PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know? [Guests with Beaded Bracelets]

lauras5boys
06-22-2007, 09:43 PM
We were at DL last Saturday and there was a big group of people about the park wearing tons of beaded bracelets. It was obviously a specific group but I couldn't figure out what the bracelets were about.

hlbtimes2
06-23-2007, 08:47 AM
They were "ravers". Apparently they have an unofficial day, like Gay days or Bats day. I read about it on another board.

disneyperson
06-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Yes, it was Raver Day last week.

Rkkm
06-23-2007, 11:33 AM
What is a "raver" and why are beaded bracelets their insignia?

Missapsy
06-23-2007, 11:45 AM
a "raver" is just someone who goes to raves... raves are like all nite dance parties, where djs play electronic music of all sorts. they are still around here and there, but for a while they were very mainstream and you would find a lot more events of that sort all year long.

the people you saw were a specific type of raver, called a "candy raver" aka candy kids. that's why they were wearing those bead bracelets. it's part of their subculture; you make these dayglow bracelets (or necklaces, or any type of jewelery) to share with other people, and usually wear a lot of kid-type clothing (elmo, mickey, etc.) usually, ravers have a specific type of electronic music they listen to as well.

back in the day, i had quite a few candy bracelets myself :)

here's a wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_raver

Rkkm
06-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks!

yohomama212
06-23-2007, 09:11 PM
How do I find out about all these unofficial days at DL, I would have loved to see all the candy kids in the park! (Yes, even Mama still has some candy stashed away somewhere!)

Elizabeth

kikid
06-24-2007, 01:09 PM
We were at DL last Saturday and there was a big group of people about the park wearing tons of beaded bracelets. It was obviously a specific group but I couldn't figure out what the bracelets were about.
I was there last Saturday with my ds (15) and his friend. We saw these same people walking around, but it didn't stop with the plastic jewlery. Did you happen to see the guy wearing the 'booty' shorts with tights? It was a 'different' look, and they were getting plenty of attention. Oh well...whatever;)

lauras5boys
06-24-2007, 03:06 PM
I didn't notice that. But did you see the girl with the thong leotard on and net tutu over it? I was surprised Disney didn't kick her out. There was a little too much showing, IMO.

Missapsy
06-24-2007, 11:09 PM
How do I find out about all these unofficial days at DL, I would have loved to see all the candy kids in the park! (Yes, even Mama still has some candy stashed away somewhere!)

Elizabeth

this might help: http://www.candykids.net/

and here is a link to the cool flyer they made for raverday: http://events.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=events.detail&eventID=200478.01752

there might be another raver day this year

:)

kikid
06-25-2007, 06:19 AM
I didn't notice that. But did you see the girl with the thong leotard on and net tutu over it? I was surprised Disney didn't kick her out. There was a little too much showing, IMO.
actually I was wondering about the 'costume's'? Looks like the dress code is a bit more relaxed?:confused:

WDW heart
06-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Yes, it was Raver Day last week.

I asked my teenager about people who wear lots of bracelets. She knew right away what it was. (Of course). She loves bracelets, makes and wears tons of them. I wear the ones she makes for me. I asked her if she was a Raver. She said, Mom....Labels are for soup cans. :D