PDA

View Full Version : Where can we pick up a bottle of wine?

Pages : [1] 2

neverlander
06-28-2007, 05:59 PM
We will be staying at the GCH and would like to pick up some decent wine for our hotel room. Is there a somewhat reasonabe place to pick up a bottle or two in DTD or CA? Could we walk into a lounge or restaurant at the GCH and ask for a bottle to go? I'm afraid to see what room service would charge, though I am willing to pay a somewhat elevated price (to be expected).
Thanks a lot.

screamin4ever
06-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Hook's Pointe has a wine cellar. I don't know if they sell them to go, but they have some great wines.

adriennek
06-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Well Napa Rose, as the name would imply, has an amazing wine list. I also don't know if they're allowed to sell an unopened bottle to go. My guess is that they might be required to open the bottle before you leave the restaurant, but I don't know how much of the wine you'd be required to consume before leaving. They don't open until 5 or 5:30 pm.

To show you how often I visit the "winery" at DCA - I don't know if they sell wine bottles in their deli there.

Adrienne

cstephens
06-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Hook's Pointe has a wine cellar. I don't know if they sell them to go, but they have some great wines.

Yep, they do, or at least they did when we browsed there a few years ago.

Well Napa Rose, as the name would imply, has an amazing wine list. I also don't know if they're allowed to sell an unopened bottle to go. My guess is that they might be required to open the bottle before you leave the restaurant, but I don't know how much of the wine you'd be required to consume before leaving. They don't open until 5 or 5:30 pm.

To show you how often I visit the "winery" at DCA - I don't know if they sell wine bottles in their deli there.

I don't think they can sell unopened bottles of wine, and I wouldn't think they'd let you leave with a partial bottle - the times we've been somewhere that someone wanted to take the bottle home, they required that the bottle be empty.

The deli where the Trattoria at DCA is now used to sell unopened bottles.

Clotho
06-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Well, "decent" wine isn't as hard to come by as it used to be. We found some very more than decent wines in the convenience stores in the lobbies of the Good Neighbor hotels many times. I mean, you're right there in Cali, so there are plenty of California selections worth trying, but also some Australian if you like those. Nothing much over $15, but good enough for sippin' in your hotel room. I am not a wine snob, but nor do we buy Franzia and Turning Leaf, based on personal flavor preferences. ;) We enjoy scouting out good bottles at low prices, so consider ourselves kind of wine sleuths!

going2disneyAZ
06-29-2007, 01:08 PM
The 7-11 and ABC Mart on Harbour have a surprisingly large selection of liquor and wine. I have not shopped for wine there so I dont know what they have that is 'decent'....

neverlander
06-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback, and sorry for using a subjective term in stating my preference. It sounds like Hook's Pointe may be my best bet, as I get lost easily :confused: and don't want to spend much time venturing off-site. I'm basically looking for some California pinot beyond the Columbia Crest or Chateau St. Michelle options. I typically cap at around $20, as we have great local wine at a reasonable price here in Oregon. So, I guess at DL, less than $40 would probably be acceptable.
I'm really hoping for something convenient because when the kids go down at night, we're soon to follow. I just don't know if we'll want to wait for room service to bring up a bottle; we might be asleep by then! However, if anyone's ordered nighttime wine, hot chocolate, cookies from room service at GCH, can you tell me if it takes as long as it does for food (45 min to 1 hr)?
Thanks again.

emmah
06-29-2007, 04:31 PM
why don't you just take some with you? seems like it would save a ton of hassle and money...

Clotho
06-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Your terms are fine. :)
And Chateau St Michele is a WASHINGTON wine, thankyouverymuch. LOL! :)

You can't get lost, I promise, by going to the shops I am speaking of. Literally walk toward Harbor Ave (Disneyland's entrance is right there, as you walk out of GCH in DTD, take a right and walk straight, and you're there), and all the shops are right across the street. Seriously, completely easy. And I guarantee you will pay double the retail cost of any wine you buy at a restaurant--their prices are inflated, so whenever possible, buy from a store instead of a restaurant!

Have fun!

Drince88
06-29-2007, 04:39 PM

So is Columbia Crest. :D

neverlander
06-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Have fun!

So is Columbia Crest. :D

Okay, sorry! I'm such a dork! :eek: (So embarassed!)
Yes, convenience store prices are definitely more appealing than restaurant prices. If it's really that easy, perhaps we'll pick up some water and snacks as well.
Thanks!

adriennek
06-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Trivia: we actually went to Chateau Ste Michelle on our honeymoon...

$20 cap on red wine at a resort restaurant is going to be low. When NR first opened, our personal cap was $40. These days we aim for the $60 - 80 range - although $40 bottles can still be found.

Will you have a car? Our local grocery stores have some pretty decent selections of wine. If you can get to a Cost Plus World Market or Trader Joes, you might find some great deals. We found a cab at Napa Rose called "Moon Mountain" - I think it's Sonoma but it might be Central Coast, too. I found it for sale at World Market and I was very excited.

Adrienne

limace
06-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for this info, as we'll find it handy, too. And hi to a fellow Eugenean, Neverlander!

Clotho
06-30-2007, 10:50 AM
You did Adriene? You honeymooned in Washington? That is so interesting!

We try to keep a $15 cap on table wine (drink a glass or two during the week with dinner), $25 on casual night-out, and about $45 on nice night out.

I do likes me some wine.

And yes, stock up on a few other little things while you're there--like the wine opener I invariably forget because I can't just pack one in my "emergency kit" in my carry on like I did for years (which had lotion, scissors, bandaids, etc--you know IMPORTANT stuff ;). I have to try to remember to stick one in my checked baggage somewhere and I never do. We have a ton of wine openers in our house as a result. We keep bringing them home from vacation! LOL

We usually pick up a bag o' chips, a little chocolate, and a bottle of wine. Not too much--snacks and such will be overpriced there, too, since it is a convenience shop, but at least a better deal wine-wise than a restaurant and *definitely* convenient!

wwithers
06-30-2007, 11:55 AM
The Target on Harbor (across from the Marriott Suites) has some very decent wines, both red and white, at reasonable prices.

For some reason they don't sell beer though. :confused:

Mr.Abominable
06-30-2007, 12:21 PM
We found a cab at Napa Rose called "Moon Mountain" - I think it's Sonoma but it might be Central Coast, too. I found it for sale at World Market and I was very excited.

Adrienne
It is definately from Sonoma, I use to pour this by the glass at Craftsteak. :)

adriennek
06-30-2007, 03:50 PM
You did Adriene? You honeymooned in Washington? That is so interesting!

Yep. And we took the dinner train out of Renton(?) which stops at Chateau Ste Michelle between dinner & dessert. Washington has a decent climate for white wine but you really need the heat to crank up to make good cabs & zins (although merlot needs it to not get hot to be decent which is one reason why the mass marketing of merlot to appease people who can't (yet) handle fuller bodied red wine produces mediocre merlot, which I consider redundant but I've been told that properly grown merlot isn't mediocre wine. OOPS, I opined, didn't I?)

Adrienne

VickiC
06-30-2007, 04:17 PM
We took the lunch train with our kids a couple of years ago and toured the winery. A very enjoyable experience, even though I don't drink.

neverlander
06-30-2007, 05:30 PM
We found some very more than decent wines in the convenience stores in the lobbies of the Good Neighbor hotels many times.

You can't get lost, I promise, by going to the shops I am speaking of. Literally walk toward Harbor Ave (Disneyland's entrance is right there, as you walk out of GCH in DTD, take a right and walk straight, and you're there), and all the shops are right across the street. Seriously, completely easy. And I guarantee you will pay double the retail cost of any wine you buy at a restaurant--their prices are inflated, so whenever possible, buy from a store instead of a restaurant!

Have fun!
Thank you, Clotho. I think I can handle this jaunt, and it would be enlightening to explore the areas around DL. This will be our third trip as a family, and it looks like we may want to make a tradition of it! So, resort prices on everything is looking like a big investment each year... In addition, if I use this excuse to cross the esplanade alone on the first day, I can have an opportunity to locate our brick (an anniversary surprise) before I navigate my family there.

$20 cap on red wine at a resort restaurant is going to be low. When NR first opened, our personal cap was $40. These days we aim for the $60 - 80 range - although $40 bottles can still be found.

Will you have a car?
We will not have a car. And really, if it's $65 through room service and we want wine without walking, we'll pay it. I'm just thinking that if I plan ahead a bit, I could possibly pick up something for around $40.

And yes, stock up on a few other little things while you're there--like the wine opener I invariably forget because I can't just pack one in my "emergency kit" in my carry on like I did for years (which had lotion, scissors, bandaids, etc--you know IMPORTANT stuff ;).
Great reminder. I'm always so good about that when we go to the beach, camping, etc. But I wouldn't have remembered to take one to DL, even with this quest to purchase wine!

Thank you again, everyone, for the continuous helpful responses to every question I ask. If I may, a few more regarding the convenience stores...

Where, specifically, should I look for the markets when crossing the street? Is it obvious? Maybe I should start a new thread, but how about water and some of the few other essentials? Does anyone know of one that opens particularly early? I typically rise and venture out much earlier than the rest of my family. (Like sixish)

I hope I'm not taking you all for granted, as I know I could research this a bit and find it on the internet. However, like I mentioned before, these quick answers are appreciated and amazing!

Thanks again!!!

adriennek
06-30-2007, 09:47 PM
I know nothing about the little stores.

There's a Target at the corner of Harbor Blvd and Chapman. Frankly, I think that's going to be a great bet, especially if that Target has a liquor license and sells wine. But I wouldn't call it walking distance - We walked it once in the middle of July because a CM told us it was "a couple of blocks" :eek: It's closer to a mile, which isn't horrendous but it's not a couple of blocks and during the summer it can be really hot and you might not want to be carrying bags that far.

If there's a bus that goes straight up and down Harbor Blvd (and I can't imagine that there isn't), I'd consider taking it to go to Target myself - or maybe even get a taxi. It will definitely save a few bucks on the wine ;)

Adrienne

Clotho
06-30-2007, 10:37 PM
It will be obvious where the stores are. They have windows to the street, and sell things like beach towels, blow up toys, sunglasses, souvenir tee shirts and knick knacks, snacks, milk, cereal, water, and wine.

If you plan to stock up on waters, it could get spendy, as I am sure you know you can't really buy a flat of waters at a convenience store and individual ones tend to be overpriced. We tend to buy a few of the largest bottles they have and drink them from glasses in the room. We don't like to carry water with us into the park--we try to travel light.

If you want to get more than a few little things, Adrienne is right that it might behoove you to bus up to Target. But for just a bag o' chips, suntan lotion, and a bottle of wine, you will find MORE than enough at these stores.

wwithers
07-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I know nothing about the little stores.

There's a Target at the corner of Harbor Blvd and Chapman. Frankly, I think that's going to be a great bet, especially if that Target has a liquor license and sells wine.
Adrienne

Pssst...

The Target on Harbor (across from the Marriott Suites) has some very decent wines, both red and white, at reasonable prices.

For some reason they don't sell beer though.

;)

adriennek
07-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Pssst...

That's why I said it. I haven't been there for a long time so I was going by what you'd said.

Adrienne

tod
07-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Trader Joe's is the best place to get wine in Southern California. Unfortunately, the nearest one is 4.66 miles away from Disneyland, way too far to walk.

Good luck.

--t

bigrockstar
07-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey, Neverlander...

Before you leave Eugene, drive down to Sylvan Ridge, pick up a couple bottles of Pinot and Early Muscat to pack, and enjoy a few tastings up and down territoral road while you're at it.:D At least that's what I would do... You might also try Sweet Cheeks winery, across the street. They have only been around for a couple years, but they are showing some very promising results for the amount of time they have been operational.

Other than that, If you are interested in California wines, I can't help you beyond what is available in grocery stores here. If you want to keep your luggage light, I understand, but you would save a great deal of money and hassle if you brought it in yourself. If that requires bringing it on an airplane, remember that it must be checked in your suitcase, so cushion it well. Here's a tip I found on another website:
"Each passenger is allowed two bags on many airlines, so don’t forget that you can use the baggage quota of the whole family! (just be sure you can fit it all in the car/taxi)"