim as The Hubby proceeded to go in it 2 more times consecutivly after I left. They loved it, and since it wasn't busy the CM's didn't make them get off the 2nd time.

The nice thing with this ride is the foam pad they put on the lap bar for smaller riders, it means a small child can ride with a larger parent without worry (unlike BTMR)

teri
06-26-2002, 10:10 PM
I have arthritis... I was done in on this trip by my first ride on Mulholland Madness. It was my 5th time at DCA an the first time that the attraction was actually open. I had done fine on the other coasters and thought I would be OK here as well, because my neck wasn't hurting this month... by the time I got off my C4-C5 and T8-T9 were both twinging, and I had muscle spasms in my back.

My own fault... the sign says not to ride if you have back or neck problems... but this was rougher than necessary on the turns, and I thought my back and neck were doing OK.

PineapplePrincess
06-26-2002, 10:21 PM
:)
I like it, but I wouldn't wait more then 10 min for it.

coronamouseman
06-27-2002, 02:46 AM
(1) Not worth the wait through the regular standby line

(2) Barely worth the wait in the single rider line or with FP (though seems like a bad way to use an FP that could be held for Screamin)

(3) Seemed OK to me regarding smoothness of ride

(4) Perfect example of why Disneyland is famous for rides like Peter Pan and Toad as opposed to just another midway/carny ride kind of place

(5) Should have built it indoors with black light effects (kind of a parody of RnR Coaster almost) with Hollywood scenes and maybe one point where it exits outside on the top (for the fright value of hurtling toward the edge of the precipice)

Ghoulish Delight
06-27-2002, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by 9oldmen
Well, one "good" thing about the ride is that , like just about everything else in PP, you can learn almost everything about it just as a spectator. It's not a mysterious dark ride, hidden inside of a show building (like the dark rides in Fantasyland, you know, the ones rubbing elbows with Dumbo, the Carrousell "post" and the Teacups), so you can pretty much make up your mind about it just by looking at it, without waiting in any line. Not necessarily true. On my first trip to DCA it was closed. I took one look at it and thought "well, at least a GOOD attraction wasn't closed." Months later, once I got my 2-park AP, and it was open, I figured I might as well ride it, just to get it over with, expecting the worst. But, as I said, I love it. So looks can be deceiving.

Maybe the real factor here is that it's the first and only mouse coaster I've ever ridden. Maybe, had I grown up going to other parks and been on a bunch of mouse coasters I wouldn't be as interested, but I grew up going to Disneyland, Magic Mountain, and Universal, none of which had one. So it's a first for me, and I enjoy it.

80S ERA
06-27-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
....These are all standard contraptions, nothing special in the amusement park world. But that doesn't mean they aren't fun. Heck, that's why they are standard, because they ARE fun. Certainly they would never be put up there with the breakthrough, innovative, knock your socks off unique attractions like Indy, Mansion, etc. But there is still a place for them.
This is a good point. However, I think the main point being made by many is that MM (as well as the others you've named) is not worth waiting for.