PDA

View Full Version : car at Old Key West

Lfisher
06-19-2007, 09:49 AM
We are staying at OKW for 2 wks and just going to the disney parks and are on the DDP.I will not be cooking at all so we don't need groceries.Do we need a car?The resort looks huge and a far walk to the main building. I don't want to spend 400$ for the car to sit in the parking lot. I've never been there before so any help we is needed?
Laura

MinnieSummer
06-19-2007, 09:56 AM
OKW has in internal shuttle bus and if you don't mind waiting for it you'll be OK. Also, depending on where your room is, the walk to the main bldg. isn't that bad. However, if you get stuck at the end of the resort like we did, the walk is way too long. I ended up driving the car to go to the pool, get munchies, and to get breakfast things (warning: they don't have a fast food court, only a snack bar type place by the pool and it's the only place to get quick serve breakfast items). I wouldn't waste the money on a rental car though. Just request a room close to the main bldg. and reiterate the request when you go to check-in.

steamboatpookster
06-19-2007, 11:22 AM
We stayed at OKW a few weeks ago. It is very large. Two weeks is a long time and if you have a kitchen, you might want to consider a few items. There is a fridge in your room and you might want to consider drinks. If you plan on having a beer, be forewarned--it is $12 per six pack at the store at the resort. Also, you might want a car just to go to the local outlet malls. There is one very close to OKW that has a Disney "Character Premiere" store where everything is VERY cheap.

I can't imagine being on Disney property for two weeks without a car! We drive to all the parks and only took the bus once while we were there. That was all it took. No thanks! By the time the bus picked us up, we would have already arrived and parked and been at the gate.

disneygirl17
06-19-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't ever get a car at Disney. I can see the point of getting one but I just let Disney handling the transportation. It completes my experience. I use this wizard I found to help plan I love it!!!

http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/twiz.aspx

This calculates routes and times for transportation and might help in your decision.

GusMan
06-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Do you need a car? No.
Can it be helpful in getting to certain things faster? Quite possibly so.

For our next trip coming up, we are driving down so we will have our car there. We are planning on using it at least 1/2 the time. It ought to be interesting to see how it works out since we have mainly been a Disney Transport kind of family.

bellefan
06-19-2007, 12:07 PM
I have stayed at Old Key West many times before and you can definitely get around without a car. It can be a nice quiet walk to the main check in and "boardwalk" area or it can be hot and exhausting. If you're patient and used to the bus system you should be ok.

Though I heartily second the notion about renting a car - we always get one! Our first stop is usually the grocery store - if for nothing more than a case of water. You always want to stay hydrated in FL and I can't stand the taste of the tap water. Two weeks is a long time to be without a car - even if you got one at the very beginning or end of your trip for a few days. The time and money you save by driving yourself and getting off property (whether it be for food or souvenirs) can easily make up the cost!

wishiwasthere
06-19-2007, 12:25 PM
We always get one and for two weeks I personally think it is needed. We go to Walmart the first day and pick up lots of water and snack foods. We also do not bring any normal toiletries with us (ie: shampoo, conditioner, etc. etc) and buy them at walmart and throw them out at the end of our stay. We also drive to the parks because we do not want to wait for the bus on a really hot day.

bellefan
06-19-2007, 02:26 PM
We also do not bring any normal toiletries with us (ie: shampoo, conditioner, etc. etc) and buy them at walmart and throw them out at the end of our stay.

That's such a good idea - I do almost the opposite! As I get low on shampoo, hairspray, etc. I buy a new one for my house and put the old one in my suitcase - then I can finish it up on vacation and toss! Great packing ideas...

ericles
06-19-2007, 05:24 PM
we stayed at OKW for a week, and found that we didn't need a car. We walked to the main resort area and caught the bus most days - the walk isn't that bad, and we had young kids with us. the gift shop has enough supplies if you need a few basics.

We've always found the transportation to be more than fine, we like the transportation, and find it more convenient than getting in driving to each park. Makes it easier for us to just hop on the next bus...that being said, we've never been during a busy time of year with the boys - so the minimal crowds at the end of January might have something to do with our opinion of the transportation!