PDA

View Full Version : How reliable is Disney's Magical Express luggage delivery?

Artoo
06-29-2007, 01:27 PM
One of my biggest fears is having my luggage lost on a vacation.
We're using the Magical Express and I am sort of worried. I know that they take your luggage and bring it to your resort, but I am just so scared that something is going to go wrong. Never used the service before.
I know that it can take a few hours for your bags to arrive at your resort, but I am one of those folks who just thinks about the worst-case scenario all the time.
How reliable is ME? Have any of you ever experienced problems with it (like lost luggage)?

dahunter1129
06-29-2007, 02:07 PM
We have used it twice with no problems at all. My DH was like you, he was sure our luggage would never be delivered. The fisrt time we used it, we arrived at WDW at about 10 am. We went to our rooms, changed and went to MK. When we came back to our rooms at 2 pm, our luggage was there. DH was in shock! We are true believers in DME, have never heard anything bad about it.

GusMan
06-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Never had an issue with DME at all. Love the service and think it is a great perk for those who stay on site. Some people dont like the pickup times for when you go back to the airport or the fact that you may have to make an extra stop at other resorts before getting to their destination, but to me, those things are rather petty considering that it is "free" and appears to be rather reliable.

Greg in TN
06-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Has worked like a charm each time we've used it. And this last time we had a lot of bags to handle :eek:

:D

Chicago Wookiee
06-29-2007, 10:41 PM
We have never had a DME issue.

This most recent time the bag almost got to the room before we did as we had taken a 30 minute carriage ride. Thats a sound service.

tunaman68
06-30-2007, 12:09 AM
We used ME on our last trip and thought it was great!!

We don't go to a park on our arrival day, (west coast flight makes for a long day), so we packed our swim suits and sunscreen in our carry on so we could swim when we got there.

By the time we checked in, had a bite to eat, and a quick dip in the pool, our bags were in our rooms.

Also, on the return home it was great to give our bags to the people at the resort, and see them at LAX at the other end of our flight.

One word of caution, watch the weight of the bags. They put them on a scale at the POR and would have charged extra or refused to check the bags if they were over the limit.

Have Fun!!!!

mom22gls
06-30-2007, 12:53 AM
We have used the service several times, with no problems, and our luggage has always arrived within a reasonable time. I worry less about ME losing our luggage than about the airline losing it. In that regard, I think having the bar coded luggage tags actually makes it more likely that we will get our luggage, even if the bags don't make it on or off our plane at the same time we do. As long as the luggage arrives in Orlando, and the ME staff are present to pick it up (a fair assumption that at least one person on every flight is going to Disney and using the ME service), then our bags should make it back to our room, even if it arrives on the wrong flight or time.

lightygirl
06-30-2007, 06:38 AM
we loved the magical express!! It was so great not having to worry about the luggage! And it showed up just like they said it would!!!

Chicago Wookiee
06-30-2007, 07:03 AM
One word of caution, watch the weight of the bags. They put them on a scale at the POR and would have charged extra or refused to check the bags if they were over the limit.

Pretty much every airline will charge extra for a bag over 50 pounds. The way Disney got to have some (but not all) airlines offer flight check-in at the resorts was to weigh them and charge on behalf of the airline. It's not a Disney charge but your airline.

Not all airlines are part of the program. We take Southwest and all Disney can do is put our bags on our bus and then we take them from the bus to the Southwest check-in. Check to see if your airline is part of the program for returning home.

Kira
06-30-2007, 08:48 AM
We arrived at the hotel in the early afternoon and checked in at the resort. We spent some time in Downtown Disney and had an early evening dinner that night at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. By the time we got back our luggage was all there in our room waiting for us. We had no problem at all.

In the past (before DME) one time our luggage was not lost but somehow took a later flight than we did and that was quite a hassle getting that all straightened out before leaving from the airport for the hotel.

Since that time this is how we pack (there are 3 of us traveling together):
Enough clothes and toiletries for the first 24 hours and medications for the trip go into the cary-on. The rest of our stuff is distributed amongst all the checked bags. That is each suitcase contains some of the clothes and other items for each of the 3 in our group. That way no one person would lose all of their stuff if the bag were to be lost.

freedrph0512
07-01-2007, 06:18 PM
We did have our luggage misplaced once with DME, we checked in and went to the park around 3 and when we got back to the hotel at 9pm we only had one piece of luggage instead of 3. By the time I gathered our DME stuff to walk down to the front desk, the delivery guy was pushing our luggage down the hall. They guy told me it got pushed to the back in the storage room and he had just realized they should be delivered.