PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle Double Sonic Boom

Pages : [1] 2

karl
06-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Shoulda posted here earlier when I had the flightpath image
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/180637main_EDW219_mid.gif

The Space Shuttle Atlantis landed at Edwards AFB (Mojave area) today at 12:49 Pacific. The landing flight path was from the south along the San Diego - Orange County coastline.

The trademark double sonic-boom was well-heard down in the Irvine area.

Did any Disneyland guests hear the twin-boom up in the park today?

Bytebear
06-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Wow, I am in Irvine, and we thought someone had jumped onto the roof of our office building. It wasn't loud, but that's what we felt. Amazing!

KDR
06-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Shoulda posted here earlier when I had the flightpath image
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/180637main_EDW219_mid.gif

The Space Shuttle Atlantis landed at Edwards AFB (Mojave area) today at 12:49 Pacific. The landing flight path was from the south along the San Diego - Orange County coastline.

The trademark double sonic-boom was well-heard down in the Irvine area.

Did any Disneyland guests hear the twin-boom up in the park today?

I heard it here in La Jolla. We thought something had fallen on the roof! We went outside to see what had hit the cottage we work in. Then about 20 minutes later I read the report that the Space Shuttle had landed and put two and two together.

Shootingstaar
06-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Wow I only live about 60 miles from Edwards AFB and i thought it was loud but I had no idea it was heard all the way down there!

yohomama212
06-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Irvine resident here... I had just layed the older kids down for their nap and then sat to watch the shuttle land. I seriously thought something had fallen in one of the rooms upstairs and ran to check on the kids! You'd think that since I was watching the whole thing happen I would have been a little quicker to think it though!

Elizabeth

layflowers
06-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Heard it really loud here in Victorville. Made the windows shake! Good thing I had heard about it on the news, otherwise I would have freaked!

Shootingstaar
06-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Heard it really loud here in Victorville. Made the windows shake! Good thing I had heard about it on the news, otherwise I would have freaked!

Hi layflowers, I am a Victorville resident too!

layflowers
06-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey ShootingStar! Hot enough for ya? Was at DLand yesterday and everyone was complaining how hot it was... I just stood there, laughing to myself.

BIRDGIRLS
06-22-2007, 02:17 PM
I heard it too and we're in Trabuco Canyon.

ladodgerjon
06-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Wow!

I work in Hollywood and I dragged about a dozen co-workers atop a big parking structure here on the lot.

I gave them the whole explanation of sonic booms, why the shuttle makes TWO of them, and the complete run-down on the shuttle's flight path today and it's speed and altitude (yes, I'm a real NASA geek).

And then, we waited.

In the hot sun.

And, then...

NOTHING.

Absolutely no sonic boom here in Hollywood (at a location that should have been almost underneath the posted flight plan).

I've lived here my entire life and I have ALWAYS heard the sonic booms-- whether the shuttle tracked over downtown LA, or via the northern approach near Santa Barbara.

Whassuup?!?

Methinks the air temperature (hot) may have hindered the soundwaves carrying the booms to us here in town. I know my friends in the SFV (Burbank) didn't hear anything either.

Any engineers out there know why I didn't hear anything with a shuttle that was only about 50,000 feet overhead?

Shootingstaar
06-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Hey ShootingStar! Hot enough for ya? Was at DLand yesterday and everyone was complaining how hot it was... I just stood there, laughing to myself.

Haha yeah I was in my pool when I heard the boom! I'll be at DL on Sunday but and I am worried about the heat because when I'm here in the desert I try to avoid going outside. But that can't be avoided at DL!

karl
06-22-2007, 03:44 PM
ladodgerjon wrote

I've lived here my entire life and I have ALWAYS heard the sonic booms-- whether the shuttle tracked over downtown LA, or via the northern approach near Santa Barbara.

Usually that would be the track.

The approach on this landing was from the extreme south, over the coastline of San Diego, heading north, with a small jog to the east over the Inland Empire. The first post has a link to the path. Hollywood would be fairly far from the action. But new and special treat for the folks in south and east, like Anaheim.

Bytebear
06-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if when the astronauts disembarked, they said "I'm going to Disneyland!" and in conjunction with NASA, Disney puts in some Space Shuttle simulation attraction(s) in Tomorrowland? Imagine if NASA helped support Tomorrowland.

Andrew
06-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Imagine if NASA helped support Tomorrowland.
"Your tax dollars at work"?

Bytebear
06-22-2007, 04:44 PM
"Your tax dollars at work"?

Better spent on Disneyland that bovine flatulance studies.

Andrew
06-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Better spent on Disneyland that bovine flatulance studies.
Leave Congress out of this!

Bytebear
06-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Leave Congress out of this!

Such an offensive comment. If I were a cow, I would be really upset.

biolabetty
06-22-2007, 07:22 PM
We usually always hear the booms here in Santa Clarita too, but I didn't hear them today. Usually we hear them, I turn on the tv and the shuttle is just getting ready to touch down at Edwards. I wish I could travel that fast.

mi_mous
06-22-2007, 07:33 PM
That is what that was???

I thought it was our neighbor slamming the door really loud and hard. (Enough to shake the staircase.)

WOW!

It shook our house to the point I thought he was REALLLLLLLY mad about something, or something heavy got thrown against the wall.

Another Dimension
06-22-2007, 09:17 PM
The 12:45pm sonic booms were right on schedule. :cool:

They were heard quite well here... 3 miles from DL.

Beautiful landing!!!

:D:D:D

DaddyB
06-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Let me chime in that in Corona it was so concusive that it shook my patio door so much that it in turn hit the vertical blinds making THEM shake! I didn't feel it from the ground, but in the air all around me. That was probably the weirdest part. In southern california, we're used to being able to feel things from the ground, but this was just a concussion of air moving around, not earth (much).

very cool!

Another Dimension
06-22-2007, 11:37 PM
A small, fun to read PIC TR from the shuttle landing... :)

http://earthboppin.net/talkshop/geology/messages/41420.html

Greg in TN
06-23-2007, 03:02 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if in conjunction with NASA, Disney puts in some Space Shuttle simulation attraction

See Mission:Space attraction in Epcot. REALLY COOL !! :D

raych30
06-23-2007, 07:26 AM
Apple Valley resident, here. I honestly thought that a car had hit the side of the house. It was that loud.

Bytebear
06-23-2007, 08:35 AM
See Mission:Space attraction in Epcot. REALLY COOL !! :D

I thought about that, but NASA has also opened a new attraction at the Kennedy Space Center called Shuttle Launch Experience (http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/visitKSC/attractions/SLEpage.asp). It is basically a Star Tours type experience, but you are launched 90 degrees vertically and when you get to space and level out ...

The shuttle bay doors (roof) open up and you are presented with a space view looking at the Earth. It is supposed to be quite spectacular.