PDA

View Full Version : Nemo Submarine Voyage [Ride Report]

testrack
06-18-2007, 07:12 AM
It is possible that my husband and I need to have our heads examined.

We decided that we would shoot for the Grand Opening of the new Nemo Submarine Voyage on June 11th and try to get one of the Grand Opening pins.

Plans: Because they were handing out wrist bands at Disney's Pin Traders in Downtown Disney at 5:30am are plan was to get up at 3:30am and be at Downtown Disney by 5:00am and then head over to the park in hopes of getting to ride the new Nemo Submarine Voyage.
Events: Alarm goes off as planned at 3:30am, but I woke up at 4:41am. Hint in setting the alarm if you want to wake up on time, TURN UP THE VOLUME.
Ok so after mass confusion in the morning we make it to Downtown Disney there are probably 50 people already in line for the pins and we manage to get our wrist bands and the pin with no problems.
I head over to the park while my hubby has to move the car from Downtown Disney Parking to the Disney Structure.
The line to get into the park was ENORMOUS I was shocked, but not half as shocked as I was when I found out that the Nemo Submarine ride was not going to open until noon the good ole media had dibs first on rides, promotions and opening ceremonies....whatever.
The line started immediately to ride the submarine, estimated wait time 5 to 8 hrs. "ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME" So our thoughts were "abandon ship/sub/vessel"
Needless to say Opening Day was a bust for riding the ride.
We then attempt to ride the subs on Father's Day. Got to the park prior to opening headed over to the subs and the line was already on the other side of the Matterhorn heading for Small World, wait time 2 1/2 hrs.+. At this point frustration has set in with the major attitude of I did not get up at 5:30am to abandon our plans again so we stuck with our plan and waited in line.
Summary: The ride was ok, not worth the 2 1/2 hr. wait. It was a weird feeling getting back on the subs and remembering things from almost 10 years ago. Images flash back in your head and the memory of how cozy it is along with snot covered windows from the previous riders was something I did not miss. (I would like Disneyland to hand out wipes but I know people would just throw them on the floor of the sub which would make things worse.) Colors of the undersea are great and the imagineers are fabulous.
I would ride again after the hype of the subs goes away. I think I would ride it later in the afternoon or on a cloudy day as the sun definitely washed out the colors in the main lagoon.
I think I would wait no longer than 40 minutes to ride the subs.
All in all there was really no disappointment with the ride, just the wait times for this excursion.
I think Disneyland has a good thing going and I am pleased with the continuing additions to the park.:p:p
To view pics you can go to http://www.myspace.com/disneytravelers.

Bytebear
06-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Mental note: Take antibiotic wipes next trip to Disneyland.

JookyG
06-18-2007, 01:59 PM
You should have stood in the pre-opening line, it was a blast! The attraction opened promptly at noon, so if you were in the queue over by Small World by 8:30am, the wait would have been less than 4 hours. That may sound like a lot, but waiting in that line was a TON of fun. Spirits were high, the day hadn't gotten too hot yet, television cameras were everywhere--especially since we were standing near the group in matching shirts that everyone wanted to interview. The yellow submarine monorail was right overhead part of the time. The Jamitors came over and entertained us for a while. As the main queue opened up, there were Cast Members giving us all high-fives and a reporter lady trying to get sound bites as we filed past. Mickey's friends were everywhere--I saw Chip & Dale on the platform next to the Matterhorn, and Donald wandering around elsewhere.

I was in the first set of two subs to go out, aboard the Nautilus, and as we emerged from the boat after the ride, everyone was cheering. It was very cool. And since I've been waiting 9 years for the ride to come back or the lagoon to get filled in, it was also very emotional for me. I have really great memories of the old subs, but I'm pleasantly surprised at what a nice, thoughtful and visually stunning update the ride got.

All in all, I'm very very glad I was in the park at 8am and waiting in that line. It was well worth it! I probably wouldn't have wanted to wait in line later in the day, even if it was only 2-1/2 hours.

IdahoMike
06-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I was having fun watching the people stand in line, knowing that I had already gotten to ride it on Friday on the preview day :D
Still, I think most everyone knew what they were in for, and it was publicized in advance (Darkbeer?) that the ride would not be open until at least 11 am, due to press events, and the crowds seemed to be having fun with it. I didn't really notice any frustrated people, or unruly behavior. A pretty good day, considering the amount of people in the park.

testrack
06-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I am glad I went on the submarines. It also brought back great memories and yes it was time for the subs to come back and I am glad they brought them back and not put something else in that spot.