PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion crowd on Aug. 9, 1969 vs. Nemo crowd tomorrow [June 11]

jcruise86
06-10-2007, 06:45 AM
HM on Aug. 9, 1969: Empty HM shell had sat there for years.
vs.
Nemo on June 11, 2007: Lagoon sat empty for even longer.

Tie.

HM: Opened when school was out.
vs.
Nemo: most kids from K-11 still in school that day.

HM.

HM: No soft opening?
vs.
Nemo: soft openings might actually increase crowds with great reviews

Tie

HM: interesting radio ads promoted the HM
vs.
Nemo: multi-media blitz

Nemo.

I wish Disney released attendance figures so we could bet on this. (Darkbeer could get rich with his own newsletter!)
I think the HM opening day set a record (80K?)
Nemo tomorrow: ??? 50K? The fire dept. limit? (Reached too often these days!)

jcruise86
06-10-2007, 08:11 AM
P.S. CONTEST :D with no reward. :( :

Please post photos (on the photo thread?) of guests waiting in line for Nemo and state when they were taken.
Will the longest line be on Monday, June 11, or on Saturday, June 16?
How long will it be?
Who can post the longest line?!
(This might be the "Paris behind bars" shot for Disneyland this coming week.)

And how long will the line be at City Hall on Monday afternoon for people seeking rain checks because they paid to ride Nemo based on Disney's ads?
If there is one, I'd be interested in seeing a photo of that line too--though I hope there is no such line.

Suggestion for Disneyland: have entertainers galore (through June 24) for those waiting in line. And maybe (in the next <23 hours--yeah, right) whip together themed porta-potties for along the line route and have food vending carts all along there too. Sounds (and is) tacky, but for those waiting in line. . . well, you'll see!

jcruise86
06-10-2007, 09:37 AM
The calendar on Disneyland's official Web site stated that there will be a Nemo opening ceremony tomorrow for invited guests, and that it won't be opened to the general public till the afternoon.
This may upset guests coming just to ride Nemo.

Malcon10t
06-10-2007, 10:52 AM
I wish Disney released attendance figures so we could bet on this. (Darkbeer could get rich with his own newsletter!)
I think the HM opening day set a record (80K?)
Nemo tomorrow: ??? 50K? The fire dept. limit? (Reached too often these days!)Just to clarify, tthere is a big difference between attendance numbers and capacity. Attendance can often be in the 70,000s, while capacity is around 55000. People will come early, ride a couple rides and leave.

As for schools being still in session, northern Ca schools are out as are most of AZ. I think there are a few LA area schools still in, but the UCs and Cal States are out, and most have already started summer sessions.

capst
06-10-2007, 12:12 PM
World Population, 1969 3,632,821,593

World Population, 2007 6,605,046,992

I hope they can handle the extra 3 billion or so. :fez:

VickiC
06-10-2007, 01:26 PM
As for schools being still in session, northern Ca schools are out as are most of AZ. I think there are a few LA area schools still in, but the UCs and Cal States are out, and most have already started summer sessions.

There's more than a few LA area schools still in. Every kid I know is still in school unitl Thursdya or Friday and that's in 4 or 5 different districts.

Malcon10t
06-10-2007, 02:53 PM
There's more than a few LA area schools still in. Every kid I know is still in school unitl Thursdya or Friday and that's in 4 or 5 different districts.I thought we were late in getting out the end of May (most schools back east were out 1-2 weeks prior to us.) But we go back mid August and only get 2 weeks at Christmas.

Goosegirl
06-10-2007, 03:15 PM
We are in Northern CA and my teenager got out last week.

Darkbeer
06-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Here is what I know about tomorrow's event...

The ceremony will include a few staged subs on the western edge of the lagoon, and a big inflatable whale. A monorail will be wrapped in plastic to look like a submarine and will be driven into place above the lagoon.

It will take at least 90 minutes to clean it all up, and they are hoping to get the ride opened by Noon or 1:00pm at the latest.

The line will begin forming up near Small World first thing on Monday morning.

And an FYI for Malcon10t, HISTA was closed today due to the Media event, pretty much as I described it, the entire East Side from R2P2 to the Matterhorn was closed, and they were using the former smoking section as the Matterhorn queue to keep the parade route clear.

Tinkermommy
06-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Our district (in the High Desert) is still in session. Our last day is June 22.

I feel like we're missing the whole beginning of summer!

(And boy am I tempted to take the kidlet out of school to see the monorail dressed like a sub...somebody talk me down! :p )

jcruise86
06-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Here is what I know about tomorrow's event...

The ceremony will include a few staged subs on the western edge of the lagoon, and a big inflatable whale. A monorail will be wrapped in plastic to look like a submarine and will be driven into place above the lagoon.

It will take at least 90 minutes to clean it all up, and they are hoping to get the ride opened by Noon or 1:00pm at the latest.

The line will begin forming up near Small World first thing on Monday morning. . .
Isn't Small World like four miles away?

Thanks, Darkbeer!

Malcon10t
06-10-2007, 06:53 PM
And an FYI for Malcon10t, HISTA was closed today due to the Media event, pretty much as I described it, the entire East Side from R2P2 to the Matterhorn was closed, and they were using the former smoking section as the Matterhorn queue to keep the parade route clear.Thanks for the update!!

Leslie21
06-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Just to clarify, tthere is a big difference between attendance numbers and capacity. Attendance can often be in the 70,000s, while capacity is around 55000. People will come early, ride a couple rides and leave.

Actually, UCs have finals this week so we don't get out until the end of this week. If we were free, I'd be at Disneyland right now :)

Edit:

This is also my 1st post : ) I actually had an account on here since 2005 but I forgot the password and then tried to get it but never got the email. So, I'm not really new but I am sort of new considering this is my first post in a very long time.

Seashellmama
06-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Our district (in the High Desert) is still in session. Our last day is June 22.

I feel like we're missing the whole beginning of summer!

(And boy am I tempted to take the kidlet out of school to see the monorail dressed like a sub...somebody talk me down! :p )

From what I can tell, it seems to me like you should be homeschooling her anyway, using a self-developed "All Disneyland All The Time" curriculum. ;)

cstephens
06-11-2007, 10:47 AM
The calendar on Disneyland's official Web site stated that there will be a Nemo opening ceremony tomorrow for invited guests, and that it won't be opened to the general public till the afternoon.
This may upset guests coming just to ride Nemo.

But if they had looked at the website, they would have seen that. There are also signs in the esplanade that state Nemo won't open until noon today.

There was early entry this morning, but when the regular gates of Disneyland opened this morning at 8am, the lines were already to the gates of DCA.

When I left the park at about 8:30am, the CM was recommending that everyone, including APs, get a handstamp today. So I sit here at work with a handstamp since I'm going back to the park tonight after work.