PDA

View Full Version : Splash and Fantasmic Note [spoilers]

LIMANDL4EVA
06-20-2002, 06:06 AM
Just got back from DLR, Splash was 170 minutes long.
I saw Fantasmic after it's hiatus, basically the same exact show.
One addition though, right when the fireworks on the Mark Twain are lit, a bunch of cast members on stage hold fiber optic wands that pulse and change color to the music. I thought this was a very cool, but small addition to the show.

Something else I noticed that I have never seen before.

***SPOILER***
I was watching the dragon from the HM side, and I thought he was actually hydrolic, much to my dismay, he's a giant puppet! I could actually see a man behind the dragon basically pulling a large rope to pull the dragon up and down, I just thought it looked kinda cheesy from my stand point and all standing around me.

And believe was great too, but MUCH to my disappointment, the fan effect was gone this time:( .

AVP
06-20-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by LIMANDL4EVA
***SPOILER***
I was watching the dragon from the HM side, and I thought he was actually hydrolic, much to my dismay, he's a giant puppet! I could actually see a man behind the dragon basically pulling a large rope to pull the dragon up and down, I just thought it looked kinda cheesy from my stand point and all standing around me.

If it helps at all, you didn't see someone pulling the dragon's body up and down. What you saw was one of the two (or four, I can't remember), people who pull the wings back and forth. The dragon's "body" is on a hydraulic piston.

If you want to prevent further dismay, avoid watching Fantasmic from the extreme sides. You can pretty much see *everything* from the Harbor Galley dock. It's cool, but it will completely destroy any illusions you had.

AVP

smd4
06-20-2002, 09:51 AM
I thought he was actually hydrolic, much to my dismay, he's a giant puppet!

And this ruined the illusion for you how? It was somehow better when it was a fake dragon being contolled by a hydraulic piston, but now that you know it's a fake dragon being contolled by a person, that makes a big diference?

Sheesh.....:rolleyes:

AVP
06-20-2002, 11:31 AM
I think I understand what he was saying. When I saw Fantasmic! the first time, (luckily it was from dead center), I was completely blown away. I thought the dragon was a full, 3-D animatronic, and I could not figure out where it came from.

Since then I've seen the show from almost every angle available to guests, and it is a little strange to realize that this mighty dragon is nothing but a head on a stick draped with fabric.

Obviously I never thought it was a "real" dragon, but I did think it was a little more... elegant. Now that I know what I'm seeing, the mechanics are completely obvious. But first-time guests are still blown away by it, so the effect works.

AVP

LIMANDL4EVA
06-20-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Since then I've seen the show from almost every angle available to guests, and it is a little strange to realize that this mighty dragon is nothing but a head on a stick draped with fabric.AVP
Thats exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you for putting it so simply.

Techie7
06-20-2002, 02:53 PM
If you are into watching the "techie" stuff either side offers interesting views of the show. Near Westward Ho will provide you a view of the staging area for the columbia and mark twain as well as the other barges. From the other side near the harbor galley you can view most of the onstage stuff from an angle behind the water screens. As AVP said first timers should see the show center and avoid the extreme sides. After that it is interesting to see some of the "magic" behind the "magic."