PDA

View Full Version : What behavior is acceptable in line?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

neverlander
06-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Okay, I gotcha to open the thread, didn't I?
What I mean is, what is okay and what is annoying when others around you are passing time? For example, I get annoyed when hearing others yell personal conversations into their cell phones as if there's no one else around.
However, my girls (who are very close in age) were just practicing their "Miss Mary Mack" hand slapping rhyme. That is something that I would allow them to practice in a line at DL, but not at a restaurant. Would this annoy you?
I believe that this is a productive way for six and seven yr olds to pass time, but would you want to yell, "Shut up already?!!"
Just trying to get a consenses, as this is big with my children right now and I don't want to lose perspective in my enthusiasm of their development.
(Although I would allow it to a certain extent, regardless...)

HobbitFeet
06-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Having been quite a fan of such hand-clapping routines myself at one time, BUT having become quite annoyed at repetition as of late (I have a 3 year old boy, must I say more on that? LOL)....if I were the Rule Maker standing next to you in line, I would probably ask that the girls do the hand routine, but withOUT the rhymes being said out loud.

Just my opinion. :)

You know what's sad? No one teaches those routines to boys. :( And I've forgotten them (even the naughty ones we repeated in glee...like the alternate version of say say oh playmate...).

Hey, maybe others will remember and we can pick it all up again at my 20 year reunion this summer. :) And then I will teach my boy.

OK back to you. :cool:

tinksmom
06-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Okay, I gotcha to open the thread, didn't I?
What I mean is, what is okay and what is annoying when others around you are passing time? For example, I get annoyed when hearing others yell personal conversations into their cell phones as if there's no one else around.
However, my girls (who are very close in age) were just practicing their "Miss Mary Mack" hand slapping rhyme. That is something that I would allow them to practice in a line at DL, but not at a restaurant. Would this annoy you?
I believe that this is a productive way for six and seven yr olds to pass time, but would you want to yell, "Shut up already?!!"
Just trying to get a consenses, as this is big with my children right now and I don't want to lose perspective in my enthusiasm of their development.
(Although I would allow it to a certain extent, regardless...)

Actually, I am usually happy to hear kids play rhyming games. . .but Miss Mary Mack is just too obnoxious for words. . .

anniedg
06-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Honestly, I think they should "Mary Mack" to their hearts content -- after hearing obscenities on more occasions than virtually anyone would like to hear at DL, I can't believe people would actually object to young girls' rhymes. What I don't have patience with is people that don't have patience with good kids having a good time in a harmless way :p

VickiC
06-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Actually I heard two boys in line the other day doing "Lemonade, crunchy ice" so some boys know them.

Maybe they have sisters? I just finished working a week of Girl Scout Day camp and feel like I have heard every ryhme and every repeat song WAAYYYY too many times.

If it looks like my girls are annoying others I make them stop, even if I think whatever they are doing is harmless.

kiki
06-30-2007, 08:22 PM
I always go with my cousins who are now 14, 11,10,8,and 5, all of which are girls. I would rather have them play a hand game(as long long as their not too loud) to pass the time than yelling and cutting in front of people like some kids do . I say let them play cause there is a lot worse that they can do.

Mermaid
06-30-2007, 08:31 PM
As a second grade teacher with bus duty I hear these in my sleep! "Lemonade" is a popular one and some other one that is escaping me right now where they go "I'm not sorry, you better be sorry!" I would let them play it (I think they are cute) but if the line is really long or people seem annoyed have them stop or change it up! I would also look at the type of line, something like Peter Pan may not work as well as say, Pirates because the switchbacks are pretty tight. I have seen kids do much much worse in line and I think most people wouldn't care!

Oh and hobbitfeet, when I was looking for the name of the "sorry" one I found this sight with the words to many of the chants! http://www.beachnet.com/~jeanettem/chants.html

Inkyprintz
06-30-2007, 08:33 PM
I've only gone to a Disney park with a child once - a 6 year old. This was in the pre-fastpass days too. I found a card game based on 21 questions. In long lines I'd have him pick a card. He'd have to try to guess the Disney character or movie based on the 21 statements I'd read. It made the time go faster and other kids would join in so it was fun.

The rhyming songs wouldn't bother me but I agree that the cell yell is annoying. I've also been in a number of ride lines with kids rough-housing. You know, shoving each other, taking turns trying to stomp on each other's feet, etc. This inevitably results in kids crashing into others or holding up the line. When I was a kid, I'd often go to theme parks with my cousins and I'm sure we were not the best behaved! (It was all them - I was innocent. Ahem...) My grandfather came up with a ploy to keep us in line- he appealed to our sense of greed! When ever we went anywhere, he'd give us each a roll of dimes or quarters, depending on the situation. Starting with the car drive, each time we got out of hand the offending child had to give up quarters or dimes - one coin for small offenses; up to a dollar for a repeat offenders! At the end of the day or at the end of the trip, we got to spend what ever was left in our roll of quarters on whatever we wanted, no questions asked! We'd usually forfeit a few quarters in the beginning then start thinking twice before hitting each other or acting out! Hey -we could buy a lot of candy and junky toys for a few bucks back in the 70's!

3duckgirl3
06-30-2007, 09:35 PM
When I went with my high school show choir (sheesh, ages ago!) we would amuse ourselves in line by adopting ridiculous accents and playing out increasingly dramatic scenarios, from unplanned pregnancies to imaginary friends. Sigh. I'm sure we thought we were hysterical, but I pity those who were subjected to us.

adriennek
06-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Unacceptable to me: Playing on the queue 'fences' - kids who sit on them, do gymnastics on them, etc.

Adrienne

hlbtimes2
06-30-2007, 09:44 PM
I think the key is just being curteous to those in line around you. You should be able to tell if the kids are bothering them or not. In one line, it might be perfectly ok. In another it might really bug the people near you. Play it by ear.

MontanaKC
06-30-2007, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't mind that at all. In fact, it would probably make me smile. A lot. I will be at Disneyland on July 5th and 6th and hope I run into more kids like that.

Foodie
06-30-2007, 09:53 PM
I've always found it interesting that people get annoyed when kids are being kids at a park that is designed for kids. As long as they're not rough-housing or stopping up the lines, I'd say pretty much anything goes. I think they should be limited to how loud they can be, but as long as they're within reason, let them have fun! I've always thought it was us grownups who needed to learn to go with the flow! Of course, I don't have kids of my own, so maybe parents feel differently. That's just my two cents worth...

-Foodie :)

GusMan
06-30-2007, 09:58 PM
My take: anything that is repeated over and over and over again can get flat out annoying. Im not sure there is any other way around it.

Malcon10t
06-30-2007, 10:12 PM
I don't have a problem with it myself. My kids play various games in line. We are usually in the HA line, so they move excruciatingly slow. They play "Speed" or practice karate forms.

MickeyDogMom
07-01-2007, 12:00 AM
I don't have a problem with it myself. My kids play various games in line. We are usually in the HA line, so they move excruciatingly slow. They play "Speed" or practice karate forms.

What she forgot to mention is her 'kids' are 21, 20, 18, 17... when we "play" it can get a bit 'rough' but we avoid annoying people in lines at all costs. We will be storming DL with karate kids (and adults) this July. I'd be wary. :eek:

IMO: If kids are jumping, screaming, and being just a general nuisance it kills me internally. You can usually tell when people are annoyed though, dirty looks, eye rolls, the finger, etc., are all clues to if you are ticking off the people around you. Read your environment and react accordingly.

neverlander
07-01-2007, 05:32 AM
If I ever suspect we're bothering others, I would most definitely ask them to stop. Though my girls know they need to use quiet voices in public, they also realize that the repetition gets to be too much for me sometimes! It's interesting to hear about other people's threshholds.
I agree that this is a benign behavior in comparison to the others listed. The pushing, shoving and climbing that typically goes on is difficult to deal with because personal space is inevitably invaded. But songs, rhmymes, games... any kind of somewhat stationary activity brings a smile to my face when I see families interacting with and enjoying each other.
Thanks for weighing in.

backsthepack
07-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Don't flame me, and this is not meant to offend......BUT!!....whatever happened to kids just standing in line being patient and behaving? We have an 8 year old. We have been taking him since he was 1.5. He doesn't do anything in line. He just stands there and moves when the line moves. He might take a small trinket toy with him that he has purchased, but otherwise, he is quiet and well behaved. He knows his manners and how to act while in line. He knows when he can be rowdy and when he can't.

limace
07-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Don't flame me, and this is not meant to offend......BUT!!....whatever happened to kids just standing in line being patient and behaving? We have an 8 year old. We have been taking him since he was 1.5. He doesn't do anything in line. He just stands there and moves when the line moves. He might take a small trinket toy with him that he has purchased, but otherwise, he is quiet and well behaved. He knows his manners and how to act while in line. He knows when he can be rowdy and when he can't.

I think some kids find this easier than others-and I do think it's great for kids to do something positive and fun while they are in line. I think the handclapping is fine, as long as you keep your sense finely tuned for annoyance vibes around you.

I hate the cel phone yell. And I have to say my husband is the worst offender-he has a loud voice anyway and shouts into the phone. Fortunately, he is almost never on it-he'd never sit in a restaurant or stand in line while on the phone (so the rest of you don't have to worry). I have to admit that I hate to see kids on Gameboys or anyone listening to iPods while at DL, though I know it's completely irrational. I am a total techy and love my iPod almost as much as I love my family :p but just feel that you are missing out on the magic if you are plugged in while at DL. (It also drives me nuts when friends' kids bring their gameboys when we go camping-it seems to defeat camping's entire purpose).

And Neverlander-I liked your original thread title better :D

jory29
07-01-2007, 07:50 AM
I think some kids find this easier than others-:D

I think Limace has a valid point... although many children have no problems standing in line, quietly viewing their surroundings, and moving appropriately with the line when the line moves, there are some children who would fare better with some distraction, such as conversation or word games. Also, one child can generally stand in line more patiently than if you have more than 1 child. 2 or more kids together can be a bit more hard on the kids, in some ways, such as when waiting in a lineup. We tend to take in our surroundings when waiting in line... we live in Alberta, Canada, far away, and it is such a magical place for us that we hold dear to our hearts, [as does any mouseplanet poster, of course!!], that simply being there is the biggest treat in the world to us, and of course, we all know that anticipation of the event [the ride] is all part of the fun.

I think for me, the concern of having the children saying rhyming word verses is that the verse might get 'stuck in my head,' :eek: :D , and maybe even for the day! Once I get a song going through my head, sometimes it just kind of stays there, LOL. I have no problem with the original poster's kids doing this though, but I'm wondering if a word game, or numbers game, or I spy game, or 20 questions might be better for those around so as not to be so repetitive.

Malcon10t
07-01-2007, 08:20 AM
I think Limace has a valid point... although many children have no problems standing in line, quietly viewing their surroundings, and moving appropriately with the line when the line moves, there are some children who would fare better with some distraction, such as conversation or word games. Also, one child can generally stand in line more patiently than if you have more than 1 child. 2 or more kids together can be a bit more hard on the kids, in some ways, such as when waiting in a lineup.I agree. I have 4 that are within 5 years of each other. Being a single mom, lines weren't bad at Disneyland. 3 of mine had no problem with lines, 1 did need a LOT of distractions. The regular lines weren't bad, but when we had to start using the non-moving HA lines, bored became a major issue. Usually, you will find my kids waiting with iPods on and books in hand.

I think hand games and rhyming games shouldn't be an issue. Now, the ones climbing on the gates/trees/fences, pushing and shoving, and invading our space, that bothers me.

adriennek
07-01-2007, 08:53 AM
My kid never just stands anywhere and does ANYTHING quietly. LOL. My middle boy does. But the oldest is constantly talking or singing or doing SOMETHING.

In 10 years of being on Disneyland message boards, I've found that there are kids like my #2 and kids like my #1. And parents who have #2s don't always appreciate that #1s don't come from bad parenting, they just are what they are. This is NOT a flame nor a personal attack. It's just an observation. Oh, and it's something I did a lot before I had #1 and before he started talking and walking :D

But what's important to note: "standing in line patiently" is not the only way to stand in line while "not bothering other people". My boys don't and if they do, they don't get to stand in line. In fact, we've been known to take away rides from at least one of my children for part of or all of the day. I don't make idle threats (If you don't behave, we're going home!) but I make threats I can keep! (If you don't behave, you and I will sit out of this ride/these rides/rides for the rest of the day.)

Oh - here's something I've encountered that I find totally unacceptable:

Bubbles and spray bottles in line.

Oh wait - I bring bubbles in line. ;) But we only use them when we're on the edge of a line and can blow them away from people OR when we've asked the people around us if they mind bubbles. We were in line for Dumbo when one of mine was an infant in the Bjorn and a woman was spraying her family with a water bottle. She decided to do the rest of us a favor and just start spraying everyone around her. Exceptional Mother Mary and I were already trying to shield the baby from all of this when she came after us. Mary just looked at her and said "NO, we have a baby here and we really don't want to be wet."

Adrienne

neverlander
07-01-2007, 08:56 AM
I respect your view, and I'm sure you're very proud of your son. I have to say that I do often scratch my head when I observe parents with more liberal rules of behavior than I institute. However, even my own expectations change with various situations. For example, if we were going out to the movies, I would expect my daughters to wait in line patiently with their hands to themselves. Into our fourth, fifth, or even sixth day at DL, I can empathize that they may be getting a little stir crazy. Instead of sticking to the stringent rules we usually employ, I look around, observe the mayhem, and tell myself that at least they're not climbing on the railings, stomping through the flowers, fighting, etc.

And Neverlander-I liked your original thread title better :D
(Me too, but actually I was glad that it was changed. I was a bit embarassed and learned that you cannot edit titles. Oops.)

Also, one child can generally stand in line more patiently than if you have more than 1 child. 2 or more kids together can be a bit more hard on the kids, in some ways, such as when waiting in a lineup...

..I think for me, the concern of having the children saying rhyming word verses is that the verse might get 'stuck in my head,' :eek: :D , and maybe even for the day! Once I get a song going through my head, sometimes it just kind of stays there, LOL. I have no problem with the original poster's kids doing this though, but I'm wondering if a word game, or numbers game, or I spy game, or 20 questions might be better for those around so as not to be so repetitive.
Boy, don't I know the difference of one kid vs. two! When I'm one-on-one with our daughters, they're like little adults. Get them together, and well, they're kids! (Thank goodness.)
Yes, I woke up with Mary Mack still in my head. My girls know that I mean it when I ask for a break from that song! I'll definitely be sensitive to those around us and keep my annoyance radar in tune.
We really do love soaking up the whole atmosphere at DL. We played 'I Spy' a lot last year, and we really don't ever get too bored waiting in lines. (Besides, there's always some cell phone user ready to share intimate details of their life with us;))
I appreciate hearing others' perspectives. Thanks again.

Malcon10t
07-01-2007, 09:16 AM
My kid never just stands anywhere and does ANYTHING quietly. LOL. My middle boy does. But the oldest is constantly talking or singing or doing SOMETHING.

In 10 years of being on Disneyland message boards, I've found that there are kids like my #2 and kids like my #1. And parents who have #2s don't always appreciate that #1s don't come from bad parenting, they just are what they are. Don't I know it! My #1, 2 (MickeyDogMom), and 4 were calm, quiet, and easy to monitor. Then there's #3. He is the poster child for ADHD. Standing still is not an option. Instead of preventing movement, we had to learn to channel the energy. I too was one who thought the movers were just poor parenting. But #3 taught me differently.

Now the ones who are climbing the trees in Fantasyland, and over the fences to the ROA, that is a different story....

tod
07-01-2007, 10:03 AM

Yes, very much.

I would be particularly vexed by a parental unit blithely standing by, indulgently smiling as their spawn were obnoxiously yelling and slapping hands.

I probably wouldn't do anything but scowl, but i wouldn't like it, not one bit.

--t

Wondering how many people are unclear on the concept that Disneyland was built as a place where families could have fun together: it is not a place "built for kids" where they can misbehave to their hearts' content and the rest of us have to put up with it