PDA

View Full Version : Finally took the plunge! (Splash Mtn)

backsthepack
06-13-2007, 05:47 AM
So I am not a "big" ride person. Give me the gentle, happy rides. But our son decided he was old enough to face Splash Mountain this trip. I figured if my 8 year old can do it, I can do it. **we are both very, very afraid of heights....

Well we did it. Holy smoke. That drop is WAY up there. I made the mistake of taking the back seat. I am a small person, that seat is made for 2 people. I was using my figer tips to hang on to the handles and my butt flew out of the seat on the way down. But we braved it and handled it well. The picture is a riot. My back hurts from the rough landing I had, but otherwise, it was great. I will get on it again, just not in that seat.

Foodie
06-13-2007, 06:01 AM
Congratulations! Isn't it wonderful to find a new ride you love?! Splash Mountain can be pretty intense, so I can understand why you'd put off trying it. It's one of my faves. It's just so much fun, isn't it?!

-Foodie :D

Vegitabeta
06-13-2007, 06:12 AM
Congratulations! Isn't it wonderful to find a new ride you love?! Splash Mountain can be pretty intense, so I can understand why you'd put off trying it. It's one of my faves. It's just so much fun, isn't it?!

-Foodie :D
I was scared of going on it, but after I did, I loved it! Well done!

VegasMike21
06-13-2007, 06:26 AM
I remember going on Splash for the 1st time in WDW when I was 12 back when it opened and I was terrified. I finally got the guts to go on and ended up loving it. I rode Splash at WDW probably over 100 times. It's fun and you get used to the drop after awhile.

disneyhound
06-13-2007, 06:49 AM
Congrats! It's like your first jump off the high-dive, once you learn that it is not certain-death, your next time is a snap! :)

MrsPooh
06-13-2007, 08:23 AM
I love Splash Mountian, even though the drop always gets me.

I find if I tighten my stomach muscles as I drop, that nasty fluttery feeling you get in your tummy eases up. Much easier for me to do it that way. ;)

ETA: All the pictures of me on Splash have me gritting my teeth, probably evidence of that little trick! Makes for funny pictures!

nvmom
06-13-2007, 08:32 AM
So I am not a "big" ride person. Give me the gentle, happy rides I am exactly like this. It was my 3rd trip, this past Feb, that I finally tried a couple of big (in my opinion) rides :) - Thunder Mtn, which I especially loved. We've not done Splash because twice it's been closed and once it was just to chilly in our opinion... Maybe I'll get brave someday.

Good for you!

nvmom

barely
06-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Hooray for you! Next stop, Tower of Terror!:)

snappy
06-13-2007, 08:57 AM

Going from Splash to the Tower is a HUGE step. Besides the drops in the Tower the entire ride is scary!!!! I love the Tower but I've ridden it 100's of times and still get nervous!! Anyone else??

Vegitabeta
06-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Ok, ok, one step at a time now!

june1st1997
06-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Congratulations! This is not something everyone would do. You should be very proud of yourself.

Isn't it great how children help open your world up. I think it's one of the secret pleasures of being a parent.

Congrats again!

danyoung
06-13-2007, 09:19 AM
I find the older I get the harder it is to ride a new ride, especially if it involves a big drop. I'm getting up my nerve to ride the Subs next week, even though I'm really concerned that my claustrophobia might kick in HARD. We'll see. . .

SANDYMARIE
06-13-2007, 09:58 AM
I find the older I get the harder it is to ride a new ride, especially if it involves a big drop. I'm getting up my nerve to ride the Subs next week, even though I'm really concerned that my claustrophobia might kick in HARD. We'll see. . .

That's funny I was thinking the same thing. The last time I was in the sub was when I was in my 20's. That's me up in the corner! So, now being 40 something ! It's been on my mind. Like you say...........We'll see.

TTFN

DrAlice
06-13-2007, 01:58 PM
I was using my figer tips to hang on to the handles and my butt flew out of the seat on the way down........ I will get on it again, just not in that seat.

Remind me about the seats - If I remember correctly (it's been years since I've been on Splash Mountain), the logs have no seatbelts and just bars along the side to hang on to. Is that right?

I ask because my friend and I go yearly to DL, but she refuses to ride it. Not only is she afraid of heights, but she has a particular phobia with log rides - she broke her collarbone on a log ride when she was a kid because she was holding on so tightly. I manage to get her on just about everything else, but the lack of "security" in the seats prevents her from riding this.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that WDW Splash Mountain logs are a little different. Does anyone know? We're thinking about making next year's trip to WDW instead of DL, and it would be great if I could finally get a Splash Mountain fix. :)

-A

Bytebear
06-13-2007, 02:03 PM

Ok, ok, one step at a time now!
So, I guess Tatsu at Magic Mountain is out then?

Another Dimension
06-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Congrats! :cool:

I think the next logical step would be GRR at DCA...
It's not really that high, but is much wetter and more intense than Splash.

limace
06-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Going from Splash to the Tower is a HUGE step. Besides the drops in the Tower the entire ride is scary!!!! I love the Tower but I've ridden it 100's of times and still get nervous!! Anyone else??

I love ToT (though have only ridden it in WDW) but actually I think the drop itself in Splash is scarier for me because you are looking down more, rather than straight out-if that makes sense. They are both fabulous rides.

VegasMike21
06-14-2007, 01:36 AM
So, I guess Tatsu at Magic Mountain is out then?

I think maybe California Screamin' would be the next step in this case.

backsthepack
06-14-2007, 06:04 AM
Oh, we did the rapids at DCA and I loved that! It was amazing fun. The drops are baby drops compared to Splash. I cannot do roller coasters yet. That is something that I did as a teen, but in my adult life I have lost all "want" for them. TOT is my next venture when we go back in October. For me it is all about the visual aspect of the rides. I can ride things if I don't realize that I am up high. If I can see the drop with my eyes (as in splash) then I am in trouble. So for TOT I figure I can just keep my eyes closed! LOL!

For the poster asking about the seats on Splash.....no, there are no seatbelts. I wish there were. In all of the other seats a person with even short arms can hold onto the handles. But the last seat is made for 2 people and is much, much wider. That is why I couldn't hang on.

danyoung
06-14-2007, 06:12 AM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that WDW Splash Mountain logs are a little different. Does anyone know?

If I'm remembering right, the logs in Florida have 3 or 4 rows of side by side seats.

jakoky
06-14-2007, 08:02 AM
i love splash, i love the coasters, i HATE tower or terror....last year i did it 3 times and realized i wasnt enjoying it at all( i hate heights AND elevators)...my kids convinced me to try maliboomer and i said i would do it once to get them to stop bugging me, well, i was terrified but loved it and probably did it at least 10 more times in the next few days.....funny how different rides cause such fear in us!
sharon
me, dh, dd-16-:cheer2:, ds-almost 14-:goofy:, dd-11 1/2-:tink:
WDW-Dec 04-first disney experience for my DH, DD, DS, DD and first time at WDW for us all
DL-MAY 06-first time at DL for DH and kids , and my 9th(but the first 8 were all by the time i was about 13) so it was all new to me
:cool1: COUNTDOWN IS ON....WE ARE GOING BACK TO DL SEPT 15-25!!!!!