PDA

View Full Version : How cheap can I hope to get Disneyland Hotel per night off season?

abookworm
06-29-2007, 11:40 PM
We are looking at going the 1st or 2nd week of Dec 2007. We've only stayed at HoJo before and it was nice but we thought the DL Hotel might be fun with the great kids pool area and we could spend 1 day there and at downtown disney. I checked on expedia today and it was $245 (2 adults, 3 kids) which seemed high to me for that time frame.
Is this what I should expect or is there a trick to getting a better rate?
thanks!

Burnt Toast
06-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Um. Rack rate at the DLH is around $245 a night (I think, it was $225 when I worked there a few years ago so I'm pretty sure it's a little bit higher now). Probably won't be any discounts or special rates until the summer ends, if there are any to be.

mariezp
06-30-2007, 04:16 AM
That's a good rate for 5 people. In my opinion, your question is rather cheap. Staying at the Disneyland Hotel is an experience, a place where dreams come true. Asking if you can shave a few bucks off of $252 for 5 people (which isn't bad) just cheapens the experience. Shame on you. Chuck...

Come on! Give a guy a break! There is certainly nothing wrong with trying to get the best rate out there! I do believe the question was to see if anyone might know where to look for the very best rate possible. Perhaps someone else has some tips. I don't think I ever came up with a price any less.

I personally have not yet decided that a "Disney Hotel Experience" would be worth $250 a night. We generally stay 10 nights in 2 rooms so it would add up to quite an expensive trip! Since we don't spend much time in our room I'd rather spend the extra on souvineers & meals and stay in the HoJo or something similar.

neverlander
06-30-2007, 06:13 AM
That's a good rate for 5 people. In my opinion, your question is rather cheap. Staying at the Disneyland Hotel is an experience, a place where dreams come true. Asking if you can shave a few bucks off of $252 for 5 people (which isn't bad) just cheapens the experience. Shame on you. Chuck...
A book worm, I believe you have every right to pose such a question on a board that typically provides helpful and supportive answers by its members. I'm sorry you were chastised for seeking advice.
I think the resort typically offers fall specials around the end of summer, though I'm not sure how long they run. You may consider waiting until August to see what comes up. Heck, would a free night cheapen the experience? I think not!

kikid
06-30-2007, 06:14 AM
check GetAway Today...sometime their rates beat other sites, and they offer tkts at a discounted price. I've also found very good deals on Disney's website...believe it or not! Happy Hunting, and have fun!:)

snoopyfan
06-30-2007, 06:27 AM
A book worm, I believe you have every right to pose such a question on a board that typically provides helpful and supportive answers by its members. I'm sorry you were chastised for seeking advice.
I think the resort typically offers fall specials around the end of summer, though I'm not sure how long they run. You may consider waiting until August to see what comes up. Heck, would a free night cheapen the experience? I think not!

Ditto. I've been cruising these message boards for years and I've heard of people getting great discounts on DL hotels. I never have and $245 is a lot of money to me, too, so I would keep looking and checking these boards and Mousesavers.com. Subscribe to her newsletter. Good luck!

Malcon10t
06-30-2007, 06:50 AM
That's a good rate for 5 people. In my opinion, your question is rather cheap. Staying at the Disneyland Hotel is an experience, a place where dreams come true. Asking if you can shave a few bucks off of $252 for 5 people (which isn't bad) just cheapens the experience. Shame on you. Chuck...Not in a supportive mood, huh?

A book worm, check getawaytoday.com. Its $253, but includes the taxes, and when that is 15% ($37 a day), that is a big savings. I don't think you will be seeing any big savings that week. If you have AAA, you can save 10%.

adriennek
06-30-2007, 08:19 AM
I personally have not yet decided that a "Disney Hotel Experience" would be worth $250 a night.

I have decided and my decision is that it isn't.

I've stayed their for various reasons (other people paying, sharing a room for a conference, visiting other people's rooms.) I can't say that the experience was ever magical for us. I've had more problems at the DLH than I have at other hotels in the area.

And when you have a family of five, that's a big chunk of vacation budget, I don't care who you are.

Adrienne

Chadsgal
06-30-2007, 08:33 AM
I enjoy staying on property but it is not cheep. We always go for more than 5 days so we get AP's & use our AP discount for the DLH or PP. We have gotten PP for $79 a night & DLH for $99 But that was in 2001 & 2002. So I am sure rates have gone up. But I think an AP gets you a 20% discount from the regular rate.

Malcon10t
06-30-2007, 08:34 AM
I have decided and my decision is that it isn't.

Same here. We've stayed there. But, when asked, my kids will vote to stay somewhere cheaper for a longer period. This coming Christmas, we can either stay 4 nights at a DLH in a 300sf room for 5 adults (well, my kids are 17-21), or 12 nights at the Residence Inn in a 725 sf room for the same price. We opted for the RI. Love the fireplace on Christmas Eve, the kitchen for the refridge, RI will shop for me (no costs except the food), and they provide a full, hot breakfast each day. My brother told me a few weeks ago that if money was no object, I would stay there. I honestly can't say I would. I've stayed in the Presidential Suite at the Hilton, and to be honest, I would probably stay there before I would stay at the DLH again. And it's cheaper.

jenpace
06-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Asking if you can shave a few bucks off of $252 for 5 people (which isn't bad) just cheapens the experience. Shame on you. Chuck...

Shaming you for asking a totally valid question :eek: I am really sorry you got that type of response.

I know that you were specifically asking about the first week in December but I wanted to share with you what we have done to make trips to DL and the DL resort hotels more afordable. We got Deluxe AP's and wait for the "AP Nights" special rates at the resort hotels. The best rate we ever got was $89.00 for The Grand Californian back in January of 2006. Taking advantage of those special rates does require a certain degree of flexibility since they don't typically release those rates more than a couple of months in advance, at the most.

GL with your trip planning and have a great time at DL!

Jennifer

abookworm
06-30-2007, 09:19 AM
thanks to everyone but the crabbypants :rolleyes:
I'll check on the advice and keep watching.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
06-30-2007, 09:47 AM
thanks to everyone but the crabbypants :rolleyes:
I'll check on the advice and keep watching.

Seriously don't give up, I check almost daily for lower rates at the Disneyland Hotels. They are a wonderful experience, however I would NEVER pay over 200 dollars a night, it is a hotel room. Hoping for magical AP rates in late september or early December. We have all ready decided that if we can get rooms for less than 199 in December we will do it, but 110-129 would be more comfy.

sjcivilady
06-30-2007, 11:06 AM
the Residence Inn in a 725 sf room for the same price. .

wow - that's about the same sf as my house! (just me and two cats, so I don't need much) I've heard lots of praise for the Residence Inn - I might have to check it out for our 2nd annual "celebrate Jim's bday with the mouse" trip around Dec 11 (my brother). :cool:

GORGON
07-04-2007, 12:28 PM
I went at the same time last year. I dragged my feet on the 4th night free promo they had and ended up staying at the hojo. ( i went for 12 days ). I heard that they are giving the 4th night deal right now if you book through travelocity or expedia. Maybe check that out. If i had to book again and that deal came through i would have booked DHL for the 4 night promo but would have split the trip and stayed at the Hojo the first 7 nights then moved on over to experience DHL .

biolabetty
07-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I got the DLH 2 years ago through Expedia for $129, but it was about 2 weeks before my trip. I also got it for $89 with my AP in November a year ago.

Mark099
07-05-2007, 01:20 AM
I would recommend that you book directly with a hotel to ensure you get a room for the dates you want at a price you can live with. For example, you can book online for the Fairfield Inn now. No deposit or pre-payment required. Then, check back every 2-3 weeks to see if better rates are available.

In 2002, we originally booked a room for around $80 a night at the Fairfield Inn. A month later, the room was about $65 so I made a new reservation and cancelled the original one. Then about 2 weeks before our trip, the rate hit a low of $52.50 per night.

I am not saying you'll get $50 rooms that will sleep 5 in 2007, but I am suggesting that you use a no-money-down way to secure your travel dates while looking for better deals.

Also, if you plan to use travel sites you should check them all. Not all pricing is the same. Last year when we went to Hawaii, Bookit.com was about $15/night cheaper (than the next lowest rate) for the same room. Also, check pricing through Alaska Airlines. In May, they had a "kids fly free" promo and we ended up paying about $1200 for 6 nights (air and hotel for 2 adults and 2 kids). We stayed at the Fairfield Inn.

IMO, I don't think that staying at the DLH offers the same value that staying at a Disney hotel in WDW does. For families, the best value lies in staying on Harbour Blvd. Hotels are 50-75% cheaper and you can still be within walking distance. There are more dining options -- Mimi's Cafe (best food and value), McD's, IHOP, Denny's, Tony Romas, Millie's (kids eat for 99 cents if you stay at the Fairfield Inn), etc... So, unless Disney creates a Disney Vacation Club resort at/near Disneyland I do not picture myself ever staying at a Disney hotel.

mkraemer
07-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Personally, I think $250 is way too much to pay for a Disney hotel property in Anaheim. I agree with other posters who would rather stay longer at a less expensive place.

One of the aspects you mentioned is the pool. Yes, the pool area at DLH is nice, but what are the chances that you'll really use it in December?

My DH likes to point out that a cheap hotel room looks just like an expensive one when the lights are out and your eyes are closed for the night...And the Visa bill doesn't make me wince as much when it shows up!

One other consideration for your trip in December is the Candlelight Procession. It's usually the first weekend in December, and that might also affect Disney hotel pricing.

Bolivar
07-06-2007, 10:10 AM
I have stayed at the DLH that first week in December. Keep in mind that the cast parties are generally the first Monday and Tuesday of December so the park closes at six. And they don't have lifegards at the pool in the evening.. The pool is still open but the cool slide isn't. So with the shot hours we didn't want to swim during the day and no slide at night.

spectromen
07-06-2007, 10:46 AM
The best I've ever done was $89 on a Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Probably won't happen again soon as occupancy rates are up. However, I think I read somewhere that the buy 3 - get the 4th night free deal is coming back this Fall, and maybe will go into early December.

rmarino74
07-06-2007, 12:01 PM
We are looking at going the 1st or 2nd week of Dec 2007. We've only stayed at HoJo before and it was nice but we thought the DL Hotel might be fun with the great kids pool area and we could spend 1 day there and at downtown disney. I checked on expedia today and it was $245 (2 adults, 3 kids) which seemed high to me for that time frame.
Is this what I should expect or is there a trick to getting a better rate?
thanks!

Annual passholder and AAA get a discount of 10% off of rack rates based upon availability, but they are almost always available.

If you are not a passholder, then expedia usually has good rates, but they don't typically happen until two weeks before arrival. In my experience, that is when Disney allows the discounted rated rooms to be available to Expedia. The great news is that the time you are looking at going is really low season and you can usually find the best rates at that time!

So, I would wait until closer to your vacation, I hear from other threads that they are bringing back the 4th night free promotion and it covers your dates!

I booked a room two weeks beforehand @ the Grand Californian in September of 2005 on Expedia @ the discounted rate of $165 per night. I also booked it with the 4th night free promotion and so if you divide the total nights (4) by the total price paid (3 * 165 = $495), I really only paid $123 per night for a room @ the Grand Californian!

So the best advice may be to just sit tight and have patience, because the "best deals" come closer to the time you are going.

katiesue
07-06-2007, 12:23 PM
I usually book a room directly with another hotel that I can cancel if need be. Then keep checking Disneyland Hotel to see if any good rates pop up. That way I defiantley have a room but there's some flexibility should a better rate pop up.

Mermaid
07-07-2007, 12:07 AM
I usually book a room directly with another hotel that I can cancel if need be. Then keep checking Disneyland Hotel to see if any good rates pop up. That way I defiantley have a room but there's some flexibility should a better rate pop up.

This is what I do. Then I know I have a place to stay at a rate that I am comfortable with as a worst case!

Wendy Bird
07-09-2007, 01:45 PM
I got the DLH 2 years ago through Expedia for $129, but it was about 2 weeks before my trip. I also got it for $89 with my AP in November a year ago.
When do APs rate come out? I'm looking to take my parents sometime between OCT-DEC and hoping to stay at the GCH since they have not been to Disneyland in 14 years.