PDA

View Full Version : September 13, 2007 Warning! [LA Unified Schools Out]

Rkkm
06-15-2007, 09:12 AM
The Los Angeles Unified School District has announced the 2007-2008 school year schedule for single track schools. September 13th will be an "unassigned day"- which is LAUnified-ese for no school. (This is the traditional day off for Yom Kippur - but they never say that is what it is.)

This means that several hundred thousand kids (up to 700,000-plus) and their teachers will be roaming the streets - many of whom headed for DL, including this one along with all the Disney lovers on her staff!

This past fall, this annual "unassigned day" saw huge crowds at DL.

The rest of the single track school year has just the tradtional days off .. with the LA Unified "spring recess" falling between March 17 and 21, 2008. Last day of school for the single track kids is June 19, 2008.

stan4d_steph
06-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks for posting the heads up. I'm sure a lot of people will be glad to know to rearrange their schedules if possible.

mkraemer
06-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Our school district has a day off for Yom Kippur too (and we, too, call it something else but not an 'unassigned' day). Two years ago, I thought it would be brilliant to go to DL since *nobody* else would have that day off.

How wrong I was!! The park was really crowded (considering it was October). And we decided that it was unlikely we'd go back on that particular weekend again.

Niwel
06-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Usually I'm in services wishing I was at Disneyland.... I guess this year I can be glad that I'm not. :)

Rkkm
06-15-2007, 03:22 PM
The Los Angeles Unified School District has announced the 2007-2008 school year schedule for single track schools. September 13th will be an "unassigned day"- which is LAUnified-ese for no school. (This is the traditional day off for Yom Kippur - but they never say that is what it is.)

OOPS!!! I meant Rosh Hashanah .. not Yom Kippur, which begins at sundown on September 21 and is observed all day Saturday on September 22nd. Sorry!

Leofoenget
06-15-2007, 07:14 PM

This means that several hundred thousand kids (up to 700,000-plus) and their teachers will be roaming the streets - many of whom headed for DL, including this one along with all the Disney lovers on her staff!

This past fall, this annual "unassigned day" saw huge crowds at DL.

The rest of the single track school year has just the tradtional days off .. with the LA Unified "spring recess" falling between March 17 and 21, 2008. Last day of school for the single track kids is June 19, 2008.

Thank GOODNESS I changed my vacation days to the following week! I had origionally planned on being there that day. Man I would have been mad, as I am attempting to sneak in on an off time to find Nemo!

However, after checking the calendar, Yom Kipper is the following week Sept 21st so not sure it's for that holiday....

Leofoenget
06-15-2007, 07:15 PM

ok

VickiC
06-15-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm not usually one to complain about lenthgy unneeded quotes with very short responses, but in this case......

Leofoenget
06-15-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm not usually one to complain about lenthgy unneeded quotes with very short responses, but in this case......

I am sorry, that post was an accident. I can go back and try to remove it.

jan

Niwel
06-15-2007, 10:40 PM
no worries kids -- I got it. :)

nmjohnston874
06-16-2007, 03:54 AM
We got caught in that mess last October as well. first was Yom Kippur weekend, then AZ schools were out that week for fall break as well as Utah schools for teacher inservice. So much for slow fall days at DL.

AVP
06-16-2007, 11:20 AM
I posted a note on the calendar, so people who are planning trips will know what to expect. Thanks! I remember how bad those crowds were last year.

AVP