PDA

View Full Version : Will I feel lonely?

Pages : [1] 2

Claudia@BA
06-25-2007, 02:34 AM
I am a Mum of 3 (yes and I am English). We have been to Disneyland Resort twice and Disneyland Paris twice, we love DLR. Although I live in the north of England I work for an airline so can travel to USA reasonably easily.
I am planning to run a marathon before the year is out and have chosen the Las Vegas on 2nd Dec. I plan to fly to LAX and drive/fly to Las Vegas for the marathon (BA do not fly directly to Las Vegas). After the marathon I am thinking of travelling back to Anaheim and spending a couple of days/nights at Disneyland before flying out of LAX. My one concern is that I am doing the marathon ‘on my own’ and will be by myself for the days I am at Disneyland – the school year and my husbands work prevent the family travelling with me. Do fellow Mouseplant’ers think I might find the days at Disneyland a bit lonely by myself, will I feel like I have no friends and envious of the happy groups around me or is this a great opportunity to experience the Christmas season for the first time and a chance to unwind and enjoy a slower pace to the visit than I usually experience when with the family? - do you ever go to Disneyland by yourself and if so what are the high points and what are the low points??

yellowrosedtxn
06-25-2007, 04:12 AM
I have heard from both sides of the coin. I would love to experience Disneyland alone at least once. I enjoy going with my family, but it is sometimes a struggle when you have kids that want or don't want to do something and you either do or don't want to do it. I think you should go and enjoy yourself. Sometimes going alone you can enjoy the details more of the park that you might overlook when you are with family or others.

That is my opinion and one of these days I am going to do the park by myself!

danyoung
06-25-2007, 06:16 AM
I've visited the Disney parks as a solo traveller for many years, and am highly in favor of the flexibility you have when not making every decision by committee. There's so much fun to be had in a Disney park that you won't even notice that you're by yourself. It's fun to listen in to conversations in line or while eating (not really eavesdropping, you understand - just casually overhearing the buzz around you!). And your plan for the day can change at a moment's notice if there's an attraction or a show that interests you, or you find a line so long that it's just not worth it to wait. And with so many people around you, no one will even begin to notice or care that you're all alone.

Don't get me wrong - I also enjoy time spent there with family and friends. But travelling solo is a unique experience - I say go for it!

Rkkm
06-25-2007, 08:37 AM
I consider a day alone at DL and DCA a luxurious indulgence: I can do whatever I want, whenever I want! If I feel like going on Buzz Lightyear several times in a row, I do it. If my feet start hurting, I just sit right down at whatever spot strikes my fancy. If I get an urge for some peppermint fudge, I hike over to the nearest spot that sells it. If I want something stronger, then the balcony overlooking the water at Ariel's Grotto is my destination. If something in a store window looks interesting, I just dive right in and examine it. It is just such a treat to not have to be concerned about anyone else's wants or needs.

If you start to feel lonely, just sit down in a restaurant or go stand in a line and start chatting up the people next to you. People are so friendly at both parks. Or, if talking to strangers is a bit uncomfortable, just tuck a book in your bag, find a cool, breezy spot (on hot, sunny days) or a cozy one (on cool ones), grab something to sip on, and take a reading break.

Once you've had the treat of DL on your own, you will crave it!

MadasaHatter
06-25-2007, 08:59 AM
I have been to Disneyland MANY times alone. While being with friends and family are ALWAYS my best memories there is something amazing and magical about being there alone. You find out so much about the parks....here are my suggestions.

1) Take a WALK IN WALT'S TOUR or they may even have a XMAS TOUR.
2) Ride all the MAIN ST. vehichles. I do this with the gang too but when you are by yourself sit in the front seats and all the drivers are a hoot!!!!
3) Single rider lines!!! If you are alone you can bop up to the front of the lines on SOARIN' and CA SCREAMIN' ....maybe SPLASH??? Check it out.
4) Watch LOADS of shows as this entertains one and keeps the time flying so you don't notice you are alone....BILLY HILL, ALADDIN and the best is looking for all the little groups like DAPPER DANS and the FLAG CEREMONY is overtly American so you might find that quite interesting.
5) As an adult, it is lovely sitting in the bar in the NAPA ROSE with a great glass of wine and the best cheese plate I have ever eaten. THe bar in the lobby there is nice and a lot of folks recommend the LOST BAR too.
6) FANTASMIC priority seating is fun to do also since you don't want to spend the time alone waiting by the river.
7) Just because you are not a kid don't miss out on TOON TOWN. THe xmas tree there is AMaaaaaazing and I dig GOOFY SANTA over real Santa anyday. Love TOON TOWN at XMAS!!!
8) Opt for three sit down meals to take the time up and add to your leisurely pace. For example....light breakfast at CARNATION on MAIN ST. Pasta or salad at TRATTORIA in DCA with a glass of wine for lunch and Dinner at Napa Rose (if you want to spend big bucks)
9) The docent tour of the GCH is fantastic for adults and probably a crashing bore to kids....do that.
10) There is also story telling there by the fire and piano players all day in the lobby of GCH with a beautiful XMAS tree too and sitting and relaxing is something the kids tend not to do either....

Hope this helps and have fun and say hello to ENGLAND for me....I lived with pals in London for six months and LOVED your country. I miss it and my mates much!!!!

CHeers,

MAD AS A HATTER

Niwel
06-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Also, check out our going solo guide! (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=tp060829sl) :)

Bytebear
06-25-2007, 09:32 AM
I enjoy Disneyland alone. I do not like eating at sit down restaurants alone or going to movies alone, but most of Disney's food outlets are more cafeteria style, so I have no problem there. If you are one who doesn't mind spending the day alone, you will have a fine time. Also, take advantage of the single rider lines. No waits are a good thing. If anything, you can just sit on Main Street and people watch. I can do that for hours.

dawnid
06-25-2007, 09:49 AM
I really enjoy going by myself, I love my family and BF but its nice to just do what ya wanna do. I collect pins so I’ll occasionally take a morning and go on a treasure hunt for Snow White pins for my BF and Dumbo/Patriotic pins for me. I like to grab a dole whip and watch the Tiki Room show. Take a tour, the holiday tour is great and comes with seating for the parade, Welcome to Disneyland is shorter but really fun, Walk in Walt’s Footsteps is longer and comes with lunch. Do table service meals – Carnation Café, Steakhouse 55, Storytellers, Napa Rose are my favorites. Really look at the Main St. windows and just enjoy the surroundings.

You’ll have a blast!

emmah
06-25-2007, 10:27 AM
I've been to DL on my own a couple of times and had a great time. I agree with all the points made above, and wouild only add that it's actually a great way to meet people = they're so friendly, you can't really help striking up conversations in queues, waiting for the fireworks, attractions etc. Good luck with your training for the marathon!!

charpaul
06-25-2007, 12:26 PM
I frequently end up alone at Disneyland. I still have lots of fun! (but then I do not mind eating alone or going to movies alone either..)

You will be there for all of the Christmas Time/Holiday events - AND you will be able to choose whatever YOU want to do!!! You should go and enjoy yourself and your time at the Resort!
Do things that you might not do with your entire family. Sit and enjoy the Christmas at Disney atmosphere - listen to the Carolers - spend some time watching the show at the Reindeer Roundup - ride Small World Christmas as many times as you want to - take a tour (there is usually a special Christmas/Holiday tour) - watch the Christmas Parade and the Holiday Fireworks with SNOW!!

Pick up a couple of special items to take home (or ship home) for your family for Christmas!

I think you will be surprised at how going to the park on your own can be a very rewarding adventure!! All the decisions about HOW you spend the day are entirely up to YOU!! Hope you decide to go and give it a try.

jeffthechef
06-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Given the situation, why deprive yourself? Since your family cannot be with you, it is reasonable to take some time for yourself. Obviously, there is no place in the world where you could not be better served than Disneyland.:)

There is plenty to do when flying solo. Most important, you can leisurly take in all that DL has to offer during the Christmas period. People watching is one of the greatest pasttimes in DL. So, my advice is relax, go for it, take lots of pictures, and when you get back home, tell your family about how they must make a return trip together...Cheers!

Bytebear
06-25-2007, 03:07 PM
You're in a strange country with no friends or family around, what better place to be than Disneyland!

rojen97128
06-25-2007, 03:57 PM
I love going alone. Going to all the shows is a very good idea. One thing I've done is try and go on every single ride (unless I'm too tall) there is; it feels like you have a mission and you're not just wandering around alone. I'm always prepared to explain that I'm alone because my travel companions are sick, tired, etc but no one has ever asked. I usually have a few times where I wish a certain friend was there or my mother but then I end up loving the freedom of being on my own again. I've travelled there and stayed 3 nights in hotel by myself just to have a private Disneyland getaway. Try to think of it as an opportunity and not a scary-lonely thing...take a journal, buy a bunch of postcards and fill them out while eating a Dole Whip! Mmmmmmm. Cheers!

PanFan
06-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Here's another one in favor of flying solo. One time on a very busy Saturday I was able to do Tower of Terror, Monsters, Soarin', Grizzly River Run (twice), Mullholland Madness, Maliboomer, and Screamin' (twice) in under 2 1/2 hours taking advantage of the single rider lines (TOT and Monsters don't have it, but I was there at rope drop and did them first). I like to do Splash sometimes after work on a hot day using the only single rider line in Disneyland itself.

Hueneme makes a good point that it totally depends on your personality and what you are comfortable with. I was a bit nervous the first time I did it, but quickly learned to relish the freedom I had and am now totally hooked. Check out the guide Niwel linked to as well. Lots of good info there.

Claudia@BA
06-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Well thanks for all those positive recommendations. I did feel a little worried about going solo but really, as many replies have pointed out, it will be a luxury. I feel quite excited and wish I was going now and not having to wait 5 months – however that gives me plenty of planning time between the marathon training.

Niwel, thanks for the link to that super article you wrote, you make the solo Disney trip sound so exciting and just a liberating thing to do. It started me thinking about all the things in Disneyland I have not yet done because my kids think they are too boring/lame (Tiki Room being one) – solo I will just have myself to please. I am now even thinking of pushing the boat out and staying at the GCH, Madasahatter’s idea of taking the tour of GCH sounds great and that glass of wine in Napa Rose sounds enticing. I can’t wait to get there. And I guess you are all right that most people are so friendly and chatty and my experience has been that Americans are welcoming to guests in their country and love to talk to English people!
:D

Rapunzelthorn
06-26-2007, 02:00 AM
I would feel lonely. :crying: But, I'm happy for your opportunity. :)

WDW heart
06-26-2007, 06:33 AM
I do think you will feel lonely and strange to be without them. But, it will also be a great experience for you to do what you want without any constraints. I would definitely do it. :)

limace
06-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Man, I am so freaking jealous! Don't get me wrong-I can hardly wait to go there w/my family in a few weeks. I just am dying for some alone time right now (with work and two kids, one a toddler) that the idea of alone time in my favorite place in the world sounds like heaven to me. Have a blast! And congrats on the marathon-I'm very impressed!

codewoman
06-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I went on a trip alone a couple years ago and flew to Canada. I had a nice time, don't get me wrong, but Disney would have been a better choice. I would love to go alone -- in fact, I may just do that.

Heaven Is Disneyland
06-26-2007, 08:27 PM
I love going to the parks alone! I call those trips my Geek Girl Visits. It did bother me at first to tell the cast members that I was a party of one, but I got over it quickly. I am pretty outgoing and I usually tend to talk to people in line. I love just strolling around and looking in all the shops.

Everyone had such great posts, I agree with all of them. I LOVE THE SINGLE RIDER LINES! I love that they offer that! I love going on Grizzly River Run, by the time that ride has ended, I have usually bonded with everyone in the raft!

I went alone on my birthday and I had a ball! I bought an ice cream and sat on Main Street happy as a clam!

Claudia, please post after your trip and tell us what you did and what you thought about going by yourself.

JohnGar
06-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Claudia,

If you're going to be at Disneyland for more than one day, plan on doing the first day by yourself and maybe meeting up with Mouseplaneteers on the second day so you can meet some new "friends" and won't get the "lonely" feeling.

But it's up to you. Many MPers (and that's NOT an MP that you're used to) would love to visit Disneyland with a "foreigner." I would go just to listen to your accent. :D

danyoung
06-27-2007, 06:11 AM
It did bother me at first to tell the cast members that I was a party of one, but I got over it quickly.

I had that problem too, expecially when a restaurant seater would come into the crowded waiting area and go "Young - party of ONE!", and everyone looks up to see who the loser is! Now I try to get that in as I'm checking in, letting them know that this one person is a party unto himself!!!

I love going on Grizzly River Run, by the time that ride has ended, I have usually bonded with everyone in the raft!

I like getting onto the raft and looking around, then asking "OK, who's gonna get all the water?", and then let the finger pointing begin!

angelbabie611
06-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Has anyone ever been to Disneyland alone before? I thinking about doing it and I want to know if I'm totally crazy. If you have any tips or suggesstions it would be really helpful. Thanks.

Gone2Disneyland
06-27-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm been many times. As an AP, I used to enjoy just going for breakfast by myself and getting MM pancakes and lounging outside with the Rivers of America in front of me to start my weekend. I always bring my camera and look for new things around the parks I've never seen before and snap shots of them. It's also much easier to navigate amongst the crowds and likewise, you don't have to worry about someone in your group if you want to do your own thing. If nothing else, it'll be a new experience for you. :)

stan4d_steph
06-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Has anyone ever been to Disneyland alone before? I thinking about doing it and I want to know if I'm totally crazy. If you have any tips or suggesstions it would be really helpful. Thanks.I merged your thread with another asking the same question. See above for responses.