PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland's future...

jeffthechef
06-27-2007, 01:38 PM
It was floated about at one point to re-theme Tomorrowland to become a land entirely devoted to Star Wars. Does anyone think this would be a good idea? If not, how would you fix this neglected area of DL?

Jagdcarcajou
06-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Heya,

Given a magic wand I would overhaul the entire area into something more like Mysterious Island in Tokyo. The unique and imaginative rides there look great, and don't risk becoming constantly dated, like current Tomorrow Land. I have seen thoughts about a Future That Never Was, and that sounds good too. Personally, I have lost my taste for Star Wars over the years, and I used to be a huge fan. Not only were the sequels universally horrible, the movies are just not standing up well to my tastes, so an entire land for it is rather blah sounding. As much as I appreciate character themed attractions, I would love to see more truly inspired rides that create lore of their own rather than vice versa. More rides that inspire movies, less of the other way around! Disney needs more Haunted Mansion, PotC, Big Thunder Mountain, and Expedition Everest type attractions.

Whatever they do, it needs to be done with more care and attention than the horrible Pooh ride in DLR. Oh boy, flat cut outs! :rolleyes:

Bytebear
06-27-2007, 02:44 PM
You can go in two directions: fantasy with Star Wars/Buzz Lightyear or you can go (pseudo)reality with Innoventions/Honey I shrunk the Audience. I personally think they should devote a huge chunk of the land to space exploration and partner with NASA. I also think the people mover track could be renovated with new people movers, not based on any theme, but on real technology like GPS tracking and collision detection on the vehicles.

mistofviolets
06-27-2007, 03:41 PM
You can go in two directions: fantasy with Star Wars/Buzz Lightyear or you can go (pseudo)reality with Innoventions/Honey I shrunk the Audience. I personally think they should devote a huge chunk of the land to space exploration and partner with NASA.

I like this idea :) I think Tomorrowland should continue to be *tomorrow*land, as that was Walt's vision. Star wars would limit the audience to SW fans. They could definately do some cool stuff with NASA and space themes; they could do some sort of "green energy" exhibits...

Another Dimension
06-27-2007, 03:44 PM
TL will most likely continue to be a nothing but a similarily painted attractions and theming mix, as it is now....

A new People Mover, Star Tours 2, a new TLT stage show, Star Wars Weekends, a new Innoventions level 1, a HISTA replacement... Probably all by 2012...
Or all of the above anyway, sooner or later.

Then what?

No idea.

But Matt Ouimett did create 5 year and a 10 year plan for the Resort in 2005...

Anyone know what else is on them??

By that time, will Tomorrowland have enough?
People say it's still a 'neglected land' but it really just got a refurbed Space Mtn, brand new Buzz, new land paint job and the re-opened Subs... in just the last couple years.
And where would anything new go at this point?

Starcade isn't big enough for anything really and I really have my doubts Foods would ever give the RRPP space back to Attractions.

Bolivar
06-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Explain to me the theme of Tomorrowland. I used to think a was a vision of the future, but looking at it we have:

Star Tour based on a movie that starts, "A !ong time ago in a galaxy far away..."

Buzz Lightyear based on a movie about toys that come to life.

The subs based on a movie about talking fish.

Autopia where one drives a car...

There doesn't seem to be much tomorrow in tomorrowland. But then pirates seem to be stealing New Orleans from NOS and the frontier from TSI.

cillydznygirl
06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Has there ever been any talk about doing a Mission:Space or Body Wars like WDW?

minniemom
06-27-2007, 05:21 PM
I would hate Tomorrowland if it became Starwarsland. I think it would be boring to hop from one ride to the next and still be stuck on the same theme. Could you imagine Space Mountain with a Starwars theme? That would be a sad day for me.

I think Tomorrowland needs a Stitch ride & Mission Space. I love Buzz, and Space Mountain the way they are!!! HISTA & Innovations are in a serious need of a face lift!!! But if it means converting them all to a Stars Wars Theme, my vote is leave them alone!!

screamin4ever
06-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Tomorrowland has always been a strange collection of attractions. Walt opened it with props from 20,000 Leagues for heaven's sake. It will continue to be a strange collection between fantasy, sci-fi, and future. And why would we have it any other way? There is no vision of the future that works for everyone and every attraction.

As long as Stitch NEVER finds a home in Tomorrowland at Disneyland, I will be happy. Unless he was going to be the babbling, unintelligible narrator of a new people mover. Then that would be hilarious!

Susan L
06-27-2007, 05:49 PM
You can go in two directions: fantasy with Star Wars/Buzz Lightyear or you can go (pseudo)reality with Innoventions/Honey I shrunk the Audience. I personally think they should devote a huge chunk of the land to space exploration and partner with NASA. I also think the people mover track could be renovated with new people movers, not based on any theme, but on real technology like GPS tracking and collision detection on the vehicles.

I like the way you think Bytebear:D

Another Dimension
06-27-2007, 11:17 PM
As long as Stitch NEVER finds a home in Tomorrowland at Disneyland, I will be happy. Unless he was going to be the babbling, unintelligible narrator of a new people mover. Then that would be hilarious!

That would be hilarious!! :cool:

Stitch is great fun in Talk with Stitch in Innoventions.

<Stitch> If you see Mickey Mouse, tell him he still owes me $2!!
:D

But really.. at DL, doesn't Stitch belong in Adventureland, with Lilo? :eek:
He's from Space, but he lives in Hawaii. ;)

mickeyxminnie
06-29-2007, 08:11 PM
i think that there are lands with a lot less to offer.. tomorrowland and fantasyland seem to be the only places with more than 2 rides.

i think its not what it needs.. but more like the name just doesnt match the land anymore, it definatly has a space / transportation theme, but could you imagine it being called anything different, maybe todayland a la meet the robinsons.

i guess this goes along with the discussions about DCA.. i dont see a problem with that neither.