PDA

View Full Version : OK I am going o give DCA a fair chance... so what is the best stuff to see?

Tigertail777
06-20-2002, 12:31 PM
We are going in July, and I have stated my dislike for DCA from pics I have seen and word of mouth, but am willing to give it a chance and go with a relatively open mind, so what attractions are ones that you just absolutley cannot miss, and are their any interesting out of the way nooks and crannies to see? (like Disneyland's snow white grotto, or sleeping beauty castle tour) I want to see/do everything worth doing so I can decide for myself whether I like it or not. So all of you DCA fans, fill me in please? (also the best places to eat would be nice to know as well)
and being that it has a carnival/theme atmosphere I am hoping they have my all time fave carnival food: caramel apples, I love eating them at carnivals it always adds to the whole atmosphere for me. OK gang, let me know what you think.

Dave Z
06-20-2002, 12:41 PM
Just follow Willy Wonka's advice. If you want to enjoy it, you will.

I've enjoyed everything I've done there but don't miss Blast, Soarin', Grizzly or Screamin'.

Corn Dogs are good carny food, don't miss' em.

Check out the Grand Californian, it's beautiful. The entrance is by Grizzly. They will let you come back in that way I've heard.

Have fun.

Berry Princess
06-20-2002, 12:50 PM
Totally check out Soarin and Grizzly. Make sure if you don't do them early enough that you do get FastPasses. And you can hold one for each of those rides at the same time. At least when I was there Memorial Day weekend we were able to but they don't tell you this.
As for food, I really like the ABC Soap Opera Bistro. If you do eat there make reservations just incase it is busy. It was for the dinner when we went but not for lunch for us but that could be different right now. I really liked how the sections looked like sets from the soaps and they had the CMs "acting". We loved it. That is really the only place I have ate at there.

Check out the Grand Californian, it's beautiful. The entrance is by Grizzly. They will let you come back in that way I've heard.

I thought you could only use that entrance into the park/out of the park if you were staying at the hotel. They have signs for it stating that last time I noticed. Did they finally change it?

stan4d_steph
06-20-2002, 12:50 PM
I don't know if you've seen the Muppet*Vision 3-D at MGM, but if not, it's worth seeing. I really like the Muppets, so it was very enjoyable.

Disney's Animation in the Hollywood Backlot is also very cool, literally and figuratively. It's a great place to hang out if you're feeling overheated. Just grab a seat and watch the loop in the lobby.

As far as the Grand Californian, you can reenter the park through there, but they have signs stating that first entry is for hotel guests only. First entry probably isn't a big deal unless it's the begninning of the day and there is a line. I've gone through there many times and have never been asked to produce a hotel key.

Not Afraid
06-20-2002, 01:00 PM
The Animation building and all of the attrations housed within its wall are wonderful. I could spend hours in there, and sometimes do.

As for rides:

Soarin'
Screamin'
Grizzly River Run
Maliboomer

All good choices

Food:

Sundaes at Burrrbank IceCream (Steph, how did you miss this!)
Corn Dog Castle
The Wine Country Tratoria (My personal favorite)
Award Weiners (Wonderful and unusual "dogs")

In the GC - Try Storytellers or Whitewater Snacks or apa Rose for an EXCELLENT, but pricy, dinner.

stan4d_steph
06-20-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Sundaes at Burrrbank IceCream (Steph, how did you miss this!)

Must be the sleep deprivation... :p

Yes, as NA said, Burrrrbank has the best sundaes of the DLR. I highly recommend the Strawberry Station (2 scoops of ice cream with a raisin scone, strawberry topping, whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top) and the Steam 'n Chocolate (2 scoops, warm chocolate cake, hot fudge, whipped cream and chopped nuts), both served in a waffle cup. Mmm, yummy.

Chris, have you had ice cream today? :D

papajorgio
06-20-2002, 01:46 PM
take the boudin bakery tour, then eat at the pacific warf cafe.

awesome soup in a bread bowl.

this is the truth.

nick.

PineapplePrincess
06-20-2002, 01:54 PM
Make sure not to miss Blast!!!!
Make sure to get fastpasses like everyone has said. I was at DCA yesterday at 5ish and they were out of fp for soaring and the line was really really long :(

There are also a group of guys that perform in the PP area who are really good. They do all these crazy things, tumbling/gymastics...I am always worried they are going to smash their heads in. Nice to watch when you have a frozen lemonade :)

Marty
06-20-2002, 02:24 PM
Make sure to catch “A Chance to Shine” in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. This is a great Broadway-like little musical done right on the street. Also, when waiting for the Electrical parade, try and get a spot close to where “Road Trip” will do their pre-parade show. (Road Trip is a nifty little band that is pulled around on a trailer behind a nicely restored Mercury Woody.) Down at Pacific Wharf I wasted a few good hours grooving to a blues band that came on and did a killer set over lunch – and don’t forget to enjoy a glass of some very decent micro-brewed suds they sell there.

MagicBeliever
06-20-2002, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't miss Screamin or Soarin -- they are both fairly unique and a total blast.

lotsafuzz
06-20-2002, 02:40 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned "It's tough to be a bug"! WONDERFUL experience!! Do not miss it! I actually think it is my favorite attraction from BOTH parks.

I agree w/ others about Soarin' (try to get in the front seats if possible).

I really enjoyed Blast! mostly because I'm an ex-band geek, but also because it is cool inside and you can sit down.

Plan to spend time in The Animation building (don't foget to sit down and find out which character you are the most like!) .

I also suggest the Muppets 3D show, but ONLY before you do 'Bugs Life' or you will be disappointed in Muppets.

Techie7
06-20-2002, 02:42 PM
I agree with all of the attractions listed. Animation, Blast, Muppets, Soarin, Screamin, Grizzly, & try the sun wheel for a different experience.

Also someone noted that you could hold a fastpass for any one attraction and Soarin (IE Soarin is a freebee fastpass). This is NO LONGER true. As of last weekend you may only have one fastpass for DCA at a time (Except a ticket for Blast which is not really a fastpass).

Take some time to go into the Readwood Creek area there is some interesting things to do in there. Keep an open mind and you will find many interesting things to do in the park.

EandCDad
06-20-2002, 03:38 PM
If you go to this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6322&highlight=soarin) , you will see some other responses to a similar question about fun things to do at DCA.

Darkbeer
06-20-2002, 04:02 PM
I am partial to the Pacific Wharf Beer Truck:D

(come on folks, you ALL knew it was coming!!!!!)

cstephens
06-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Imhere
There are also a group of guys that perform in the PP area who are really good. They do all these crazy things, tumbling/gymastics...I am always worried they are going to smash their heads in. Nice to watch when you have a frozen lemonade :)

That would be the Wizard Acrobats. Love them.

Tigertail777
06-20-2002, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions guys. A few questions: I was under the impression that Mullholland madness was closed pretty much indefinately due to it jerking people around --is it open again?
I have heard so much about Blast! and I think I'd enjoy it, but what about older 50 somethin folks like my mom---do you think it is something that she could enjoy too?
Is steps in time gone now?
and lastly, no one has yet naswered, does DCA have my fave carny food: caramel apples?

Disney Nick
06-20-2002, 07:27 PM
Mullholland Madness is still open. I think she will enjoy Blast as I feel it is truly a show for all ages. It is a good show and I'm sure she will enjoy herself. Not sure about the caramel corn... Someone??

PineapplePrincess
06-20-2002, 07:33 PM
I have yet to hear anyone say that they didn't like Blast. From babies to Srs.. Comming out I tend to hear "It was SO cool" " I am so glad that you convinced me to go" I have been to maybe 30 performances, and I am telling you, it is neat!
I remember seeing caramel apples in the candy shop there whern you first come in. I'm not sure if they make them there or not but people were buying.

EandCDad
06-20-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Tigertail777

Is steps in time gone now?

Yes, it was replaced by Blast!

KarenW2
06-20-2002, 10:10 PM
Lots of good responses about things to do in DCA, but would you like to see some other pictures of what everybody's talking about? If so, go to http://members.cox.net/barry.wallis/ . It's our virtual photo album, that we started when we went to the special preview & scavenger hunt with panel discussion on 1-19-01, and update whenever we get a chance.

You definitely must check out the Beast's Library in the Animation Building! It's amazing. Neat interactive things to do there and the theming is the best! Also, take a walk around the area surrounding the Grizzly River Run. It's like being in a state park. Interesting themed details around here too! Make sure you read the list of "activities" on the bulletin board outside the Rushin' River Outfitters! Also, check out Fly 'n' Buy for some interesting Chuck Yeager theming (calendar & clock frozen in time)!

Nobody's mentioned the Who Wants to be a Millionaire Play It! game. We enjoy playing it whenever we're there. We've both made it into the "Hot Seat", in fact my DH has made it twice! Our favorite host is Ellen, but Mark's an OK guy too.

If you like coffee drinks, you MUST get the one at Burrbank that's like a Frapaccino, but better, cos it has ice cream in it!! I don't remember what it's called, something with Mocha Frap or something like that in the name, but it's wonderful!!

The clam chowder bread bowl is great at the Pacific WHARF (no Klingon's there!) Cafe, and Storyteller's Cafe at the GC is the best sit-down restaurant at the resort in our opinion! We think it's the best for food choices, portions, service and price! We've been there for breakfast, lunch & dinner, and have never had a bad meal yet. Their raspberry lemonade is the best, especially after a long, hot day of walking the parks!

BTW, the "carnival" theme you mentioned isn't indicative of the whole park, it's only the Paradise Pier area.

Please don't go in with the attitude of hating the park before you experience it for yourself first. You'll have a better time & you just might just be surprised! Here's hoping you have a great time!!

disneynut
06-20-2002, 10:31 PM
If you have kids, heck, even if you don't, my family loves the Redwood Challenge Trail. Lots of fun to explore.

Berry Princess
06-21-2002, 08:11 AM
Not sure if they have the carmal apples but they may. There is the one spot that sells candy so they might have it. I know we were saying something about the apples the last time we were at the parks but I can't remember which we were in. Sorry.
Mullholland Madness is open. We went on it at the end of last month. I thought it was ok. It does feel like you are being thrown around corners at the top but it doesn't look like it when you watch it. LOL I'd ride it again.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-21-2002, 12:47 PM
All the really good things have already been mentioned at least once, so:

"Golden Dreams" is a much-maligned attraction, but I enjoy it. And I suspect that at least some of those badmouthing it simply don't like Whoopi Goldberg.

'Taint in the same league as, say, Epcot's "American Adventure," but I'd certainly say it's worth giving it a chance.

And yes, "Waste of Time" is gone. Let us hope it doesn't come back to haunt us after Blast leaves.

cyberRoo
06-21-2002, 02:43 PM
Strips and Dips (or whatever it's called - the chicken strip place) has quasi caramel apples - it's an apple, cored and sliced, in a dish with caramel. Similar to what you can get in DL by lost and found.

I don't think I've seen "real" caramel apples at the candy store.

I'd assume that most of the Paradise Pier "restaurants" have them.

sydney
06-21-2002, 10:53 PM
remember you're stepping into a park you haven't been to before (if I read your post right), so that experience, for me, was weird in itself. i was used to disneyland and knowing my way around. so see if you can go with someone who loves DCA already. I've taken so-called dca haters to the park and done it "my way" and they've come out with a changed mind. It just depends how you take advantage of your day. know what you want to do-- are you a coaster person/thrill seeker? or are you looking for ambiance and quieter experiences. Do you do shows? or just rides? Check that wonderfully correct "Guide to the Magic" (the new map) and make sure you're planning a day you'll enjoy.

:D