PDA

View Full Version : Lilo and Stitch Tiki Room

Ace
06-24-2002, 08:24 PM
Now that Lilo and Stitch is out, and it's doing well at the box office (http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,10148,00.html), does anyone know what's happening with the Tiki Room? The rumor was that it was going to become something to do with Lilo and Stitch (I had no idea the movie had anything to do with Hawaii so I thought this was a terrible idea, but after seeing the movie it seems like an ok idea.) I think that they should have "Lilo and Stitch's Holiday" something, instead of making it a full time thing.

Not Afraid
06-24-2002, 08:52 PM
This has been discussed several times with various members of the MP "face" group and this is our "plan".

First of all, PLEASE don't touch the Tiki Room unless it is to clean it up. It was one of Walt's originals and really shows off early audioanimatronic technology. Plus, it is still a blast!

Secondly, (speaking of Blast).....Blast is leaving DCA and an Aladdin show is going into the Hyperion. Surely the "other" Alladin show is not needed at DL (even though I love it dearly). That space could be reworked into a Lilo and Stitch show complete with Hula dancers and fire twirlers........wait that sounds familiar............why, its just like the Tahitian Terrace!!!!

Pony Sugrue
06-24-2002, 09:00 PM
Well this may have changed, but last I heard, LILO & STITCH were going to make their appearance in DCA instead at PARADISE PIER. Makes plenty of sense to me: "Let's see, LILO & STITCH is set in a tropical environment in Hawaii... should we put them in ADVENTURELAND?! Nah, lets put them at PARADISE PIER in Disney's CALIFORNIA Adventure." California/Hawaii.. what's the difference?

Hyperboy
06-24-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue
Makes plenty of sense to me: "Let's see, LILO & STITCH is set in a tropical environment in Hawaii... should we put them in ADVENTURELAND?! Nah, lets put them at PARADISE PIER in Disney's CALIFORNIA Adventure." California/Hawaii.. what's the difference?

Exactly. Disney just wants to pack more people into DCA -- screw the "theme" in theme park! This also illustrates what Al calls one of the fundamental problems with DCA -- the thematic limitations of having a park about California in California. (i.e. what kind of parade could they have after Eureka, a supposed "celebration of California culture"?... I don't even wanna get into the MSEP issue) At this point, they can't even stick with their own limited theme! I have a feeling that "Disney's California Adventure" will eventually become a "generic" name for a Disney park in California, and not necessarily a theme park about California.

As far as the tiki room is concerned, I just wish they would get the animatronics all fixed up. Last time I went in there (in April 2002), it was pretty sad -- I'd say about 20-25% of the animatronics weren't moving at all. (Maybe I should fill a squirt gun with mayo and squirt it in the air to make the show more realistic? just kidding :D)

Not Afraid, I LOVE the idea of re-opening the Tahitian Terrace with a Lilo and Stitch theme! Just the thought of sitting there eating fresh coconut while watching the show..... they could teach us the Hawaiian words to the songs (I just bought the soundtrack today and... no lyrics, darnit.) Having Lilo and Stitch in Adventureland just seems to make sense! Oh shoot, there I go with that "s" word again...

stan4d_steph
06-25-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue
Well this may have changed, but last I heard, LILO & STITCH were going to make their appearance in DCA instead at PARADISE PIER. Makes plenty of sense to me: "Let's see, LILO & STITCH is set in a tropical environment in Hawaii... should we put them in ADVENTURELAND?! Nah, lets put them at PARADISE PIER in Disney's CALIFORNIA Adventure." California/Hawaii.. what's the difference?

Actually the "show" at DCA isn't much of a show at all. We went to check it out this past Sunday and it's just a small stage across from the entrance to the Orange Stinger where there was a group of musicians playing music. I was hoping it would be more like the hula we experienced at the El Capitan. No luck. And for some reason there was a CM playing a "clueless American" role, which I didn't understand. She kept saying that she didn't know the words, etc. One song involved learning the "Pizza Oom Mow Mow Chant." :rolleyes: There was an area set up for doing crafts (sun visors, postcards and "wrist leis" and another area for the L&S meet and greet. In summary, it's mostly for kids, there's nowhere to sit and not much shade. Not what I would call a proper showcase. Now the Tahitian Terrace idea is one that I can support... :)

merlinjones
06-25-2002, 09:01 AM
I want the Tahitian Terrace back!!!!

Since Nani works at a Luau in the film, its the perfect way to get our hula and fire dancers back - - with a little help from Stitch.

Lani
06-25-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Hyperboy
they could teach us the Hawaiian words to the songs (I just bought the soundtrack today and... no lyrics, darnit.)It's not totally accurate, but take a look my attempt at the lyrics to Hawaiian Roller Coaster ride in a thread in the Lounge (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=7199).

The Adventureland/Tiki Room area would be a perfect match for L&S, but from what I hear, the mandate is "all new characters must go to DCA." Feh.:rolleyes:

Lani
06-25-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Since Nani works at a Luau in the film, its the perfect way to get our hula and fire dancers back - - with a little help from Stitch. There would be some extreme irony in that, what with...

Nani's opinion about "fake luaus" for the tourists. :p

Ace
06-25-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Hyperboy

Exactly. Disney just wants to pack more people into DCA -- screw the "theme" in theme park! This also illustrates what Al calls one of the fundamental problems with DCA -- the thematic limitations of having a park about California in California. (i.e. what kind of parade could they have after Eureka, a supposed "celebration of California culture"?... I don't even wanna get into the MSEP issue) At this point, they can't even stick with their own limited theme! I have a feeling that "Disney's California Adventure" will eventually become a "generic" name for a Disney park in California, and not necessarily a theme park about California.

As far as the tiki room is concerned, I just wish they would get the animatronics all fixed up. Last time I went in there (in April 2002), it was pretty sad -- I'd say about 20-25% of the animatronics weren't moving at all. (Maybe I should fill a squirt gun with mayo and squirt it in the air to make the show more realistic? just kidding :D)

Not Afraid, I LOVE the idea of re-opening the Tahitian Terrace with a Lilo and Stitch theme! Just the thought of sitting there eating fresh coconut while watching the show..... they could teach us the Hawaiian words to the songs (I just bought the soundtrack today and... no lyrics, darnit.) Having Lilo and Stitch in Adventureland just seems to make sense! Oh shoot, there I go with that "s" word again...

Well, the Flik's Fantasy Faire thing isn't very California-y, and Tower of Terror is only related to California in that it's the "Hollywood Hotel." I agree, that DCA will become just a theme park, and the new rides that go over there will be generic, and not California themed. However, if they ever try to do that to Disneyland....

Disney Nick
06-25-2002, 10:10 AM
Lani you were just itching to use that SPOILER tag that Alex added huh? ;)