PDA

View Full Version : How do I beat the crowds on peak days?

iracema1
06-25-2002, 05:46 AM
Dear Forum Members:
I am going to be visiting Disneyland July 5-6-7, arriving in the mid afternoon on Friday the 5th. I know this is a peak time, so can anyone give me some advice on beating the crowds at attractions/restaurants, etc?
Thanks

RideMax Mark
06-25-2002, 07:57 AM
One of the most important tips is to arrive early. I would plan to be in line at the main gate no later than 7:15am or so. You can then tour until early afternoon, take a break, and come back in the evening ready to catch Fantasmic! and the fireworks.

downingfamily1
06-25-2002, 09:07 AM
I just got back from the DLresort on Sunday and I agree with what RideMax Mark said. We would line up for Disneyland about 7:15. When you get in you can do anything without any real wait until about 9:45-10:00am. At that point it got pretty crowded and we would either get some fastpasses and do some shopping or head over to DCA. I know it is not popular, but we (2 adults) really enjoyed being at DCA. The pace is a little slower and although there were a lot of people it was not as crowded as Disneyland. After DCA closed we would head back over to Disneyland.

Since it was warm Splash Mountain seemed to be extremely popular with 2 1/2 hour wait times and fastpasses running out in early afternoon. If you want to do it go early or get a fastpass early. Also try to eat at off times to avoid some of the lines.

Have fun!!
-Julie

SoCalDisneyLover
06-25-2002, 11:02 AM
What worked well for me when I went over Memorial Day Weekend, was first of all...get there early, before park opens by a minimum of 1/2 hour. If they have not already let people in, get in line. If you need to get tickets first, get there even earlier, or buy them all first day of trip(park hopper multi-day?)

Then, first thing...hit Fantasyland. Another option is to get a quick Fast Pass for say Indiana Jones, which still allows you to get another one in 2 hours. But do the Fantasyland & Toontown rides first, assuming you enjoy them. This should take about 2 - 2 1/2 hours if you do most of them. You may also want to hit Matterhorn at that point if the line is not too long.

After that...head over towards New Orleans Square area. Use the back path around Thunder Mountain to save time. When you get there...pick up the "Free" Fastpasses for Haunted Mansion & Pirates. You may decide to use your Indiana pass if you got one, or can still hold onto it. Grab a quick pancake breakfast if it's still early enough at the River Belle Terrace, and try for an outside table to people watch.

By now it's roughly 11 - 12:00, and the crowds will certainly be picking up considerably. The next part is key. From NO Square, it's easier to time your walk to Critter Country, so you can pick up an afternoon timed pass for Splash Mtn. These days, I'd guess you want to get one No Later Than Noon, perhaps earlier. If you utilized your first FP upon arrival at 8 AM, you can get another after 10. Make your 2nd for Splash. You'll be incredibly glad you saved 1 1/2 - 2 hours for other things later.

While you're waiting for Splash, hit other rides in the vicinity like Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder, Mark Twain, etc. And use your free FP's for Haunted & Pirates. After window on your Splash pass expires...it takes 2 hours...get another one....perhaps for Big Thunder. You will be amazed at how many attractions you will have covered by 3:00 in the afternoon, when the lines will be at their worst.

Continue getting FP's as a regimen, and you will feel wonderful for avoiding the lines all day long. You will have some, but much fewer than those standing for 3 hours just to go on 2 rides like Splash and Indy. Do Tomorrowland later, even at night. The area is not as crowded these days, plus it is more appropriate at night. If you have Hoppers, visit Cal Adventure when it gets more crowded at DL. Key FP rides over there include Soarin' Over California, Screamin', and Grizzly River Run(during mid-daytime hours).

I just realized you may be concerned with your arrival in the afternoon on Day 1. Nothing you can do about that, except make reservations via (714) 781-DINE in advance for one of the sit-down places in the park. Get the hot FP's as early as possible, although forget Splash that day, you will be wasting your time. Arrive early to get a spot for Fantasmic...or just hit the later show when crowds are lighter. That's my advice. Enjoy your trip.

KarenW2
06-25-2002, 11:49 AM
Another time saver, and FEET saver, is to appoint one responsible (as in can handle multiple tickets without dropping or losing them & knows their way around the parks!) person to be your "runner" for getting the Fast Passes. While the rest of your group waits in line for a non-FP ride, or just relaxes, the other can gather everybody's ticket media & go "run" to get FPs for the whole group. :D

We even use this system when it's just my DH and I! :D I have severe arthritis & can't handle a lot of walking or running, and he always has more than enough energy that he wants to run off!

Check out rides when the parades or fireworks are on, since there will be a "critical mass" of humans lined up for this. Make dinner reservations early, like restaurant opening time for dinner & you should be able to get in & out easily.

I NEVER recommend going to the parks at this time of year, cos I hate rude people and crowds, but if there's no choice about when you're coming, I hope you have a great time, despite the crowds!!

Lani
06-25-2002, 12:24 PM
iracema1 -- we wrote a very popular article specifically to answer your types of questions. The article is called "Beating the Crowds (http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/tp020502.htm)" and and the tips come from MousePlanet staff. Please do read it when you have a chance.