PDA

View Full Version : When will NEMO lines start to die down...?

Pages : [1] 2

ShirleyFilms
06-25-2007, 09:21 AM
How many weeks/months/years do you think it will be till the Nemo lines start to die down to reasonable levels? I haven't experienced a lot of brand-new (or reworked) rides in the past. But I will never wait more than 45 minutes for a ride.... (which is why I avoid going in the summer)

I am planning a trip later this year... just wondering what to expect.

Thanks.

houseofmouse
06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Here is my opinion, although I am no expect on the subject of rides and crowds. My guess is after the summer season winds down, the line for Nemo will also die down. When we were there in June we saw lines anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours. We rode on a day they were letting Aps ride so we waited 15 mins. Although the ride is cool and fun I did not wait in the line again. So thats my guess for you. :)

KDR
06-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Mid-winter is my guess. Late January.

The old man
06-25-2007, 10:51 AM
I think this will always be a difficult ride except during slow seasons starting with 2008. The problem is it's very slow loading.

Andrew
06-25-2007, 11:47 AM
We were talking about it over the weekend and came up with this novel idea: What about making the Subs FastPass-only? No standby line at all, just get your FP and come back later. That would be the vision of FastPass--save your place in line--in its truest expression.

Disney knows the hourly capacity of the attraction (some have said around 1200 guests). Issue that many FPs times the number of hours the park will be open, using slightly longer return windows, e.g. ten or fifteen minutes apart rather than five.

They wouldn't have to reconfigure the queue, since the only people waiting in line to board the attraction would be FP holders. They would need to install FP machines somewhere nearby, but that could be done pretty easily.

Pro: No 90-to-120 minute lines. Come back at your return time and have a minimal wait to board.

Con: Once the day's allotment of FPs is used up, you're out of luck. Better get your FP early!

ArtGuy
06-25-2007, 12:11 PM
We're here at DL and went on Nemo last night. 1 hour and five minutes total wait. This was a Sunday night with a moderately crowded park. I thought we were going to have to get up at dawn and get in line etc.. but it worked out very well! Of course there are some people who just can't wait, and try to sleaze their way to the front.

One woman with 3 kids said they had been waiting for over an hour and her kids had to use the bathroom - spoken as she and the not so little ones pushed through the line. I politely informed her that there was no bathroom at the end of the line - just a submarine - or a lagoon. Either of which would make a lousy bathroom.

About 5 minutes later we all watched her get on the next sub with kids in tow! Sheesh, some people!!

SoCalSteven
06-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Con: Once the day's allotment of FPs is used up, you're out of luck. Better get your FP early!

That is a pretty big con. If you don't come to the park early you wouldn't ever get the option of riding.

Plus, you'd need a more definite return time, perhaps a 15 minute window, no earlier, no later, to control the people coming on. Sounds like too much to ask of families with kids IMO.

Bytebear
06-25-2007, 03:32 PM
That is a pretty big con. If you don't come to the park early you wouldn't ever get the option of riding.

Plus, you'd need a more definite return time, perhaps a 15 minute window, no earlier, no later, to control the people coming on. Sounds like too much to ask of families with kids IMO.

I would never ride it then. I rarely get to the park before noon. Sounds like a bad idea to me. How about they up the budget and refurbish the subs like they initially planned - adding more seats and a second ladder so guests can enter at one end, while others exit at the other.

houseofmouse
06-25-2007, 03:40 PM
The subs have two ladders. Each sub holds fourty people per ride. I think it is just a slow load/unload ride, you don't want people running and shoving to try to get on or off faster.:) I don't think an hour is too long of a wait for a new ride on a Sunday either. As I have seen Space Mountains line over an hour and a half many times.:)

raediance
06-25-2007, 03:57 PM
This ride is one of the main reasons for renewing my pass. =) I need to ride it eventually, Mom, so why don't we just renew it now?

b52hbuff
06-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Disney knows the hourly capacity of the attraction (some have said around 1200 guests). Issue that many FPs times the number of hours the park will be open, using slightly longer return windows, e.g. ten or fifteen minutes apart rather than five.

They think they know about the hourly capacity. ;) What happens when the 'new ride smell' wears off and it is no longer as reliable as a two week old ride?

Imagine how people would feel if they got a fast pass, and the subs were down to half capacity due to maintenance issues? They'd be pretty upset to come back at their return time and then get saddled with a very rude surprise...

Then there is the issue of the return time itself... What happens if everyone gets their FP in the morning, and the return times are not evenly distributed as per the FP? Would folks be happy with the result? Would DLR be forced to re-evaluate the return policy?

And now I'm wondering how the policy of 'queue before closing' is going to work in the long term? As the ride starts to age, will there be enough time to maintain the subs in the window between last rider off the ride and the next day's opening?

Anyway, it's a very interesting idea, but in the end will the costs outweigh the benefits?

The old man
06-25-2007, 07:55 PM
We were talking about it over the weekend and came up with this novel idea: What about making the Subs FastPass-only?
I don't know how novel this idea is. On June 6th I posted--"...there should be a reservation system."

VickiC
06-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Also on June 6, I posted "If I was in charge, I would have made it Fast Pass ONLY, and only allowed people to return in their one hour window, no later."

Who posted earlier in the day? :-)

Andrew
06-25-2007, 08:33 PM
I don't know how novel this idea is. On June 6th I posted--"...there should be a reservation system."

Also on June 6, I posted "If I was in charge, I would have made it Fast Pass ONLY, and only allowed people to return in their one hour window, no later."

Whoops. I still think it's an idea with possibilities, even if I wasn't the first one to think of it.

Burnt Toast
06-25-2007, 09:05 PM
If common sense had a voice it would say probably once the off-season hits... which would be when kids go back to school?

VickiC
06-25-2007, 09:43 PM
But even then it is going to be like Peter Pan. The slow capacity nature of it means that it never be a "walk on."

As for the reservation system not working for people who arrive later... what if they relased the tickets in blocks? I suppose then, there would just be a line to get the tickets, which wouldn't be much better.

The old man
06-26-2007, 06:54 AM
But even then it is going to be like Peter Pan. The slow capacity nature of it means that it never be a "walk on."

Exactly.

SANDYMARIE
06-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Hopefully by Sept. 29th. ;)

seanutbutter
07-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Hopefully by Sept. 29th. ;)

I was thinking the same thing, except switch "Sept. 29th" to "August 6th". :D

PartridgeFam 2004
07-01-2007, 03:05 PM
I drove up from Palm Springs yesterday got into the park at 8:15 a.m. and there was still a 2 hour line that had formed already. I went up just to see the ride. I guess since I have a AP I will try sometime this year. Do they let people in early with early:mad: passes or what?

Seashellmama
07-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Before the old subs closed, I hadn't ridden them in years and years, because the line was always out-of-proportion with the lines in the rest of the park that day. I wish I had ridden it more! But I was just so spoiled with having spent my entire life going several times per year, pretty much always in the off-season, that if a line was more then 20 minutes, no way.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, I imagine the lines will come down to the 30-45 minute long ones I remember the subs always being during the winter, sometime this fall or winter.

BIRDGIRLS
07-01-2007, 07:12 PM
By 945ish this morning the line was 180 minutes long. =/

Doug
07-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Nemo Still Have A 3hr Wait Theses Days? If not, what is the average wait? I'll be back on 7/14-7/15 (yeah, two days in a row, crazy huh?)...

Doug

Doug
07-02-2007, 01:09 PM
As far as I understand it, most of the rides at DLR have a car/train/whatever spare, so they maintain 1 while the others run... so they always have at least 1 backup.... which reminds me, has anyone else seen when they put another truck on the Indy track, I was like "no way!", the wall just opens, and the truck comes out, surprise! Very cool ;)

Imagine how people would feel if they got a fast pass, and the subs were down to half capacity due to maintenance issues? They'd be pretty upset to come back at their return time and then get saddled with a very rude surprise...

shamrockshake
07-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Any one know how they are dealing with wheelchair/scooter folks? With Matterhorn you are supposed to wait in the line and then when you get to the exit you can go in with the wheel chair or scooter, but last time we were there folks would just scoot up the exit and let themselves in. Are they controlling this a little better for Nemo? I can see people renting scooters just to save time,

I was under the impression they were going to have the wheelchairs and scooters wait in line (mostly) until a certain point where they can transfer.

Just curious.