PDA

View Full Version : Reality check me!

kristinhawk
06-20-2007, 03:26 PM
We are booking a last minute 4-day cruise out of Long Beach for the very end of July, and are debating adding on a 1-3 day d-land visit to the end (since it hardly seems right to be that close and not stop by...)

BUT -

We are super spoiled - we've visited in early November the last three years (will again this year) and the crowd level and weather have been just lovely. I've never even been to disneyland in the summer ever, DH did as a kid. We've done mid-may with no kids...

So - will we be able to handle summer weekend d-land? (2 adults, 3.5 year old, 1 year old, side-by-side double stroller.) What should I be aware/wary of? It would probably be Aug 3-5-ish.

Be honest - I think I can handle it!

Thanks - Kristin

cactusgirl
06-20-2007, 04:10 PM
If you plan well and have very low expectations of what you will really get to do, you will have a great time.

In the summer there are lots of entertainment options that are not available in slow seasons.

Have fun!

wwithers
06-20-2007, 04:13 PM
I just know it's stinkin' HOT in the summer...I'd still go though! :D

Bolivar
06-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Until last summer I had never been in the summer for the same gear of crowds. My daughter was scheduled for surgery last summer so I had taken a week off work and we expected to pay a couple thousandd in copays and deductibles. So, when the surgery was called off we took that time and mony and went to DL, We went the first week in August and there was no crowd at all. HM was a walk on, as was POTC. Indy had no line, TOT had no line. We were there on a Sunday through Wednesday.

The Real Cinderella
06-20-2007, 06:52 PM
You're from Glendale, you know how to handle heat. I wouldn't worry about that too much. You'll need about two days to accomplish what you can usually do off season in one. I have done both on and off season, and I personally prefer on. It adds to the atmosphere. Just be careful driving that double stroller and you'll be fine!

Bolivar
06-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Wow look at all my typos. I guess that's what happens when you post from a cell phone.

I still found it no more crowded the first week in August last year than I usually go off season.

sharkie90278
06-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I find Disneyland to be super crowded in the summers. I usually try and go on Sundays but even then, it's still pretty crowded. I end up at California Adventure where it's a lot less crowded. Of course, if you're in town, I would definitely try. I LOVE Disneyland! I just prefer to go during other times of the year when it's less crowded.

Koala Gurl
06-21-2007, 12:40 PM
I think it is all about your expectations. If you are prepared for the heat, it isn't that bad (and yes, compared to AZ, this will be nothing.)

If you are in a hotel on/near property, you can always take a break during the bad part of the day (IMO, from around 1 or 2, until 5 or 6).

Enjoy some of the off-the-beaten path type attractions (DD who is 2 1/2 has been wanting to ride the monorail for quite some time...we finally rode it on Monday, since there was no wait. She loved it!)

Then there are always fast passes & rider switch.

Like I mentioned, we just went Monday, and while it probably wasn't the worst day in terms of weather / crowds, it was still crowded and warm. We ended up at Ariel's Grotto for lunch at 2:20 and were there until almost 4:15. It was really nice to miss out on the hottest part of the day with a relaxing lunch (as relaxing as lunch can be with a 2 1/2 YO and a 9 month old.)

Finally, I even mentioned to my DH that despite the heat & crowds, there is just something different about Disneyland in the summer (is it the increased entertainment, being there in the evening / night??)

Oh, and not sure if this is an option for you, but when we were there monday, we brought 2 strollers instead of the SBS double, anticipating the difficulty navigating the crowds. It was actually nice to have the 2. My DD likes to walk some of the time, so in between some rides in a general area, we could just leave one stroller, and use the other for my 9 mo. old.)

Pat-n-Eil
06-22-2007, 08:15 AM
I think it is hit and miss. I've visited Disneyland at the end of June before (weekdays) and it was very manageable. We are doing the same thing in January, extending our cruise with a 2 day visit to Disneyland afterwards. It will be a weekend, but hopefully it won't be too bad at the end of January.

I'm a born and bread Sacramentan, so we get used to 100+ degree weather - 80s & 90s in the Park will be a piece of cake for us next week.

kristinhawk
06-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the honesty and the encouragement - we're going for it : )

See you if you're there Aug 3-5!