PDA

View Full Version : WDW Transport [Merged]

garethanders
02-20-2007, 09:54 AM
As me and my family are going to the world in August we are hoping to make some ADR's for various resteraunts in various hotels.

We are staying at the ASMo resort and was wondering how we go about getting the transport to certain places like the AKL would we have to go via downtown disney to most places or do buses go from resort to resort

Thanks in Advance

Garethanders

bradk
02-20-2007, 09:58 AM
no buses go between resorts. you would have to find a common place (like DTD) if you wish to use just the transportation. keep in mind that in addition to DTD, parks are also an option. for example, to keep it as simple as possible, if my destination were AKL, i'd probably take a bus to DAK and then get the AKL bus from there, my rationale being that AKL is so close to DAK that the bus probably wouldn't be any more than 10 mins or so to wait for most of the time and the ride would be even shorter.

Greg in TN
02-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Check out www.ourlaughingplace.com ... In the "More magic" tab they have a "transportation wizard" that will not only tell you the estimated time it will take to get from place to place, but also the two quickest routes -- ie, bus to monorail, or bus to bus, etc. .. FYI, this site not only calculates Disney transportation, but will also figure in taking a cab or driving your own car (if that happens to be one of the two quickest alternatives).

geoffa
02-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Direct link:

http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/twiz.aspx

Drince88
02-20-2007, 03:13 PM
I generally go directly from a park to whichever resort I'm going to for dinner. In that case, I just get on that resort's bus instead of my own. After dinner, either through DTD, a still open park, or, if I'm not feeling like dealing with a bus transfer, get a taxi. I think most of the deluxe resorts (where you're most likely to be going for dinner) have taxis waiting. Last couple of trips I've used taxis a few more times then before, and it really was a little bit of a nice break, especially after a nice relaxing dinner.

lbedell
02-20-2007, 06:38 PM
For those of you who have stayed at WDW, how is getting around? I have read that some hotels only have buses (actually a majority it seems) and I don't hear too much negativity so it must not be too bad. :) How is going to dinner at a hotel you are not staying at - does it take a long time? For example, if you are staying at the Port Orleans and are going to dinner at the Polynesian, what would be involved?

Anyone have opinions on staying off-site disney?

I know WDW is huge, but for someone that hasn't been there, it's hard to understand how huge and how you get around. Any info would be great!

Leah

GusMan
02-20-2007, 07:04 PM
since these threads were merged, take a look at the links above which can show you how you can get from one place to another. Using Disney transport is really good in the vast majority of cases. However, it does take some time and patience if you are trying to get from hotel to hotel for certain meals.

With a little pre-planning in your on-campus travels, it can really be a breeze.

If you do stay off site, from a transportation perspective, a rental car is pretty much a must.

Greg in TN
02-21-2007, 07:21 AM
I know WDW is huge, but for someone that hasn't been there, it's hard to understand how huge and how you get around. Any info would be great!

Every time we've been we've used Disney transportation extensively. In fact one time when we did drive, we parked the van when we got to our resort and did not get in it again until we were packing to leave.

I think Disney transportation is very convenient. The wait for a bus may, from time to time, be a little longer than you'd like, but I've never encountered anything unreasonable.

There are some who say they can get where they're going quicker all the time by driving themselves. I say that when I'm on vacation, I'll sacrifice a few minutes here or there to let someone else do the driving ... ;)

lbedell
02-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the reply! I am new at this and missed the earlier posting. :-)

hbquikcomjamesl
02-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Given that I'm used to not driving on vacations, and depending entirely on buses, trolleys, cable cars, subways, el's, commuter trains, and shoeleather, I'm always happy to "sacrifice a few minutes here or there to let someone else do the driving."

Besides: a vacation is supposed to be a time to relax and take it easy. To slow down. Waiting for buses, trolleys, cable cars, subways, el's, commuter trains, monorails, ferryboats, and the like FORCES you to slow down, relax, and take it easy.

TTFN92
02-21-2007, 09:43 AM
We had never been there before our trip at the beginning of the month. I also had a hard time imagining how big it is. I had also studied maps of WDW so I thought I had a pretty good idea of where things were, but I was totally confused. For one thing, the trees really confused me. Being from AZ where there aren't trees except what has been planted, I had a hard time figuring out where I was because you can't see anything around you except trees. While we were on the bus I would occasionally catch a glimpse of a park or resort but couldn't really see anything. If you are used to that it might not be a big deal, but to me it was really strange. I was also surprised to see that all the roadways looked like regular highways. I don't know what I expected, but that was not it. I was also surprised at how far away the entrance to the MK was from MK. When we passed it we just kept driving w/o seeing anything. I kept expecting to see the castle, but I couldn't because of the trees and how far away we actually were from the MK.

One thing to remember that I didn't at the time, is that if you are at a park and want to go to DTD, then you need to go to a resort and then get on a bus to DTD. We were leaving Epcot and wanted to go to Disney Quest. After finding out that we needed to go to a resort first, I was glad that I knew enough about WDW to not go to AKL ;) . We went to POFQ, which I would love to stay at, it's beautiful, and then to DTD. One of our longest waits was at DTD trying to come home. We waited for a long time watching all the other resorts (we stayed at POP) have multiple buses come. We found out that we were the second stop and the buses kept filling up at the first stop.

For a first trip, I would definitely use the transportation. It was really great. There were only a couple of times that we had a wait. We have 4 boys and even had a double stroller. We had heard that it would be a pain with a stroller but it wasn't. I'm so glad we had our own.

garethanders
02-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Anyone have opinions on staying off-site disney?

Leah

Hi lbedell

i started this section to find out about some transport and issues while staying at a disney property which i will be doing for my first time in august. Thankyou for question that i had forgot to ask but as for the one about off site i hope i can help you.

My previous trip to wdw and orlando we stayed off site on internationl drive, most of the hotels in kissimee and the I-DRIVE area have their own shuttle buses for guest at the hotel, to take them to WDW seaworld and Universal, some ever to busch gardens Tamper Bay.

These can sometimes be good and bad in my opinion. The times that they pick up are resonable means you can have breakfast and still catch the (Usually 2/3 pick up times for each park) Then they take you to a destination either EPCOT / MAGIC KINGDOM if you want to reach other parks then you may have to use disney transport from them parks to say AK or MGM.

And also you are goverened by pick up times so some hotels may say that they pick up from epcot at 8pm and 10pm so if your in MGM and you have to be picked up at epcot you need to make sure your on time so have to leave about an hour before Pick up Time.

When i was their i used now and again a taxi but these can get expensive if useing them all the time.

As for transport in kissimee and I-Drive its great you have the I-DRIVE trolly which i think is a doller to ride or even $8 For the entire week. Plus a regular bus service.

Hope this help and you can understand it

efoxx
02-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Direct link:

http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/twiz.aspx
just as a side note the listed way is not always the fastest, even the alternate way is not always the best. case in point, I put in BWV to AKL, and it came up with boat to Epcot, bus to AKL. can't be done without entering Epcot and walking through to the main entrance. the alternate route looked fairly good, bus to BB, bus to AKL. but the best method wasn't even mentioned, boat or walk to MGM, bus to AKL. so explore alternates when asking. also time of day really matters, you cannot easily go through a stop that may be closed, like a WP late at night, early in the morning or DTD early in the morning. sometimes the fastest way may be out of the way. like for Breakfast at AKL in the morning from AS may be to take a bus to epcot if it's on EMH mornings, then bus back to AKL.

danyoung
02-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Waiting for buses, trolleys, cable cars, subways, el's, commuter trains, monorails, ferryboats, and the like FORCES you to slow down, relax, and take it easy.

You & I have talked about this before, James, & I know we have differing opinions. For me, waiting for a bus FORCES me to get itchy and stressy and impatient, knowing that in the 20 minutes that I've been waiting for a bus, I could have been there in my car. I ALWAYS get a car, even though I don't always use it (a bus to DTD makes the martinis go down smoother, for some reason!). I don't have a problem with slowing down, but I want to do that IN the parks, not at a bus stop waiting to get there.

garethanders
02-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Can someone also give me some information about what times the transport and buses start to run at the world i will be staying at the ASMov resort in August / sept

stan4d_steph
02-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Although it was frustrating at times to use the onsite transportation, I prefer to use it as a way to cut down on gas use and emissions from personal vehicles. Since it's not practical to do so in my daily life, I feel a little better lessening my impact on the environment that way.

Drince88
02-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Can someone also give me some information about what times the transport and buses start to run at the world i will be staying at the ASMov resort in August / sept
I believe they generally start running an hour or so before the park opens. If you have an early ADR, check with Guest Services at the resort to determine how to get where you need to be.

GusMan
02-27-2007, 07:07 AM
I believe they generally start running an hour or so before the park opens. If you have an early ADR, check with Guest Services at the resort to determine how to get where you need to be.
I just wanted to echo what Drince said. Every once in a while you hear "horror stories" on how it was hard to get to early ADR's at the different parks. Checking with Guest Services the night beforehand will help you plan out your morning so that you can be as on time as possible with no frustration.

garethanders
06-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi Everyone

You have all prob heard this before but can you tell me what time the WDW Transport buses start to run and what time they finish, got early reservations one morning and wanted to know if we could catch them or get a taxi

Thank you

D2000lands
06-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Normally, the buses start running to the parks one hour before park opening, and run for about an hour or so after park closing (one hour or so after the evening EMH closing when appropriate). However, if there are still people waiting for buses after that one hour time frame, they will generally keep them running, only until noone else is in line after 1 hour from park closing.

This is generally how they operated when I was in there in October. It may be a bit different if going during the peak season (summer).

I hope this helps. :)

GusMan
06-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi Everyone
You have all prob heard this before but can you tell me what time the WDW Transport buses start to run and what time they finish, got early reservations one morning and wanted to know if we could catch them or get a taxi
Thank you
garethanders, I merged this with your original thread regarding WDW transport. And with a little humor - I think we heard this in post #15 in this thread. :)

garethanders
06-18-2007, 04:11 AM
Sorry Gusman

Me and my Memory aint waht it used to be

GusMan
06-18-2007, 05:47 AM
No apologies necessary - it happens to all of us. :)