PDA

View Full Version : Is There A "Face" Character Clique?

ladodgerjon
06-21-2007, 03:14 PM
I had a former college chum that used to perform frequently at DL as a "face" character (eg: she didn't wear a mask). She spent nearly five years onstage as Snow White and Belle (B&tB). She was, in a word, a stunning beauty.

That said, I have always heard that the "face characters" are a snooty and egotistical lot that look down upon the rest of the costumed troops. I am told that cliques exist betwen those with exposed faces and the rest that sweat beneath layers of plastic and fur.

Is this true?

Any stories?

backsthepack
06-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Oh, I would hope not. Would sort of ruin the whole image of those people for me!
I must say, on the "beauty" note.....my husband and I have both commented on the people that dress as Mary Poppins on recent trips. She is always so stunning.

soccerlady16
06-21-2007, 06:10 PM
My DH was a cast member about 6 years ago, he says its true. They were stuck-up, not only the face characters but most of the dancers/performers also. Sorry to burst your bubble.

VickiC
06-21-2007, 06:18 PM
My aunt was a tour guide back in the 60's and says all the performers were very friendly. However, I think the tour guides were (still are?) the cliquiest clique there so she probably didn't even notice it!

Clotho
06-21-2007, 06:18 PM
That was actually an assumption I already held and had never articulated. Doesn't surprise me in the least.

spectromen
06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
It was very much a family atmosphere and all the princesses I knew were friendly to all. However, naturally the beautiful people hang out with the other beautiful people. Not really due to cliques, just nature. But at work you could pretty much go up to anyone from any "group" and be treated friendly. At least in my years in the 90s.

Burnt Toast
06-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Wouldn't be surprised. They get all the glory and fame... rubber heads don't. I wouldn't be surprised if it went to their heads.

The fact that some folks would be shocked by this is kinda funny.

lofosho
06-21-2007, 09:51 PM
While in DL over spring break, we had the misfortune to be waiting in line for an hour next to the girls from the High School Musical dance show. The were the pettiest brats I have ever heard in my life! They spent the entire hour talking about other girls in the show, and how fat and what horrible dancers they were, and just like the meanest things. I wanted to say something to them, but my friend stopped me.............

PanFan
06-21-2007, 11:23 PM
I have heard this, but don't have any personal experience to confirm or deny except that the one face character I "know" (as in introduced myself to backstage and now wave to whenever I see) is one of the nicest people I've ever met. A lot of people I work with know this person well and confirm that they really are like that outside of work as well.

Another Dimension
06-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Some people in Disney Entertainment are 'a bit too into themselves' ... as with 'some people everywhere.... and thru-out the entertainment industry'.

But many many of the Disney Entertainment CMs are not... and are quite pleasant, easy going and wonderful people offstage.
Tis very true! :D

Personally I'd say at least 98% of the Disney Entertainment people I've met over the years, and those I've come to know as actual friends... are not 'stuck up' or 'overly self-absorbed' at all.

The sweetie Mermaid I dated for 18 months, and her friends from work certainly weren't stuck up. We had some fun BBQs and bonfires.

What was really surprising for me to hear about is the amount of bad language that is uttered backstage, even by face characters and Santa Claus(!).... all of which never makes it onstage. :eek:

Tis just more magic.. I guess!
;)

WITron
06-22-2007, 05:45 AM
When I was a CM, I had one of the lowest position jobs. I was a custodial busser. One summer I worked at Plaza gardens and became friends with some of the entertainment CM's and we would hang out backstage. I also worked at Fantasyland theatre one summer and became friends with some of the actors in Beauty and the Beast stage show.

One of the funniest things that happened to me was one trip I went with a friend of mine. We were walking up Main Street and Jafar was out. He saw me and motioned me over. I knew right away who it was and went over. When I get over there, He asks me, "What's up?" I couldn't help cracking up.

swimmergirl
06-22-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure if it works the same at DL, but when I went on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour at the Magic Kingdom we were told that the face characters all had to do time in a masked costume before the played a face character. So, I would assume they would be fairly friendly to costumed characters having experiened the job themselves.

mistofviolets
06-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Don't forget that it isn't easy to pop in and out of character...it can take time for some actors to "get back" to themselves; and that in between period can make them seem snobbish or rude etc. I imagine face characters have it harder than masked characters because they are fully immersed in the experience, while masked characters do not have to verbally respond. Though, physically they have to act in character.

One thing that impresses me is the autographs...learning to sign in a similar fashion over and over must be tough! (esp with a mask on)

The Real Cinderella
06-22-2007, 08:44 AM
I have a degree in theatre and over the past few years have looked into auditioning to be (big surprise) Cinderella. Due to various reasons--weddings, deaths, graduations, etc.--I haven't been able to make it out there yet. I certainly hope they're not stuck up! It doesn't really surprise me (the theatre world is full of egos) but I wouldn't want to be considered snobbish. That is so sad!

kisroo
06-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Don't know about cliques but I *did* want to kick Jasmine's snotty behind when she snarked to my mom and I about my niece's pen while signing her book. Apparently, it was starting to lose ink or something and made it hard on her poor, wittle hands to sign her 7 letter name.

:rolleyes:

The rest of the face princesses were fantastic but Jasmine? Not so much.

Clotho
06-22-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure if it works the same at DL, but when I went on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour at the Magic Kingdom we were told that the face characters all had to do time in a masked costume before the played a face character. So, I would assume they would be fairly friendly to costumed characters having experiened the job themselves.

Actually, I would think this would support the feeling of a heirarchy in the ranks. You start "low" and work your way up, out of the masks. It is udnerstood that the face characters are coveted positions...

geoffa
06-22-2007, 01:11 PM
So basically working for Disney is just like any other job. There are those who think they are better than everybody else just because they have some dilllusion about their "role". It stinks. You are paid to do a job - so do it. Just because you think you get more hugs than the person next to you - that's pathetic. If any of my staff behaved in that manner, they'd find themselves out the door pretty quickly. Why can't people be part of the magic and accept they they are a team member? As for HIgh School dancers thinking they are superior...sheesh! They're in for a shock in the real world.
I can't accept that being Cinderella or whatever is any better than being the big cheese himself. To even contemplate this goes on at Disney makes me sick to my stomach.

coronado_g
06-22-2007, 10:32 PM
I've always wondered how much the face characters are paid. Anyone know?

rose7116
06-22-2007, 10:52 PM
We love the princesses, Alice and the Mad Hatter, Captain JS, etc..... in my home...

BUT none of these holds a candle to Mr. Mickey Mouse or his friendly counterparts Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, and Pluto. We will always hold these characters above the rest. The day isn't complete unless we run into these guys. We don't mind missing a princess or two. :p

geoffa
06-23-2007, 04:49 AM
As Universal would say: "If I have to kiss one more princess...."

Bolivar
06-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Picture that you are an awkward 13-year-old girl. You’re a bit of a dolt, not very funny or interesting, not much of personality. You are just in the background, one of many kids. But as the next couple of years pass, you suddenly are getting all kinds of attention. All the boys want to talk to you; the other girls want to be your friend. You are popular. You’re still a dolt, still not that bright. You realize that it is because you are beautiful, the most beautiful girl in your school. You graduate from school and still you get lots of attention because of your beauty. You love this attention, but you realize why you are getting it, so you are insecure about that beauty. You get jealous when another gets attention and you start to compare yourself to her. You think, “She isn’t so great...” Then get a job as a princess at Disneyland and there are lots of other beauties around and they are getting attention to. You eat up and feel superior because of the attention you get, but at the same time are insecure and jealous about the attention others get. You get catty; your insecurity leads you to talk about their flaws because you need validation.

I’m not saying that is the case with every princess nor am I condoning it. It is that that as ugly as it is, I understand the behavior. In fact, that need and craving of attention is likely what would draw someone like that to be a princess.

mistofviolets
06-23-2007, 10:21 AM
I was just thinking what a relief it would be not to be trapped under that mask or completely reliant upon your "handler" to communicate for and protect you.

The Real Cinderella
06-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't say the face characters are, as a rule, any more beautiful than anyone else. It's not like they stick the ugly people in a mask. A lot of it has to do with height. And the princesses just wear elaborate dresses. Often, their faces aren't particularly striking. That's not to say that I've never seen a gorgeous face character--I agree with the above that Mary Poppins is always a knockout, and I've seen an incredible Aurora or two--but it's not really that the pretty people get to be princesses and the ugly ones get to be chipmunks.

Another Dimension
06-24-2007, 11:01 AM
All of the Princesses have been under masks, at one time or another.

All of the Princesses in Animazement were under masks only just a few seconds after they were done playing their leading face characters parts, and some of them in & out a few times a show.

It's not really what character or role most people play, or in what show/parade/etc...
Or anything like the famous faces vs the rubber heads vs the face dancers, etc.

Any Entertainment attitudes... good and bad, you will find are mostly based on the individual herself/himself, not their temporary role or costume... or whether they performing at a meet & greet, in a show or parade.
Or even whether they are at DL, DCA, the Hotels or at the El Cap.

And really.. I think Disneyland Entertainment CM as a whole should be given the benefit of the doubt... all that heart and genuine inner and outer beauty & expressive real magic the Princesses have and doing most of it in close proximity with Guests.. off the stages and not in the parades... and performing face-to-face with tens of millions of all kinds of people yearly, isn't all just 'playing a part or filling a role'.

Those are very special people, with very special talents. Inside and out.

Actors, actresses and performers on Broadway, on TV and the movie screen in general absolutely do not put up with, or face, as many members of the General Public of all ages while performing.... in many of their entire careers onstage or onscreen.... as Disney Entertainment CM's put up with daily.

And that's just amazing. :eek: