PDA

View Full Version : Questions about PriceLine...

nvmom
06-11-2007, 01:10 PM
A quick question on priceline since I've seen many people suggest it for a good hotel deal. How soon do you bid? I'm having a dream that I might surprise dh with a 2 night, 3 day trip around the 20th of Aug for our 15th Anniv. Do I bid now? Or do you get the best deals just days before your requested date? And 3 stars will keep me safe? I hate a scummy motel :)

I'd have to do this on a budget... and since we'd have to fly out of Reno NV- and there's not much option in price of airline tickets, it seems like the hotel is one place I could save money. Thanks.

nvmom

MrsPooh
06-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I've used Priceline a couple of times, and have had good success.

You find out if your bid was accepted right away.

If you got to biddingfortravel.com, it lists the commonly picked hotels in the area you are looking for and the star range, you can go check the hotels websites and see if you like what you see, that helps. biddingfortravel also gives you tips on how to bid.

We were happy both times we went.

I will say one thing: if you can budget it in, pay for the trip insurance. We booked a trip last summer, and spent around $400 on the room, then my father passed away suddenly. I spent the extra $5 a day for the insurance and got all of my money back (minus the trip insurance fee.) I did have to fill out paperwork for it, but it was really worth it to me. Just an idea.

I come from Reno too! ;)

nvmom
06-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Thank you Mrs Pooh. I'll take a look on that website.

Theresa

Bytebear
06-11-2007, 04:50 PM
I use priceline a lot. I ended up last weekend in SD without a hotel, and tried to use priceline. But every bid I put in was rejected. They make you change something about your bid each time, adding a wider location and star rating mostly. So be prepared to change your settings if your bid is rejected. You may not want to risk the 2 star in several OC locations. I never did get a bid that day and ended up booking directly through a hotel. I think it was because it was so last minute. Usually I bid about 4 days in advance.

You might want to look at hotel rates first, compare the priceline "standard price" and bid below that amount. You also might want to try to find some online blogs for it and other bidding sites. Often people post their accepted bids, so you can get a feel for what the right amount to bid is. I have gotten 4 stars in downtown SD for a very good price. If your bid is close to their minimum, they may offer you the room for $20 more.

Bottom line: take some time to research how priceline works and bid with a strategy.

DisneyLynn
06-11-2007, 09:41 PM
I've used priceline before, and most of the time I'm pretty happy. Last time we did it for Disneyland we got 3* Holiday Inn, it was a nice property, but a little ways away from the park (it's near the 5 fwy and Katella), but we only paid $50. The only "scummy" 3* i've heard of is the Radisson on Harbor.

PinkFloyd
06-12-2007, 08:05 AM
I suggest exploring a great site called biddingfortravel.com for information on bidding strategy.

Rob9874
06-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Another vote for biddingfortravel.com. They list all the participating hotels in each area of town, so when you rebid, you add a section of town that has no hotels with the same stars that you want. For example, you want 3* at Disneyland, but your first offer is rejected. You then add an area and submit a higher offer. To ensure that you don't get a hotel in another area of town, you add an area that only has 2* and 4* hotels.

naccrat325
06-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Do any of you use priceline for hotels for say a party of 5? My husband and I used priceline a lot before children and when we had our 1st child, but then we had twins so we are at 2 adults and 3 children under the age of 5. What do you suggest? I loved using priceline before because of the great deals......sigh.

Malcon10t
06-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Hotwire is an option then. The deals aren't quite as good, but they are cheaper and they do provide enough beds to accommodate the party entered/

experiment626
06-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Priceline only guarentees accomidations for 2. But I have never had problem getting a room with two beds.

And just to clarify the "free rebid" you add areas that do not have a hotels at or higher than your desired zone. Since you can be upgraded to a higher level if you put in an area that has a higher * rating you could possibliy wind up in that area.

Jwebbal
06-12-2007, 07:18 PM
We routinely use Priceline for the Disneyland area, and usually get very nice rooms for about $50 plus taxes. Just stayed in the Hyatt Regency OC, which while actually just in Garden Grove (still close), I love that hotel the most.