PDA

View Full Version : Grad Nite Info for My Daughter H.S.

socabch
06-20-2002, 02:09 PM
I have been asked by a PTA person to help gather up info for Grad Nite next year. Someone was suppoased to get it last year and things got put off until it was too late to plan. I'm starting early. Who do I call? Any CM's have any extra tips on reserving a certain date? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!!:D

Techie7
06-20-2002, 02:31 PM
Disneyland Grad Night Website (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneylandresort/Disneyland/GradNite/index)

Try this out it has the numbers to call as well as some of the rules and regulations. I would check into it now as dates fill up quickly.

tinkfreak
06-20-2002, 03:58 PM
I don't know how the process works or even if you get your choice of dates, but the first few GN's are usually the least crowded. Also, the CM's are usually a little less cranky:cool: .

Uncle Dick
06-20-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by socabch
I have been asked by a PTA person to help gather up info for Grad Nite next year. Someone was suppoased to get it last year and things got put off until it was too late to plan. I'm starting early. Who do I call? Any CM's have any extra tips on reserving a certain date? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!!:D
Since you're so early into the planning process, I might recommend that you do not attend Grad Nite at Disneyland. Your school would be much better served making it's own unofficial "Grad Day" at the park for several reasons:

1) Grad Nite admission and regular daily admission are virtually the same (especially with group rates).

2) Grad Nite = about 7 hours in the park with limited attraction offerings.
Regular admission = up to 16 hours in the park depending on which day you go with everything operating and more extensive entertainment options.

3) Grad Nite = tired and cranky teens.
Regular admission = everyone awake and ready to have some fun!

4) Grad Nite = Draconian rules disallowing basic necessities (like backpacks).
Regular admission = Guest friendly rules and no security guard frisking!

5) Grad Nite = you go when Disney says you can go.
Regular admission = visit whenever you like.

In fact, about the only reason I could see to go to Grad Nite vs. any other day at the park is the rather short lines for the few attractions that are open. Otherwise, it's a complete bust. I think that's about the best info I could provide you with.

DisneylandKid
06-20-2002, 05:12 PM
What's with this rule?

The following items are unacceptable for everyone in attendance

Clothing affiliated with school, sports team, group or club

Uncle Dick
06-20-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by DisneylandKid
What's with this rule?

Many schools have rules that ban clothing with sports logos on them. One of those "gang-related" thingy-ma-bobs, I guess. As I understand, some schools in the LA area have pretty intense rivalries, too, so the school-related clothing ban is understandable.

MickeyD
06-20-2002, 05:43 PM
What's with this rule?

Are you kidding me? You're complaining about this???? You should have seen the dress code when I went to Grad Nite! :D :D

mad4mky
06-20-2002, 06:08 PM
The best defense I have for Grad Nite at Disneyland is...THE MEMORIES...

To this day, both my husband and I still talk about our Grad Nites at Disneyland...him, class of 1969, me, class of 1977.

Meeting other kids from other schools, flirting, the bands, etc. Was a blast. :D

So...even though Uncle Dick has some good points...remember, it's their memories you are making...not yours. :)

Ace
06-20-2002, 06:09 PM
which attractions are open?

socabch
06-20-2002, 07:45 PM
Thanks for everyone's input.

Uncle Dick & mad4mky have good points. Lucky for me the decision will be up to the new student council 2002-2003. I'll bring all the info to the table and they can decide how to handle it. This year they had an on campus Grad Nite. The parents worked very hard to set it up and clean up. But attendance was low because a lot of kids thought GradNite was going to be at DLR this year. And as I said earlier the planning got delayed so it didn't happen.

DisneylandKid
06-20-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD

Are you kidding me? You're complaining about this???? You should have seen the dress code when I went to Grad Nite! :D :D I wasn't complaining... I was just curious.

sydney
06-20-2002, 09:27 PM
My gradnite at DLR experience was four years ago. I had fun, but was glad that my school was going it *in addition to* our real day of graduation grad night event. the disneyland night was more of a chance like the week before finals to have fun before the big stress hit for the last time. ;) I remember that all e-tickets were open, and that there were lots of dance areas set up, and that the matterhorn had the name of each school attending plastered in laser writing across it's face.

The downside I see for a DL grad night (besides those mentioned above) is that everyone gets split up into small groups, and as I went to a small school with a class size under 50, it meant a lot more at our actual grad nite event to have everyone together. At DL, some people wanted to only dance, some wanted to just do rides, etc. and as it's hard to get tickets for the actual night of graduation for most schools, sometimes not everone can come.
It's also pretty expensive.
I definitely feel that for those who can afford this scenario, it makes an excellent addition to an on campus gradnight, where people spend more time together. however, each school is different, and as the DL gradnight standards change (for the worse, or so I hear), other factors may make your decision easier.

disneynut
06-20-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD

You should have seen the dress code when I went to Grad Nite! :D :D

Exactly what I was thinking...try riding the Matterhorn in a dress and nylons. :eek: Or better yet changing into your dress and nylons (and heels :rolleyes: ) on a bus driving through Bakersfield. But there are fun memories of DL with friends so I'm glad I had the chance to go.

Uncle Dick
06-21-2002, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by mad4mky
The best defense I have for Grad Nite at Disneyland is...THE MEMORIES...

To this day, both my husband and I still talk about our Grad Nites at Disneyland...him, class of 1969, me, class of 1977.

Meeting other kids from other schools, flirting, the bands, etc. Was a blast. :D
Unfortunately, the Grad Nite of today is but a shadow of past years. First of all, there are no bands, only radio stations. I guess if you like listening to the radio instead of the usual Disney music, it's okay, but I'd rather listen to Barrage or Billy Hill and Hillbillies.

I suppose a lot of it has to do with me personally. I did not like much of anyone from my high school class and have had no contact with any of them since graduation. I also prefer to visit Disneyland alone, in a semi-lucid state, neither of which were encouraged at Grad Nite. There's just something wrong about seeing people you know at Disneyland....

Anyway, you might want to check out Al's update on Grad Nite (http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/update28.htm) from last year. While Al may have a tendency to skew things to the negative in his updates, his thoughts on Grad Nite are dead on. If I had known then what I know now, I would've saved my $80 and visited Disneyland on my own.

My only memories of Grad Nite: being very, very tired. Finally stepping foot into Festival of Fools only to leave a few minutes later in an attempt to escape the annoying R&B music. Finally stepping foot into Aladdin's Oasis only to leave a few minutes later in an attempt to escape the annoying techno music. Thinking how wrong it was to hear "Limp Bizkit" inside Disneyland. Hearing "We Like to Party" no less than five times throughout the night (piped onto speaker systems throughout the park, replacing the typical atmosphere music.). Trying to go on the Tiki Room, Country Bears, small world, Roger Rabbit, etc. and finding them all closed for no apparent reason (Mr. Lincoln, Innoventions, the Monorail and the entirety of Toontown were closed also). Seeing kids I hated in high school invading my favorite place.

Sad to say, I had more fun checking the busses in at the tolls this year than attending my own Grad Nite last year.

mad4mky
06-21-2002, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Unfortunately, the Grad Nite of today is but a shadow of past years. First of all, there are no bands, only radio stations. I guess if you like listening to the radio instead of the usual Disney music, it's okay, but I'd rather listen to Barrage or Billy Hill and Hillbillies.

I suppose a lot of it has to do with me personally. I did not like much of anyone from my high school class and have had no contact with any of them since graduation. I also prefer to visit Disneyland alone, in a semi-lucid state, neither of which were encouraged at Grad Nite. There's just something wrong about seeing people you know at Disneyland....

Well that is just darned sad :crying: , that they had to mess with GradNites...
It was the one of the highlights of our Senior year...before we all went out seperate ways into the world (I have my 25th reunion...gee, again showing my age...this year...and these people still will talk about GradNite).

And...Uncle Dick...I am sorry to hear about your high school class. Some of my best memories were of high school, albeit, I wouldn't go back. My daughter has the same feelings as you...high school was just ok. I don't think there are too many people there that she'll really miss (most of her friends are from other places)...

Ace
06-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
My only memories of Grad Nite: being very, very tired. Finally stepping foot into Festival of Fools only to leave a few minutes later in an attempt to escape the annoying R&B music. Finally stepping foot into Aladdin's Oasis only to leave a few minutes later in an attempt to escape the annoying techno music. Thinking how wrong it was to hear "Limp Bizkit" inside Disneyland. Hearing "We Like to Party" no less than five times throughout the night (piped onto speaker systems throughout the park, replacing the typical atmosphere music.). Trying to go on the Tiki Room, Country Bears, small world, Roger Rabbit, etc. and finding them all closed for no apparent reason (Mr. Lincoln, Innoventions, the Monorail and the entirety of Toontown were closed also). Seeing kids I hated in high school invading my favorite place.

Well, ya know. High school kids really don't care about Disneyland, it's just another theme park and who cares if the slow rides are closed. I'm starting to wonder if I don't want to go in 3 years, since I think hearing Limp Bizkit over the speakers in NOS would scar me for life.

MickeyD
06-21-2002, 10:28 AM
I wasn't complaining... I was just curious.

Yeah, I know. I wasn't trying to be harsh with you, I was just joking and reminiscing about what I had to wear to Grad Nite. I tried to convey that with the :D :D .

Bill Catherall
06-21-2002, 11:06 AM
Memories?? I have very little memory of what happened that night...Class of '91. And it wasn't a drug induced stupor. ;) I was soooooooooooo tired I was a walking zombie all night.

I remember taking our picture with the character (Tigger...my date's favorite...looking back on the picture I looked as bad as I felt). I think I ate a browny sundae...I'm not sure. I do remember the sun coming up...I was somewhere in Tomorrowland. I remember that because I thought it was weird being at Disneyland during sunrise. Other than that, I may as well not have gone. If it was a day trip I'm sure I'd remember much much more...and would have had more fun too. Wearing a suit (and my date wearing a dress) wasn't very comfortable for an all-nighter at Disneyland.

I've pulled all-nighters before, and I can still remember every detail of every one...but I draw a blank on Grad Nite. I do have a souvenir sipper that I still use all the time at home though...so I must have been there. :D

hefferdude
06-21-2002, 11:25 AM
To this day, both my husband and I still talk about our Grad Nites at Disneyland...him, class of 1969, me, class of 1977. ;)

Anyone remember " no jeans and men could not have long hair?"

!!!!!
-:eek: -

eh? whats that you say sonny? :D

But there was live music!

SteveCJB2001
06-21-2002, 11:30 AM
I would suggest grad night. It's one of those once in a life time experiences. Personally I wouldnt mind going to grad night every year just because its different. Its out of the ordinary to walk along main Street and hear the secular (outside world) music playing. It's cool you know to hang out with people for maybe the last time at a place like Disneyland. I don't know, I have a lot of memories from grad night and i wish the public schools in my area were allowed to take a guest with them cause i would not even have to think twice about paying $55 to go to grad night again.

cameraman
06-21-2002, 11:41 AM
do not bring any gum candy markers caps belts with spikes any drugs protection just leave all that stuff at home. Oh HAVE A DISNEY DAY.

mad4mky
06-21-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Memories?? I have very little memory of what happened that night...Class of '91. And it wasn't a drug induced stupor. ;) I was soooooooooooo tired I was a walking zombie all night.

This feeling is not GradNite exclusive...

Two years ago when Hubby dear and I flew to WDW, for our Disney Cruise, we took a red-eye flight. To this day, ask me what Magic Kingdom was like for my very first time ever...It's a fuzzy, blurry memory...I just can't seem to focus on what the day was like...I was a zombie. I think this kind of thing is harder when we get older...but 18 year olds...they CAN handle it!

So...I still think GradNite memories still can be made...if you want them to. It's an individual thing. Even if a GradNite was held at the high school. Some kids are going to love it, and other kids are going to complain it was "hokey" and waste of a great night to party about their big accomplishment.

:rolleyes:

I just know from my experience...I loved it.

mousey_girl
06-21-2002, 08:49 PM
I went in '86. I could have gone twice that year, once with a friend, her school went a week before mine. Ours was on the night of graduation and the only thing that bugged me were the people who came in from out of town, I had to miss my own grad party!!

I remember the no perfume rule (cuz the bottles could be filled with alcohol not perfume). We were also warned that we would be searched by the chaperones on our bus, but the chaps on our bus were older (not by much) siblings to a classmate (meaning no searches).

I pushed the dress code as far as I could. I wore lightweigt cotton pants, a tank top with a blouse over it and I carried a jacket. I could not belive what some of the girls were wearing! They looked more like Vegas street walkers than high school grads. Short cocktail dresses (complete with sequins) and 4 inch spikes heals!

My picture was with Pluto. Pluto was having waaaaaaaaaay too much fun. He tickeled me the entire time! I love that pic!

They had bands on Tom Sawyer Island, the Tomorrowland Terrace and a few other places throughout the park. My friends and I never stopped long enough to watch and the areas with the bands were extremly crowded. The other crowd was HM. The line was 2 hours long, stretched all the way into the train station!

On the way home most of the bus crashed, except for the boys in the back dropping acid. I was wide awake (not just from the boys attemtping to sing, but I had taken Vivarin during the night because I still had to drive 4 of my friends home when we got back to town).

I enjoyed grad night, it was a good way to end my high school experience, both the good and the bad. Go again? Only when it is MY turn to chaparone for The Boy's grad night (in 13 years!!).

blusilva
06-22-2002, 03:16 PM
Grad Nite '84: I had the choice of wearing a dress that hit below the knees or a "color-coordinated pantsuit". Couldn't get away with something sensible like black pants and a silk top. Both parts of the pantsuit had to be made of the same material and be predominantly the same color. I remember the example in the brochure vividly. She was wearing a mint green pantsuit with a humongous collar and white piping. *gag*

Needless to say, I wore a dress. Which is huge because I only ever wear dresses to funerals and the occassional wedding. I had to pick my below-the-knee dress to match flats, because I was SO not wearing heels to Disneyland. I ended up with a dress that looked like something Lucy Ricardo would have worn. I have pictures of my friends and me all riding side saddle on the carrousel.