PDA

View Full Version : Where are the new Handicapped spots in Downtown Disney?

motomickey
07-02-2007, 10:28 AM
I read this in the update today, was at DTD yesterday, but did not see any new spots?

"Construction has finished in the Downtown Disney parking lot, and a new row of handicapped spaces—including more van-accessible spots—has been added."

Darkbeer
07-02-2007, 11:24 AM
They are located just next to the Valet Drop Off/Pick Up area on the North end. This area used to just offer standard parking, but now offers Van accessable Handicapped parking.

Here is a photo

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/3086490/4/168579854/Large

kelli1rose
07-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I noticed the new handicap spots at DTS because there were new ramps out of the parking lot onto the sidewalk, which made it much easier to roll my stroller out of the parking lot.:)

Darkbeer -- you are amazing with all of your photos! Thanks!:cool:

motomickey
07-04-2007, 01:08 PM
that was nice of them to do--there are very few as it is, any little bit helps!:)

RStar
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks DB! I also heard that part of this was because they are expanding DtD. I wasn't sure if they were moving the Handicap parking, or adding because of increased traffic. I also heard that they may be looking into a parking structure if some type to expand DtD even more in the future. I don't remember where, and as usual all information is subject to change or to be only rumor.......

AVP
07-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks DB! I also heard that part of this was because they are expanding DtD. I believe they had to do it now that they are using the Lilo lot as self parking on a weekly, if not daily, basis. The number of accessible spaces required is based on the total number of the spaces in a lot, and if the Lilo lot was not taken into consideration when the accessible spaces were originally created (and it's likely that it was not, since it was not regularly used as self park until after DTD opened), they would now need to add accessible spaces to offset the number of spaces in the Lilo lot.

Now if I could just get the stupid grocery store down the street to realize that one accessible space on the SIDE of the building AWAY from the main entrance does NOT make up for the three spaces they removed last year during their remodel.

AVP

Mermaid
07-07-2007, 12:38 AM
ahhhh that makes sense AVP! It is nice they added some anyway!