PDA

View Full Version : Why is Disneyland ignored

nvmom
06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
so often in advertising and such? For example, I get Parents magazine and there was an article shown on the front cover "Disney, What the Guide Books Don't Tell You." I opened up the mag and the read the article and it was all about Disney World. Same thing with TV commercials... always Disney World.

We live in Nevada so it isn't a regional thing. It's just interesting to me that the original park gets left out so often?

nvmom

going2disneyAZ
06-19-2007, 11:40 AM
More parks and more beds to fill equals more advertising dollars that need to be spent.

Niwel
06-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Target audience and size?
Most Disneyland guests are regional -- and most travel editors write for a national and international audience and figure WDW is so massive that more info articles are needed.

Bytebear
06-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Here in Southern California we have lots of comercials for Disneyland, particularly the Finding Nemo ride. The problem is they always show the WDW attractions, including the castle. Most non-Disney folks woudn't notice, but it really stands out when you live here. Same when you see a special on Disney parks. They show Soarin' at Epcot and barely mention DCA and nothing about how how it was developed for California and features the state in the film. They show Walt himself on autopia and give the impression that it is WDW, but we all know that isn't true.

cillydznygirl
06-19-2007, 01:37 PM
so often in advertising and such? For example, I get Parents magazine and there was an article shown on the front cover "Disney, What the Guide Books Don't Tell You." I opened up the mag and the read the article and it was all about Disney World. Same thing with TV commercials... always Disney World.

When I got my magazine and saw the article on the cover, I excitedly ripped it open. Even though I was disappointed it was based on WDW I still enjoyed reading the tips.

nvmom
06-19-2007, 02:22 PM
I enjoyed reading the article as well. I just thought it interesting that there was not one thing mentioned specific to Disneyland.

The problem is they always show the WDW attractions, including the castle. Most non-Disney folks woudn't notice, but it really stands out when you live here. My kids have noticed this as well...

I've got nothing against WDW, never been there but look forward to going someday. Just more than once I've noticed how slanted the advertising is. Maybe because I'm still pretty new to the Disney parks in general.

nvmom

disneyhound
06-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Target audience and size...WDW is so massive that more info articles are needed.

So, size does matter... :p

Darkbeer
06-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I was really surprised to read the latest "Family Fun" magazine, produced by Disney, and is sent for free to all Premium DLR AP holders.

Page 52 talked about "What's New at the Amusement Parks". They mentioned 5 new attractions. One was the Subs, but the other 4 were from other parks, 2 were Six Flags (Tony Hawk's Big Spin and Thomas Town) and Griffon at Busch Gardens Europe and Maverick at Cedar Point.

Glad to see they didn't JUST talk about Disney...

Mrs Mouse
06-19-2007, 05:08 PM
We live in Canada, and although we get more TV ads for DL than for WDW, the programming content of the Disney specials that we get up here is much more slanted toward Florida than California. If any of the travel shows on Canadian TV goes to visit a Disney park, nine times out of ten you can bet that it'll be WDW. I really don't know why this is.

Thank goodness for Mouse Planet, where there are other folks who want to talk about the original Disney park!

mariezp
06-19-2007, 07:23 PM
I live in Texas and have also wondered why I always see full page ads in the paper for Disney World but seldom ever mention of Disneyland. The same with commercials. It was especially interesting when they were running ads for the 50th but only running specials for DW. Most anyone I ever talk to that has ever been to either park has been to DW. It's okay with me... just maybe they will all go to Florida and leave Disneyland less crowded for me!

rose7116
06-19-2007, 08:31 PM
I notice the same thing on the Travel Channel. They always have specials about "Behind the Scenes of WDW....", "Best Kept Secrets of WDW.....", but never Disneyland. It bugs me. One night it was 3 travel shows in a row about WDW. They could have thrown one about Disneyland in the middle and removed one of the redundant shows. Whatever, I know how special DL is. I don't really need a show to tell me all about it. Does DL really need more people to show up? Crowds are crazy as it is. :-)

darph nader
06-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Up until 25yrs ago, they 'never' advertised DL in Tucson.Heck,when we lived in Santa Maria 40 some-odd years ago,the only 'ads' was the Wonderful World of Disney.But everyone is correct,the ads are 'heavy-handed' towards WDW.:rolleyes:

Koala Gurl
06-19-2007, 08:46 PM

We live in Nevada so it isn't a regional thing. It's just interesting to me that the original park gets left out so often?

nvmom

I thought the SAME thing when I saw my magazine (first thing I looked at.) I thought it was strange that they didn't at least put the Disneyland website so a reader could learn about both. Or even a "global" page for all Disney parks (is there one? I just go to Disneyland.com). :)

I notice the same thing on the Travel Channel. They always have specials about "Behind the Scenes of WDW....", "Best Kept Secrets of WDW.....", but never Disneyland. It bugs me. One night it was 3 travel shows in a row about WDW. They could have thrown one about Disneyland in the middle and removed one of the redundant shows. Whatever, I know how special DL is. I don't really need a show to tell me all about it. Does DL really need more people to show up? Crowds are crazy as it is. :-)

The Disneyland one was on not too long ago (but I had to use Tivo to search for it.) But yeah, DL gets one show, where I have seen one for each WDW park. No DCA one yet (that I have seen anyway!)

leota's necklace
06-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Up until 25yrs ago, they 'never' advertised DL in Tucson.Heck,when we lived in Santa Maria 40 some-odd years ago,the only 'ads' was the Wonderful World of Disney.But everyone is correct,the ads are 'heavy-handed' towards WDW.:rolleyes:

au contraire...I remember very distictly seeing the ads for Space Mountain's opening and the Electrical Parade when I was small (in Tucson)...that would have been thirty years ago.

And yeah, seeing Cindy's castle in Dl ads makes my brain shake.

kiki
06-19-2007, 11:16 PM
I am a Disneyland local and it sucks that our home park does not get equal or even slightly less tv time than WDW gets. The only time I saw DL on the Travel Channel was during a Great Hotels show, when she stayed at GCH. But that was the only DL show that I have seen.:crying: The way I see it is WDW might be the biggest, but DL is the original. But even though we get no tv time, we always feel that Walt Disney's spirit is looking down on us from the window over the firehouse:). Thats something that WDW could never say.

Another Dimension
06-19-2007, 11:46 PM
WDW has many many more empty beds to fill, many many more resorts and many more resort offerings at each of those resorts... that are quite often under-attended, many times of the year.
Especially under-attended for many of Disney's projections and estimates.

The DLR overall has much much less to offer, until you enter the parks... and most of the on-property beds are filled quite often.

DLR needs more on-property beds and more resort offerings, so the DLR is aiming at building hotels, DVC and expanding DtD... and WDW needs more of their beds filled, so they are specifically aiming at all potential Guests.

In every region.
And no matter how close to Disneyland, potential WDW Guests may be.

I get several WDW ads and offerings in the mail in Anaheim yearly, and/or if something is actually new in Orlando...

But I really don't wanna go to WDW, I wanna go to DLPR and TDR.
:D

nvmom
06-20-2007, 07:00 AM
I saw "Secrets of the Disneyland Resort" on the travel channel in March of 05.
I remember the date specifically because we'd just returned from our first ever trip. I've not caught a DLR special since then.

nvmom

doublewide77
06-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Well here's one person's humble opinion, take it for what's it's costs....

As someone who has been to both the FL and CA parks many many times. It just makes sense for them to pitch WDW vs. DL. WDW can use up your entire vacation week ( and dollars) and never leave WDW. In CA if non-locals come, then after 2-3 Disney days they will go visit other places.

Flying costs have gone down so much that if you are anywhere except the SW region, you can likely fly to FL for about the same cost as CA.

I'm now a SoCal local so it's great that DL is near by, but there is just no real comparision on size and stuff to do between the 2.

Also I'm just amazed how really packed DL gets, I haven't been to WDW since 2004, but doubt it gets as crowded. To me the only minus for FL is the very hot and humid weather.