PDA

View Full Version : Well, I got hired.

Pages : [1] 2

mikotorocks714
06-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Any CM's on here? If so, can you tell me what to expect at Traditions?

Thanks!

Niwel
06-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Congrats on the new job! If you poke around cast place, we have several stories about traditions orientation (there's a link in my sig.)

mikotorocks714
06-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Congrats on the new job! If you poke around cast place, we have several stories about traditions orientation (there's a link in my sig.)

Ah, yes! How different do you think WDW's Traditions is to Anaheim's Disneyland Traditions though?

Thanks a bunches!

Niwel
06-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Hmmm... the basics are very similar (what makes a Disney park cast member) ... but obviously touring around on stage might take longer.
What position were you hired for?

mikotorocks714
06-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Hmmm... the basics are very similar (what makes a Disney park cast member) ... but obviously touring around on stage might take longer.
What position were you hired for?

Third shift custodial. Can't wait to help keep the parks clean for us Disney lovers. :P

Pat-n-Eil
06-15-2007, 12:49 PM
What is the third shift? Is it like midnight to 8:30 am?

Niwel
06-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Hmmm....
Well, you won't have usual guest interaction -- but they will probably put you on grad nights and other "into the night" functions. But you will also be in charge of making sure that the first-thing-in-the-morning guests have a sparkling park. And they might let you pick up extra shifts earlier in the day (if you want it).

mikotorocks714
06-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, can't wait. Last Thursday morning we had a tour of Disneyland after hours to see what the custodians do, and also to see if we could handle it or not. And it was awesome seeing Disneyland this way, but I'm not sure if I should say much to avoid ruining the show. However, what I can say is that it was weird seeing Star Tours with the lights on and knowing how it should look like with the lights off (guest lights on.)

mikotorocks714
06-15-2007, 12:58 PM
What is the third shift? Is it like midnight to 8:30 am?

Yes. :)

Doug
06-15-2007, 12:59 PM
I am curious... do they only hire young people for tour guides? Me and my friend who go to DLR together (most of the time) have thought that, being a guide would be a good job once retired..... certainly wouldn't want one of the high stress jobs.... what do cast members make any ways?

Niwel
06-15-2007, 01:01 PM
I am curious... do they only hire young people for tour guides? Me and my friend who go to DLR together (most of the time) have thought that, being a guide would be a good job once retired..... certainly wouldn't want one of the high stress jobs.... what do cast members make any ways?

Hey doug,
if you checkout disneyland jobs (disneylandjobs.com) they break down the payrates. :)

I've seen older tour guides (I think there are several factors that go into the position).

Tinkermommy
06-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Although you might not have the usual guest interaction, I just want to say that one of the best Disney experiences we had came from a custodial CM! It led to me writing my first ever CM compliment -- a multi-page letter.

We were celebrating my daughter's birthday. It seemed like everything that could go wrong with our time in the park that day did. We even encountered some guests who were SO rude and selfish that they seriously impacted our day. One man was so mean he made my daughter cry. We considered just going home, but we had reservations at the Disneyland Hotel.

We had never gone through the leftmost door of Indiana Jones (the future), so we decided to just ride Indy over and over to see if we could get through that door. We rode repeatedly, and it didn't happen. On the way out after what we thought would be our last time that night, we encountered a custodial CM. I don't remember how we got started chatting with him, but he ended up taking us back in the queue, showing us the elusive Eeyore parking lot sign with his flashlight, and pointing out other interesting things. Indy is her favorite ride, and he spent quite a bit of time talking with us about it.

Energized, we went on Indy again and lo and behold, we saw the future! We ran into the CM again on the way out and told him what had happened. He was very happy for us, and I swear, I thought he had some sort of magical switch that he pulled to finally make it happen.

The point...keep in mind that you don't have to be a VIP tour guide to make a guest feel special. A custodial CM managed to take one little girl's really crummy birthday visit to Disneyland and make it magical!

Promo-Man
06-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Third shift custodial the best shift to have. I worked it for two years many moons ago. Some tips get to your work location a little early have a couple of energy bars in your pocket to help you get though the night. When I worked it was midnight to 8 am most of the time and a 40 hour work week unlike other seasonal temporaries. I was able to get overtime to. Grad nights are fun to work but harder as you have less time to get your normal work done. I was on the boat crew and then New Orleans I liked the boat crew best

Quinten27
06-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Congrats on the new job!

It's always been a secret dream of mine to be able to move to down there and work at Disney or somewhere close by, so I have to say I'm a little jealous. :P

I looked on the one page there where it lists the hourly wages they pay, and not knowing much about Socal, is that close to average that you'd find in similiar types of work? Is that enough for a person to survive on down there, or would you have to work a 2nd job to get by (esp. since it seems a lot of the positions are not fulltime)?

mikotorocks714
06-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Third shift custodial the best shift to have. I worked it for two years many moons ago. Some tips get to your work location a little early have a couple of energy bars in your pocket to help you get though the night. When I worked it was midnight to 8 am most of the time and a 40 hour work week unlike other seasonal temporaries. I was able to get overtime to. Grad nights are fun to work but harder as you have less time to get your normal work done. I was on the boat crew and then New Orleans I liked the boat crew best

Awesome! Any more tips Promo Man? Our manager/guide told us that when we work grad night's that'll happen, but that they add more guys to a project so it can be finished faster. So I'm guessing, if one guy cleans one side of Star Tours, they'll add two guys instead so they can finish faster?

mikotorocks714
06-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Although you might not have the usual guest interaction, I just want to say that one of the best Disney experiences we had came from a custodial CM! It led to me writing my first ever CM compliment -- a multi-page letter.

We were celebrating my daughter's birthday. It seemed like everything that could go wrong with our time in the park that day did. We even encountered some guests who were SO rude and selfish that they seriously impacted our day. One man was so mean he made my daughter cry. We considered just going home, but we had reservations at the Disneyland Hotel.

We had never gone through the leftmost door of Indiana Jones (the future), so we decided to just ride Indy over and over to see if we could get through that door. We rode repeatedly, and it didn't happen. On the way out after what we thought would be our last time that night, we encountered a custodial CM. I don't remember how we got started chatting with him, but he ended up taking us back in the queue, showing us the elusive Eeyore parking lot sign with his flashlight, and pointing out other interesting things. Indy is her favorite ride, and he spent quite a bit of time talking with us about it.

Energized, we went on Indy again and lo and behold, we saw the future! We ran into the CM again on the way out and told him what had happened. He was very happy for us, and I swear, I thought he had some sort of magical switch that he pulled to finally make it happen.

The point...keep in mind that you don't have to be a VIP tour guide to make a guest feel special. A custodial CM managed to take one little girl's really crummy birthday visit to Disneyland and make it magical!

That was a VERY great story! I WOULD LOVE to be like that person, and I will make sure to be that nice with guests. :)

EVERY guest deserves to have a great day at Disneyland.

Promo-Man
06-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Awesome! Any more tips Promo Man? Our manager/guide told us that when we work grad night's that'll happen, but that they add more guys to a project so it can be finished faster. So I'm guessing, if one guy cleans one side of Star Tours, they'll add two guys instead so they can finish faster?

You take some shortcuts we never had more help, but I worked there a long time ago. Something’s never change, do the best you can and don't get caught up in politics.
The big thing is never lift something that is too heavy for you. Lift with you legs not your back if you need help ask for it.
Take a positive approach to the job and it will be a great job.

mikotorocks714
06-15-2007, 10:32 PM
You take some shortcuts we never had more help, but I worked there a long time ago. Something’s never change, do the best you can and don't get caught up in politics.
The big thing is never lift something that is too heavy for you. Lift with you legs not your back if you need help ask for it.
Take a positive approach to the job and it will be a great job.

Good info Promo-Man! Thanks! Quick question though, does each attraction or restaurant have their own trash bins for you to throw away whatever trash you find in said attraction or restaurant? Or do you have to carry it to a trash bin backstage for dumping?

TribeFan
06-16-2007, 07:24 AM
mikotorocks714, I like your style. This is not a job to you, it's an adventure. You are not cleaning, you are making the magic. You will have fun at Disney with that kind of an additude. Congrats and welcome to the team.

Also, the resort is VERY supportive of the 3rd shift team. A week or so they had breakfast for the whole team at the Disneyland Hotel.

Your department is lucky to have you.

petesimac
06-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Nice compliment, Tribefan.

mikotorocks714
06-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks TribeFan, that was very nice of you. Well, as I mentioned I love Disneyland as a guest and now as an employee this won't be just another job to me. I'm actually going to have fun cleaning and exploring the areas of Disneyland I've always wondered about as a kid. So I guess in a way, you can say that I've always wanted to know what was backstage and everything about "Disneyland after dark."

And if I ever do get to work with guests, I will make sure to treat them just the way I would love to be treated if I were to be a guest at Disneyland. With great guest service! :D

dcalover
06-16-2007, 05:57 PM
And if I ever do get to work with guests, I will make sure to treat them just the way I would love to be treated if I were to be a guest at Disneyland. With great guest service! :D

you wait a little!

mikotorocks714
06-16-2007, 06:29 PM
you wait a little!

LOL. Well, I've done my share of seeing guests be mean to CM's so I know what you mean.

For example one time I saw some lady/girl yelling at a CM that stands under the fast pass times outside of Space Mountain. She was yelling at him because no one told the people in the line that the ride was down, so everyone was left waiting in line for what seemed forever! Poor guy, it's not like it was his fault I'm guessing.

Doug
06-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Not seeing any pay rates....

Hey doug,
if you checkout disneyland jobs (disneylandjobs.com) they break down the payrates. :)

I've seen older tour guides (I think there are several factors that go into the position).

mikotorocks714
06-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Not seeing any pay rates....

Well, a simple google.com search would've answered your question, but alas here I am with an answer.

PAY RATES & JOB EXPECTATIONS
Below is a sampling of the starting rate for roles. Specific pay rates will be discussed during your interview. The rates are subject to change.

Attractions$8.20
Banquet Wait Help$7.25
Bell Services$7.25 - $8.11
Concierge$9.28
Cosmetologist$10.61
Culinary$8.32 - $8.53
Disney Desk$10.25
Door Attendant$8.83 – $9.28
Front Desk Clerk$10.75
Guest Relations/Tour Guides$8.85* - $9.15**
Guest Services$11.20
Guest Survey$8.50
Hotel Steward$10.57
Housekeeping Support$9.37
Laundry$9.75
Lifeguard$9.40
Merchandise/Stores$8.20
Ontario Warehouse$11.90
Parking & Transportation$8.20
Photographer$10.50
Reservation Agent$10.90
Seamstress$9.17
Security$9.50
Third-shift Custodial$10.00***
Valet$7.25
Walt Disney Travel Reservationist$11.20
Wardrobe$8.20
Warehouse Shipping$11.90

* Casual/Temporary/Seasonal Status
** Part-time or Full-time Status
***Includes third-shift differential
Scheduling expectations for hourly roles include:
• For seasonal roles: available to work for the peak seasons of Christmas, Easter, and summer.
• For part-time roles: available to work peak seasons, as well as weekends and nights for special events during non-peak seasons.
• For benefited part-time & full-time roles: fully available to work during the week and/or weekends.
• For all roles, principles of seniority are used for scheduling. However, every attempt is made to meet scheduling preferences for days off and shift assignments.

Transportation
Reliable transportation is a must. Public transportation and carpools may not coordinate with the Disneyland® Resort's changing schedules. A Commuter Assistance program, including carpools and metrolink options, is available.