PDA

View Full Version : I Figured out ToT Capacity

LIMANDL4EVA
06-22-2002, 02:18 PM
I sat down and calculated the capacity for ToT @ DCA. Now this is the first time I have tried figuring out a capacity for a ride. This is considering the ride is 2 minutes, load/unload 1.5 minutes each, the WDW version has 4 elevators per side. With all this considered, I figured this out:

-1 elevator at load
-1 elevator at unload
-1 elevator in corridor
-1 elevator in shaft

Load- 2.0 Minutes
Unload- 1.5 Minutes
Ride Time- 2.0 Minutes
Total Ride Time= 5.5 Minutes
60/5.5= 10.9 TPH (Trips Per Hour)

22 People Per Elevator
4 Elevators Per Shaft

3 Shafts

10.9 x 22 x 4 x 3
2877 Riders per hour.
This would be on a day where ALL elevators are working, and there are no delays.

If this is completely off, please don't stone me, I was just trying to figure it out. Its just a guestimate.:D

JRob2k1
06-22-2002, 03:57 PM
Here is the only problem as I see it....DCA's version is only going to have ONE drop shaft compared to WDW's 2 seperate shafts.

Do you see what I'm getting??

Insiders all over the boards have confirmed that DCA will only have one shaft, for elevators to travel up and down. That's why there is a need for a third shaft in order to gain some sort of capacity compared to WDW's.

I dont think they can run 4 elevators in the DCA version cause it's not a complete cycle.

Example: WDW elevators go up shaft #1, move horizontally into shaft #2, drop down shaft #2. This can hold four elevators....

DCA - Goes up shaft #1 and drops down shaft #1!! With this setup, I can see no more then 2 elevators at a time.

Not knowing anything about the capacity, heck we dont even know of the elevators will hold more or less people, and can't tell if your numbers are close....but with you factoring in WDW's version, I think they might be off!

-JRob

Thomas
06-22-2002, 04:10 PM
I have never been of WDW version.

But what it sounds like to me is, we are getting Freefall from SFMM and they are just going to put a facade around it?????

Ace
06-22-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by JRob2k1
Here is the only problem as I see it....DCA's version is only going to have ONE drop shaft compared to WDW's 2 seperate shafts.

Do you see what I'm getting??

Insiders all over the boards have confirmed that DCA will only have one shaft, for elevators to travel up and down. That's why there is a need for a third shaft in order to gain some sort of capacity compared to WDW's.

I dont think they can run 4 elevators in the DCA version cause it's not a complete cycle.

Example: WDW elevators go up shaft #1, move horizontally into shaft #2, drop down shaft #2. This can hold four elevators....

DCA - Goes up shaft #1 and drops down shaft #1!! With this setup, I can see no more then 2 elevators at a time.

Not knowing anything about the capacity, heck we dont even know of the elevators will hold more or less people, and can't tell if your numbers are close....but with you factoring in WDW's version, I think they might be off!

-JRob

I thought that the DCA version was going to have more shafts than the WDW version....

JRob2k1
06-22-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Squinky

I thought that the DCA version was going to have more shafts than the WDW version....

DCA will have three drop shafts compared to WDW's 2.....BUT, BUT, BUT, WDW's has four shafts in "the back" of the tower for the sole purpose of show scenes and moving the elevators up.

DCA's version will not have this, so they cannot cycle as many elevators, hence the reason for the third drop shaft!!

If you want to get technical....MGM has a total of 6 elevator shafts. 4 to go up.....2 to go down!!

DCA will have three TOTAL!

-JRob

Ace
06-22-2002, 04:29 PM
waaaaaaaait, so we miss out on the show scenes and get the drop?

JRob2k1
06-22-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
waaaaaaaait, so we miss out on the show scenes and get the drop?

From what I've read, the show scenes will still be there.....the only thing missing in DCA's ToT will be the lateral movement!

Basically, you start at unload.....the ride moves backwards so it "lines" up with the the drop shaft.....you go up and see a show scene.....you go either down or up(not sure) and see another show scene.....then there is the drop. This all takes place in ONE shaft!!!

-JRob

LIMANDL4EVA
06-22-2002, 05:25 PM
ok...so where i was confused was that i thought there were as many drop shafts as there are 'up' shafts, so can somebody maybe draw a diagram of what they think it might look like with how many elevators there are
I heard that the DCA version will have 3 drop shafts
GEEZ THIS IS CONFUSING!!!
SO MANY SHAFTS

LIMANDL4EVA
06-22-2002, 05:26 PM
Sorry I wrote this twice and cant delete it!:rolleyes:

JRob2k1
06-22-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by LIMANDL4EVA
ok...so where i was confused was that i thought there were as many drop shafts as there are 'up' shafts, so can somebody maybe draw a diagram of what they think it might look like with how many elevators there are
I heard that the DCA version will have 3 drop shafts
GEEZ THIS IS CONFUSING!!!
SO MANY SHAFTS

I'm sure I didnt help your confusion....:) It sounds perfect in my head.

So here goes....

DCA's ToT will have 3 drop shafts
MgM's Tot HAS 2 drop shafts

What separates the two is the lateral movement in the MgM one...To achieve this, there is a seperate shaft that elevators move up in....they then move foward into the drop shaft and commence the drop sequence.

DCA's version will not have this lateral movement....One shaft for the whole ride!

Can someone else explain it better then me?? Or have a hand-drawn picture they can scan?

-JRob

WizKidRyan
06-22-2002, 07:44 PM
http://www.tower-of-terror.com/

should answer any questions anyone has about the WDW version of the tower :)
now let me try ;)

WDW has 4 shafts that go up in a 2+2 configuration, Elevators 1/2 and elevators 3/4. Elevators 1/2 go up their shafts, at separate times, and once at the top move forward into drop shaft 1. Elevators 3/4 go up their shafts at separate times, and at the top move to drop shaft 2. Once at the bottom of the shaft, they move to unload, then back to their load shafts. Confused? :-)

Now, DCAs version, as I understand it, will have 3 shafts for up and down movement. You load into the elevator, go up to the top, watch your scene, etc. then you drop down the same shaft back to the load area.

LIMANDL4EVA
06-22-2002, 08:07 PM
so the DCA version will have 3 elevators total?
one per shaft?
man that sucks! there will be no lateral movement? i heard that was the best part of the ride.
so then with 22 people per elevator, and the ride/load/unload time being 2 minutes?
equals 1980 people per hour

im gonna work on getting a diagram for WDW version and compare it to DCA version

WizKidRyan
06-23-2002, 12:25 PM
The lateral movement was cool, yes, but I felt that the special effects were even more awesome :-)
And the theming took the cake. *nothing*, not even Disney Seas, imo, could hold a candle to Tower of Terror's themeing

MickeyD
06-23-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by WizKidRyan
And the theming took the cake.

And all this time I was blaming the Bellcaptain for taking the cake. :D

HTHBellcaptain
06-23-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD
And all this time I was blaming the Bellcaptain for taking the cake. :D

No, I was the one trying to hold up a candle, but if someone is offering free cake, I certainly won't turn it down.

ahecht
06-24-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by LIMANDL4EVA
so the DCA version will have 3 elevators total?
one per shaft?

No, the elevators will have lateral movement to transfer from the drop/show shaft to the load/unload shaft. Each shaft can therefore hold three elevators (load, unload, and show/drop) or 9 cars total. However, it is even possible to get four cars per shaft with this setup, if you have two load doors per shaft. you'd have one car loading, one unloading, one transiting between load and unload, and one in the ride shaft. This way, there would always be a car loading, and capacity would work out pretty high.

Basically, a car would dispatch every n seconds, where n is the ride time in the drop/show shaft, not cycle time. If the ride time is 3 minutes (I am assuming only 15 seconds are cut off from florida), that is 60 cycles per hour for all three shafts. At florida, when each elevator is dispatched, you have to wait for the doors to close, the next car to move from unload to load, and the doors to reopen before loading, and you have to finish loading before you can dispatch, so a new car enters each shaft about once every 2 minutes (assuming about 1.5 minutes to load and 30 seconds between doors closing and opening). This also gives a capacity of 60 cars per hour. Shave a little more time off the DCA version, say an extra 10 seconds by lifting the elevator faster, and you've increased capacity. This is only cutting 25 seconds from ride time, which is less than a 12% cut, and those 25 seconds could be made up for by having show elements in the transitions between the load/unload shafts and the drop/show shaft.

To make a long story short, it is possible to have higher capacity and almost the same ride length on both the DCA and MGM versions.