PDA

View Full Version : The Sad State of Cast Members

Pages : [1] 2

DisneylandKid
06-22-2002, 06:12 PM
Yesterday when I was about ready to use our Fastpasses for Space Mountain, the castmember who was managing the line informed me that the attraction was not working properly. However, he told me that, "It's broked," in a not-so-educated sounding voice. What is the CM image coming to when one says "It's broked?" AH!!

:)

Rallymonkey23
06-22-2002, 06:34 PM
That reminds me of the other night while riding the tram getting ready to go home the CM was going through his speal, he said,"Please remain sitted in your seats until the tram comes to a full and complete stop." Not only one time, but multiple times. I couldn't believe it!!

9oldmen
06-22-2002, 07:15 PM
And these are cast members operating trams, and a thrill ride, where there might be a risk to your safety, as opposed to someone serving food or sweeping up your trash.

Matterhorn Fan
06-22-2002, 07:24 PM
At Splash Mountain, I would have interpreted "broked" as being in character for Song of the South.

On the tram, well, "sitted" and "seated" sound similar, and I'd hope that it had something to do with me misinterpreting due to the fuzziness of the loudspeakers. But then again, I didn't hear it, so I can't say for sure.

Rallymonkey23
06-22-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
At Splash Mountain, I would have interpreted "broked" as being in character for Song of the South.

On the tram, well, "sitted" and "seated" sound similar, and I'd hope that it had something to do with me misinterpreting due to the fuzziness of the loudspeakers. But then again, I didn't hear it, so I can't say for sure.

It was for sure, without a doubt, what he said. Several people on the tram began to laugh at him. I couldn't resist myself to do the same. :D

PhilMP
06-22-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by 9oldmen
And these are cast members operating trams, and a thrill ride, where there might be a risk to your safety, as opposed to someone serving food or sweeping up your trash.

What are you insinuating? That Foods and Custodial CMs should be less smart than Attractions and other "glamorous" departments? :mad:

Phil

johnnyrad
06-23-2002, 06:47 AM
youre all min. wage retards as far as im concered:D

Gymgirl975
06-23-2002, 07:04 AM
I don' t think that they were saying stupid people should, or do work the custodial jobs at all. I think that they were saying when you see a stupid custodian, you may think, "Wow, that is one stupid custodian," and be done with it. If you see a stupid Character CM, same thing. But if the guy running Space Mountain is stupid, you may be in trouble bc he is operating important equiptment.

I, for one, have always been extremely pleased with the custodial staff at Disneyland. They are 30 times better than the custodial staff at any other park.

cemeinke
06-23-2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by johnnyrad

Looks like another busy day for the moderators :rolleyes:

coronamouseman
06-23-2002, 07:32 AM
In some seven years of holding an AP I have never encountered any Cast Members who were other than attentive, curteous and helpful if asked any question.

The only Disney staff members who are somewhat forceful in their demeanor (and they have to be because of the safety concerns) are those CMs staffing the parking structure - they are very direct in their implementation of whatever the parking plan is for that day and one can see why - if vehicles are allowed to park randomly or without order there will be dangerous chaos .......

Techie7
06-23-2002, 10:36 AM

While I am not a castmember I feel that every person working at Disney has a job and contributes to the magic and to safety. While the attractions opperators and characters may get all of the recognition, without the thousands of people working backstage and behind the scenes a day would not get off the ground. Someone serving food who is not paying attention has a much greater risk of putting public health and safety at risk since a mistake in food service would not show up for a day putting an entire days worth of customers at risk. Custodial helps to deal with keeping walkways free of trash and spills which keeps people from tripping/slipping. No matter what department or job, every castmember working at the Disney resort is important to presenting the magic. While some may have off days or care less then others each castmember and department is responsible for maintaining safety in the parks and contributes to its success.

Gemini Cricket
06-23-2002, 10:45 AM
I think the title of this thread is a little harsh. It implies that currently all CMs aren't up to par. I disagree. Of all the interactions I've had with CMs, there's only been a handful of problems I've had in my encounter. (Most of which were minor in hindsight.) I respect CMs now more than ever working here with guests at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. They have a tougher job containing 1000s of different moods and personalities a day.

DisneylandKid, I'm not sure if you are or were a CM, but maybe you should put on their shoes for a little bit. ;)

DisneylandKid
06-23-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
I think the title of this thread is a little harsh. It implies that currently all CMs aren't up to par. I disagree. Of all the interactions I've had with CMs, there's only been a handful of problems I've had in my encounter. (Most of which were minor in hindsight.) I respect CMs now more than ever working here with guests at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. They have a tougher job containing 1000s of different moods and personalities a day.

DisneylandKid, I'm not sure if you are or were a CM, but maybe you should put on their shoes for a little bit. ;) I really didn't mean anything by the title of this thread-- I completely agree with you that cast members have a very difficult job and they do it very well. I just thought it was a bit *funny* how the CM informed me of Space Mountain's state. I'm sorry if anyone took offense to this, but, like I said earlier, I do not at all want to say anything bad about CMs in general. :(

SpacedOutCM
06-23-2002, 03:44 PM
DisneylandKid -

After telling a lot of people that the attraction is not opperating, it gets to a point where we might just say "it's broke" becuase more people will understand that and so they wont have to repeat what they just said 2 seconds earlier. People do come up to us and ask if "it's broke".

Maybe it might be hard to understand if you aren't a Cast Member.

Rallymonkey23 -

Ummm...is there anything more stupid to complain about than if someone said sitted rather than seated?!?! give me a break! It means the same thing! As long as everyone understood, then it should be ok.

Gymgirl975 -

Stpid people aren't allowed to opperate Space Mountain

DisneylandKid
06-23-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by SpacedOutCM
After telling a lot of people that the attraction is not opperating, it gets to a point where we might just say "it's broke" becuase more people will understand that and so they wont have to repeat what they just said 2 seconds earlier. People do come up to us and ask if "it's broke". I understand "it's broke!" I was commenting on how the CM said, "It's broked." Sorry for everything that creating this thread has caused.

Rallymonkey23
06-23-2002, 04:12 PM
DisneylandKid - -Rallymonkey23 -

Ummm...is there anything more stupid to complain about than if someone said sitted rather than seated?!?! give me a break! It means the same thing! As long as everyone understood, then it should be ok.

I'm sorry if you took what I said the wrong way. I was not complaining... I was just telling everyone what happened the other night.

Quote ONE part of my post where I complained about the guy. I don't believe I did. ;) Give ME a break! It was only an observation. Take it for what it was.......

DisneylandKid
06-23-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23

I'm sorry if you took what I said the wrong way. I was not complaining... I was just telling everyone what happened the other night.

Quote ONE part of my post where I complained about the guy. I don't believe I did. ;) Give ME a break! It was only an observation. Take it for what it was....... I know how you feel :).

Ace
06-23-2002, 04:45 PM

The food/vending people work just as hard as the other CMs (except maybe the costumed ones, and the jungle cruise skippers).

Ace
06-23-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by johnnyrad

oh my god, that is so not cool! I'd yell at him, but I'm sure the moderators can sentence him to a fate worse than death....

"ACCOUNT SUSPENDED"!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

SpaceMTJunkie
06-23-2002, 04:48 PM
The Churro cart vendor is the most important person at Disneyland. :)

stinkerbell
06-23-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by SpaceMTJunkie
The Churro cart vendor is the most important person at Disneyland. :)

Oh? I thought it was the girl who ladles out my gumbo in NOS! ;) Mmmm mmm good! Love that gumbo!

johnnyrad had better be a CM with a good sense of humor or he's toast!

Disneylandkid, I'm not a CM (yet! I will be someday when I'm older and retired I hope!), but I found the title of this thread pretty offensive. Just my two cents. It's just seems to make a blanket statement about a group of hardworking people in our favorite place. Gotta be careful about that.

:)

Uncle Dick
06-23-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
It's just seems to make a blanket statement about a group of hardworking people in our favorite place.
Hardworking? Hardly working is more like it, and we get paid for it! Woohoo! :D

Ace
06-23-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Hardworking? Hardly working is more like it, and we get paid for it! Woohoo! :D

I thought CM's worked hard...... eh???

Rallymonkey23
06-24-2002, 01:21 AM
Stpid people aren't allowed to opperate Space Mountain

Ummmm. Yeah.... Ooookie dokie!! :(

justagrrl
06-24-2002, 05:42 AM
Poor use of the english language is something, I'm sure, we've all done from time to time. Those around you, that notice, are supposed to poke fun at that sort of thing, no?

Let's face it though, whether it's dland, the guy cleaning your pool, your hostess at a rest., it doesn't matter.

Someone speaks improperly and we all snigger...or feel sorry for them that they didn't get a proper education. The axed instead of asked thing gets tends to bother me. I'm hearing this all the time now....why why why?

At some point I'm going to *lose it and yell "no...please don't ax me...no...no..."

*actually, no, I probably wouldn't. But I think it every time it hear it used.